New Layout Wiring

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by LtSmokin, Jan 1, 2003.

1. LtSmokin

LtSmokin New Member

Hi, I'm in the process of building my first Layout. Its a very small HO scale Steam Era logging camp. You guys here at The-Gauge have been an invaluble source of inspiration and of knowledge. Which leads me to my very first post /question. Would any and all of you mind takeing a gander at this and let me know what you think of the wiring and the whole concept?

Here is the info:
    4x4 (1st section of planned expansion)
    Small Steam Locos pulling short logging and MOW cars
    DC with dual CAB (for a planned expansion)
    Atlas code 100 rail
    Atlas code 100 remote switches

Thanks Much, Steve

PS Shamus your wiring acadamy saved me alot of confusion.

Attached Files:

2. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Hi Steve,
    I think your layout is fine, it has switching, spurs, change of elevation, plenty of room for buildings/scenery, etc. You haven't had much response, I think, because there's no detail in your wiring, of which you requested an opinion, just a block layout. I'm sure it's alright, I have a little confusion about how you have your blocks set up, but as long as you have one feed to each insulated section (block) it will be ok.

Glad to have you along, have a ball!!
  3. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

I am also not clear about how to read your wiring diagram. It looks like you may be wiring the two spurs off the same circuit and i wouldn't do that as you may wish to have seperate operations occuring on each.

I take it the spur at top right is the connection to the rest of the layout and so power will be fed to the "spur" from there? Otherwise, with the isolators in place as shown, this short track section will receive no power.

Can't comment on the layout's logging suitability, knowing the rise in your track might be useful to those here on the gauge that do know logging operations.

4. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Steve: are you using switches with plastic frogs (e.g. Snap switches) or with all metal frogs? For metal frogs, you'll need another pair of insulated joints between the switches at the top right. I don't think you need the feed at that point.
  5. LtSmokin

LtSmokin New Member

Sorry about the confusion

After checking back on this post, I realize that the diagram is a lot more confusing than I thought. I'll try to answer some of your questions and work up a better diagram.

Basicly the idea is the mainline is one block and each spur is its own block as well. Each spur is double insulated and has at least one power feed.
    Yes the spur at the top is a connection for the future, but there is power to there on this layout. The long spur ending at the lower right is also a future connection.
    Well in the original plan there was zero elevation change but as I got going and inspired I added some. That took some thinking and deconstuction. My benchwork is Plywood with 1 1/2 inch foam insulation board. I removed some of the foam to create a negitive elevation added some WS 2% incline sets to get back to zero. Then I added another 2% kit on the "bridge spur" to get some needed clearance over the mainline. This gives me a total height of about 3 inches. I'm not sure that makes any sense to anyone but me, I'll try to get some pics posted in the next day or two.
    Yes sir I am.

Thank you all so much for the help.
  6. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Sounds like your blocking scheme is sound. Someone else will have to help you with the logging side but i suspect a picture would be helpful.