New Layout

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Mangi, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Mangi

Mangi New Member

I welcome any suggestions on the beginning of my new layout. Specifically, what thickness plywood, 2x4's for support or other, sound cushion for plywood. ETC.
    Any info will be helpful
    Thanks, Mangi
  2. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Welcome to the Gauge. Have you ever done model railroading before and are you planning to model in one of the larger gauges since you posted on this forum?

3. Mangi

Mangi New Member

O scale layout.

I am planning on building an o scale layout in my basement. I would like suggestions on what to use for the platform. Is 3/8 plywood thick enough or are there standard sizes that should be used. Any suggestions on this would be appreciated.
  4. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Welcome Mangi, to the-gauge! :) First, when you say O scale, do you mean 2 rail or 3 rail? Both are easy to get into and get up and running. Next, what are you trying to model? A short line with small engines and short trains probably the way to go. Also, if you decide to model in 3 rail, there are several options to consider. There is scale size equipment, semi scale and O27. All run on the same gauge 3 rail track. O27 trains will take sharper curves. Full scale will take broader curves to work well.

For your layout, if you use 3/8 ply wood, you might want to frame your layout with the cross members closer together. There are some advantages to using 2"X4" for your frame and legs. It maybe over built, but it will be sturdy. It is amazing how some people will under build their layout and wonder why is doesn't work well after a few years. You didn't say if you were going to build a layout around the wall or in the middle of the room.

For your sound I would consider the Woodland Scenics foam road bed. It is readily available in local hobby shops. Another road bed to consider is Homasote. It is not so readily available but it does make a good roadbed. A third alternative is cork road bed. It also is available at your LHS. I would like to hear more of your layout ideas.

5. Mangi

Mangi New Member

Hey guys,
    I'm planning a three rail O scale track in my basement. I have about 10ft x 25ft to build. The only obstructions are two support poles about 10 feet apart. I have a starter lionel set NYcentral with the small cars but hope to integrate some of the longer engines and passenger cars, as ive heard they look awesome when lit up. Can you run the two diff. sized trains and keep the scale and appearance pleasing? Maintaining O scale of course.
    Someone please start me out with direction on my platform. My goal is to have a trestle bridge, a lake, a crane to load logs and a coal loading area. And I want a 25ft straight away to build up some speed and cross the trestle.
    Suggestions, pictures. etc.,
  6. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Hi John and welcome!
    I model HO but noticed an article about an O scale layout in the 2004 Great Model Railroads magazine that was built on 1/2 inch plywood. I'm guessing 3/8 would work if you have ample supports. Seems like most folks I've heard of use 1X2s or 2X2s for legs. With cross bracing or "L-girder" frame work that seems strong enough. Greg's commnet about the 2X4s is well taken though. Its really your preference depending on your needs.

I use homosote for sound deadening and roadbed....also for rock strat in some places!
    Best wishes!
  7. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi John and welcome to the gauge.
    I would suggest at least 1/2" plywood/chipboard and 1/2" insulation board(Sound board) on the top. use 3"x1" for the main boards and 2"x2" for the legs. Will work fine.