New Lionel 2007 vol. 1 Catalog

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Geno, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Geno

Geno Member

The new Lionel catalog finally came out last night- I see alot of trains that will be joining my motive power and rolling stock rosters. What do you like in the new catalog?

2. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I hate to say it but I was up to 2:00am looking through both catalogs. I can't say there was anything that made me run to my LHS to place an order today.

I might consider the new K-Line PRR Hammerhead RS-3 with TMCC & Railsounds though. In addition the K-Line operating voltmeter car was cool too.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

I had to stop reading. My "wish list" is getting too long already. :D
  4. Geno

Geno Member

No takers? This is a tough crowd....

I like the CSX intermodal set, that 'bright future' SD-40-2 is really sharp. I'll probably go for the UP SD-40T-2's as well, since I missed those the first time around.

The UP heritage SD-70ACe's are nice, but I think MTH beat Lionel to the punch on this round- probably go for the UP version only, and get the SP and DRG from MTH.

I like the mechanical reefers too, but I have a feeling Weaver's model will pick on sales(especially the version with sound for $60- you know Lionel's version will cost alot more).

5. gfmucci

gfmucci Member

You mentioned "...especially the version with sound for $60- you know Lionel's version will cost alot more."

As a newby, I'm trying to learn the different levels of quality of different brands compared to price. I often hear how relatively expensive Lionel is...for whatever... track, engines, cars, etc.

Is the additional Lionel cost strictly because of the name and nostalgia value, or is there some quality, detail, feature difference? If so, what is the most common reason for price differences between brands, given similar features? Perhaps use the $60 mechanical reefer for your example as a starting point.

6. Geno

Geno Member

Lionel definitely uses it's image of tradition and quality to put a premium on it's prices, but typicallly they're not so much innovators as they are followers. It was actually MTH that set the trend in O gauge model trains towards making affordable scale models back in the early 1990's, despite the fact that Weaver and K-Line had already been doing so some years before.

Lionel's introduction of the modern 57' mechanical reefer is a good case in point- Weaver introduced this model a few years ago, but did so close to the time when they announced price increases- not a good way to sell a new model. As a result this model was far from a sellout. Weaver also offered it at various pricepoints- around $37 for the base model (plastic trucks, no sound), $47 with diecast trucks but no sound, $51 with sound and plastic trucks, $61 with diecast trucks and sound. These higher prices (for a company that was once known for inexpensive rolling stock) were not well received.

Lionel's model, while having diecast roller-bearing trucks, has no sound and is priced at $69. Given Lionel's reputation for premium price, it would be a fair assumption that the Railsounds version will top $100. Suddenly Weaver's $61 version is a good deal.

As far as quality goes, Weaver is known for being less expensive, but not lacking in quality. The earlier unwieghted frieght cars sold with plastic trucks had some tracking problems, but the rest of their line (especially high-end steamers) is known to be solid.
    The percieved notion that everything from Lionel is goldern is far from true, as seen from all of the posts in variuos forums, but it is true that Lionel products hold its' value better than any other company's model trains.

7. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Ok I saw a real live catalog today at my LHS. Pre-orders have to be in by 3-10-2007, at least that is the date he has on the counter. I spent a good hour just talking and reviewing the catalog.

Well I put a few on my list.

Pennsylvania 0-4-0 Steam Locomotive
    2 of the #6444-25 N&W Hopper ( the pink one) :)
  8. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Hi All:
    What I found exciting was the ELEVEN PAGES of American Flyer equipment! Rolling stock is repaints but the accessories are newbies! AND, there is a starter Docksider set for $299! I guess that's one of the few bright spots about Lionel gobbling up K-Line, Lionel finally has track that can be used to create Flyer operating sets. Just what little Susie and Johnnie need to get into the hobby. Too bad Lionel isn't going to repro the K-Line rolling stock for S, getting a boxcar, tanker or caboose for $20 was a great deal for a kid.

Anyway, glad to see the support for ESSS gauge!