New Layout

hickstmj

Marcie
Here is a drawing of my track plan. It will be HO. 10' x 6'. I am trying to stay with a 24" minimum radius. Any comments or suggestions welcome.
Thank you

Attachments

• Track JPEG.jpg
    Track JPEG.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 43

Russ Bellinis

Will you have access all the way around the layout? Even if it is against a wall or two walls in a corner, if it is on wheels so that you can move it out to get access all the way around will be good. Otherwise some of the tracks will be very hard to reach. A corrolary to "murphy's law" is that derailments always occur at the most inaccessable points on the layout.

hickstmj

Marcie
It will be in a corner, against the wall on the back & right sides. I am thinking about putting the legs on furniture mover instead of wheels so it can be pulled out. I know Murphy's Law too well & I believe he was an optimist. Has anyone used furniture movers on a layout this size? I think I will be using 4" of foamboard as a base to cut down on weight.

Nomad

furniture movers

I used them on a 6x12 ho layout that was all wood and had no problems. They worked very well in fact.

Loren

Triplex

I see a loop-to-loop plan, but with a cutoff that turns part of it into a continuous loop. As an operation-oriented modeller, I always wonder what the purpose of such arrangements is. To me, they defeat any impression of distance.

hickstmj

Marcie
I actually want ability for continuous run option so I can just sit back & watch them go sometimes but if you see a better way to allow this I would be interested.
Thank you for your input.

dwiemer

Marcie, I too like the option of continuous/loop running and point to point. I have a hidden reverse curve under a mountain and then, by virtue of the mountain, another reverse curve that is not too obvious. I have sidings arranged in such a way that I can do point to point as well as heavy yard work. It does take considerable space though to have both capabilities. I like your plan. Creative scenery will be very affective in diminishing the loops. As to access, you could have another hidden cut out on the left side in between the sidings and the loop. Good Luck,
Dennis

How will you be constructing your grades? Also, have you done a grade check to see what percent it will be? Very creative plan, looking forward to your progress.

hickstmj

Marcie
I'm not sure about the grades but I am looking at the Woodland Scenics risers. I will try to keep a maximum 3% grade.
Thank you for your interest Galen.

cnw1995

I like how this allows you the options you want - to run continuously or just switch - it also gives you a large area in the middle for scenery. Can you reach everywhere - from either the end that will not be in the corner or from the cut-out. That was a high value to me - because inevitably, "my" law being in effect as you noted, something will derail in the far-est corner.

hickstmj

Marcie
I am not sure if I will be able to reach everything yet. I may have to add a cut out on the left side too. It will be on furniture movers so it can be pulled out & it will not be too high as I am only 5' tall. When my husband starts to build framework I will try out the reach & may have to make some adjustments. Thank you for looking.