New loco photos

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
I took a few photos of some of the locos I just painted.
The photos are a little fuzzy.
PC#1734 is an old Bachmann F9 shell modified to represent a phase II F7. It is powered by a heavily modified Model Power dual drive F7 chassis.

Attachments

• May14017.jpg
    May14017.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 519
F

Fred_M

You should enter these in the scratch competion. That GEEP pix is WOW. FRED

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
P&LE #9236 Was built from the junk box. A remotored, regeared IHC loco and a shortened Tyco tender shell on a modified Tyco caboose frame.

Attachments

• May14012.jpg
    May14012.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 522

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Oh yeah!!!! Those are nice Ray! That F unit looks particularly sharp with the red P. Say, where's the PC logos on the steamer!? :p
Beautiful work as always!
Ralph

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Thanks for the compliments everyone.
I am going to take some photos of some of my other creation, then try to decide which one to enter in the contest.
A steamer with PC logos. Hmmm, Interesting idea, as the PC actually had some old tenders on the roster. Thats half the battle. If a steam locomotive survived in operation on the PC I wonder what it would have been.
I'll get a photo of that modified MP chassis with an explanation of it.
For the photos I took outside , I turned an old garbage can upside down threw some dirt on it, placed a piece of track on then did some landscaping with my fingers.
Does this qualify as a diorama?
Unfortunately it was destroyed by one of those Dewey crosswinds that blew it halfway across the yard.

Ho Modeler

Apr 6, 2004
Fox Valley
Visit site
RAY

The P&LE #9236 is almost the exact model i have in my basement that persists not to run. It also refuses to yeild any information on its maker or any instruction sheets.
The motor is also shot in it.

Do you have any of the instruction sheets or any info on the motor you put into it???

I have been searching and working on this engine for 2 years now and have failed to make it run.
Does yours have a steam bellows in the tender?
Eric

F

Fred_M

Ray Marinaccio said:
For the photos I took outside , I turned an old garbage can upside down threw some dirt on it, placed a piece of track on then did some landscaping with my fingers.
Does this qualify as a diorama?
Unfortunately it was destroyed by one of those Dewey crosswinds that blew it halfway across the yard.
Of course it does. Mine was shot on the back deck railing. It's a mini scene or diorama. Mini scene is pretty much up to your interpetation. The only other rule was it's not part of your layout and it's your work. Besides, it's for fun and bragging rights only (and a pair of horn hook couples, winner pays shipping). Please join in. FRED

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Eric,
The only loco I can think of off hand with the smoke unit in the tender is an American Flyer Hudson. There may have been others.
Is there a number 6318 on the cab and New York Central on the tender?

The motor I put in #9236 was a 6 volt, 7 pole, ball bearing motor I salvaged from an MSA portable air sampler.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
This is a photo of #1734s chassis.
Electrical pickup was added to all wheels.
The worm and worm gear were changed to give it a 20/1 ratio as compared to 9/1 and my favorite motor from a VCR was installed.
Some milling was required for the motor to fit and a mounting plate was fabricated on one side and a support bracket on the other.

The motor was made into a double shaft motor by pressing the shaft further through the armature using my drill press as a arbor press.
This is a VERY delicate procedure as you must support the commutator as well as the polls when pressing to prevent crushing the commutator.

Styrene was added to the sides and rear to widen the chassis to the dimensions of the Bachmann shell. Mounting tabs where also fabricated.

The truck mounted coupler mounts were cut off and KDs were mounted on the chassis.

Attachments

• May14022.JPG
    May14022.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 479

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
This is an Athearn chassis with the same type motor. They are a high torque motor with a lower RPM.
This will power the F7 A-B-A set I'm finishing up.

Attachments

• May14023.JPG
    May14023.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 474

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
Ray Marinaccio said:
The worm and worm gear were changed to give it a 20/1 ratio as compared to 9/1 and my favorite motor from a VCR was installed.

HA! When the TV/VCR repair industry died I went through all of the junkers I kept for parts and stripped out all of the motors, gear trains, IR LED sensors, anything that I could think of that might be useful. Thank you Ray for justifing all of the work that I went through to do that. Thanks! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Hi Clark,
I'll bet you have a gold mine of useable parts.
I tell everyone I know not to throw away their old VCRs and old electronic equipment untill I look at it. If I can easily repair it for them I will, if not I salvage what I can.

F

Fred_M

Ray Marinaccio said:
Hi Clark,
I'll bet you have a gold mine of useable parts.
I tell everyone I know not to throw away their old VCRs and old electronic equipment untill I look at it. If I can easily repair it for them I will, if not I salvage what I can.
Some of the newer printers have stopped using stepper motors and went back to a dc motor. They are high quality can motors, and these could be used too. FRED

Greg Elems

Dec 19, 2002
Reno Nevada
Visit site
That 1734 turned out great Ray. I found your repower shots of the f unit of interest too. I've got a pair of F-9's that I want to kit-bash into an FP-7 and will study your frames for guidance.
Thanks for sharing.
Greg