New Layout Progress

nolatron

Last night I finally colored the rocks. I found the manual's measurements of paint wash to be rather pale, so I ended up jsut dumping in all the paint to 1/2 cups of water.

I think they turned out ok. I'm sure once I add some ground cover around them, it'll help the colors some more too.

IMG_0258.jpg
IMG_0259.jpg
IMG_0263.jpg

nolatron

Wow, it's been quite a while since I updated this thread. Since I'm such a lacky in updating my blog, I pretty much just got rid of it, and will stick to this thread for updates (since you guys are the only people that read it anyway :)

I have some pics on my camera I need to upload tonight, but I've made a lot of progress. I've got my roads and foundations down for the yet-to-be-named town, and got the earth paint down on the landscape.

It's so nice to actually see some "earth" instead of the winter wonderland. I actually did the initally wash of earth, and put some grass down, but the wash was too thin and a lot of white showed through. I didn't like how it looked. So I made another pass with some earth groundcover paint thinned a little and the landscape looks more "earthy" now.

If I don't forget (again), I'll get some pics up tonight.

jsoflo

Kato Maxi coupling problem

Hey Nolatron: Did you ever hear from Kato re: the broken prong?

I just got mine and "snap!" that tiny little center pin between the A and C unit snaps off, anyone know how this will effect operating, how Kato is addressing this, and if anyone else is having this problem? Hate to think $56 is flushed because of miniscule little piece of plastic.

nolatron

I never did hear back. I had to retire that 3-unit because it kept derailing. The trailing unit (with the broken piece) had so much slack in it, it would lean way off center and pull the truck off the tracks.

I haven't checked lately if they have repair parts available or not though. That's probably the hold up I perhaps.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Wow, this is the first time I have seen this thread, :eek:ops: don't know how it managed to get past me. :confused:

Just went through both pages of this fantastic thread and I don't even know what to really saw exept WOW, AWSOME, AND GREAT WORK. You have made the most of that small space and it looks really nice and fun to run.:thumb: :D I enjoyed seeing the progress pics asyou built the layout and was stunned by the last set of pics. Great job and keep it up.

O ya, don't forget to post some more pics.:thumb: :thumb: :D

nolatron

Got most of the grass finished up this weekend, and made a big mess on the floor too. Roomba got a workout. :)

Finally starting to look like a real layout. Next up is putting down some earth groundcover I think it's called, just to blend up all the green a bit, and then some touch ups on some vertical spots.

nolatron

TruckLover said:
Wow, this is the first time I have seen this thread, :eek:ops: don't know how it managed to get past me. :confused:

Just went through both pages of this fantastic thread and I don't even know what to really saw exept WOW, AWSOME, AND GREAT WORK. You have made the most of that small space and it looks really nice and fun to run.:thumb: :D I enjoyed seeing the progress pics asyou built the layout and was stunned by the last set of pics. Great job and keep it up.

O ya, don't forget to post some more pics.:thumb: :thumb: :D

Thanks for the comments! :wave:

nolatron

Hurray! Landscaping is done! Well, mostly. :) This weekend I finally got the bulk of the landscaping done with finishing up the grass laying. Finally was able to pull up all the tape and see my trains run again (At least on the outer loop). Next up I'll be getting into some detail landscaping around the tunnel portals and bridges so I can get the overpass track in place for good.

nolatron

Thanks!

And in case anyone was wondering about the "road to nowhere" here, an overpass will be installed here, albeit a slightly steeper than usual overpass for double-stack clearance. But hey, at least the drivers will have some place to go! :lol:

nolatron

There be roads!

I pretty much just eyeballed everything, using a paper cd sleeve for straight lines sometimes. I used white and yellow paint pens I picked up from Wal-Mart. They worked GREAT for painting the strips.

Overall, I'm really pleased how it looks. Really gives a new dimension of life to the layout.

I'm debating on whether to re-do "mainstreet" or not. I was just painting away, then realized I was probably putting too many short lines instead longer spaced out ones.

A little asphalt paint and a re-do shouldn't take long, maybe tomorrow night.

Still need to find something to put in the empty space at the front right of mainstreet eventually too.

I also finally got all but 3 (I ran out) turnout throws installed.

Biased turkey

Very interesting thread nolatron, and thank you for posting pics and details of your layout.
I don't know how I missed that thread.
Could you please tell us what kind of material you used for the road ? Is it mad e of styrene, or from sculptamold ?

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
WOW, looks AWSOME for such a small space, GREAT job and the roads look SWEET. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

nolatron

Biased turkey said:
Very interesting thread nolatron, and thank you for posting pics and details of your layout.
I don't know how I missed that thread.
Could you please tell us what kind of material you used for the road ? Is it mad e of styrene, or from sculptamold ?

Thanks so much!

The roads were made using Woodland Scenics Smooth It, paving tape, and asphalt/concrete paint. This was all included in the Scenic Ridge Kit.

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
I've seen them use the roads on a TV Show called Working On The Railroad. It looked like it went down very easy and they had no trouble with it.