New layout

zachary

I am going to start on my layout in a couple of days now n scale and would like some advise on trackplans my space is a 4 x 8 cant go no bigger i am into modern day stuff thanks in advance zachary

ozzman

Hi Zachary

Given that most modern equipment is long, you should perhaps be looking at a layout with curves as broad as possible, both for reliability and for the sake of appearances. Model Railroader publish a wide range of books with track plans, so you might be able to find something in one of those.

Best wishes with the new layout!

ozzman

Addendum: In the Layout Planning forum, near the top, there's a "Givens and Druthers" form that you might find useful.

Gary

zachary

thanks ozzman ill be constructing my benchwork wensday i kinda like the worlds greatest hobby track plans shape and maybe ill play around with that nd i hve a pamplet with a couple of ho 4x8 plans

Triplex

i hve a pamplet with a couple of ho 4x8 plans
That's a good idea. With modern equipment in N, you'll be looking at curves in the 15" and up range, so the HO plans will be a good basis. Assuming, that is, that the plans are good to start with.

Are your goals similar to what you wanted with the HO layout you were planning a while back?

zachary

yes they are i am thinking of using the madison central for a starting base plan and modify it some what with a couple more sidings and a locomtive house

Triplex

The Madison Central doesn't really show the possibilities available in N in this space. One good thing about it is the "kidney bean" mainline shape.

To handle long trains on a small layout (and 4x8 still isn't large in N), a double-track main is often best.

zachary

ok ill think about it in the meantime can you draw a plan for me i really liked the other one could it be downsized from the ho size to my n scale size thanks zach

zachary

well its gonna be sometime next week when i can start my layout because my grandpa who is going to help me couldnt make it to my house today so next week

Triplex

i really liked the other one could it be downsized from the ho size to my n scale size
You mean my Cajon Pass design? I thought you said it was too complex? Anyway, it was 9x20 in HO, so it would require about 5x11 in N.

zachary

i looked it over a few times after that and i think i could of built it but i dont have the choice anymore so im on the hunt for a track plan im thinking of a enlarged senic and relaxed