New Layout Pictures

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Well I was kinda disapointed with the outcome of the portion of road I just finished. I must have layed it down in too thick of layer and put more on too soon because I ust could not get it smooth. There are lots of "potholes." :curse: :curse:

But to fix this I just made the road look like it is under construction. I painted it grey and made it look like the other portion of the road (black) was already re-done and finished. Here are some pictures:

Attachments

• View 1.jpg
    View 1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 197
  • View 2.jpg
    View 2.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 196
  • Dumptruck.jpg
    Dumptruck.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 196
  • New Road.jpg
    New Road.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 199
  • Backhoe.jpg
    Backhoe.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 197

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
In this first picture I had to extend the road out a little because my huge trucks (Big Mack CH 613 and Ford Aeromax w/53' Trailers) could not make the turn realsiticly, They just took out the bushes and tore the grass up when they rolled over them.:eek:ops: :eek:ops:

So I made the road a little wider, but that still wasn't enough so I desided that I would just laeve it instead of attempting to try and fix it. The picture shows the grass with a little mud on the edge with some tire tracks in it (It might be a little hard to see) from the many 53' trailers that make the turn from the road onto the yard road.

Attachments

• Landstar.jpg
    Landstar.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 195
  • Bushes.jpg
    Bushes.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 191
  • Hanjin.jpg
    Hanjin.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 197
  • Werner.jpg
    Werner.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 189

spurline

good looking work,But?

Josh;
The work you have done is fantastic;BUT........................................................

YOU NEED TO DIRTY THINGS UP,GO ON GO BACK TO YOUR OTHER CHILDHOOD,GET DIRTY....

MIKE:wave:

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
TruckLover said:
In this first picture I had to extend the road out a little because my huge trucks (Big Mack CH 613 and Ford Aeromax w/53' Trailers) could not make the turn realsiticly, They just took out the bushes and tore the grass up when they rolled over them.:eek:ops: :eek:ops:

if thats a tight spot, remember to add dirt streaks and ruts where the truck wheels keep tamping the groudn down and killing the grass!

also you mention soem problems with the roads having pits. the best way to solve that would have been to wait for it to dry, then take a a spackling tool ( i can't ever remember its actual name for the life of me) that is long a long metal thing. you hold the flat side at an angle,and drag it towards you, much like a grader (its the same basic idea) You keep doing this until you've scraped off a smooth surface. it will be super smooth (dont' scratch it, it will sound like a chalk board.....*shudder*). From there, using woodland scneics top coat would finish it off nice.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
MilesWestern said:
Also for an old road, draw little patch makrs in the road from previous fixes, it's easy with a sharpie! You can also use a tiny brush and paint also.

Look here to see what I mean! http://www.photos-of-the-year.com/image/gallery/545/736road32-s-med.jpg

actually, i wouldn't use a sharpie. it will destroy the sharpie, and you won't get much out of it until it dies. I lost 2 that way. what i think is happening is that the ink just gets sucked into the stuff, and it dusts up the tip.

I suggest getting a small tipped brush and some black paint for that. Even better, if you make a mistake, you can quickly wash it off.

Herc Driver

What are you talking about??? Those roads look better than what I drive on everyday here in Charlotte! Of course, if'n you wanna dirty 'em up a bit...consider using chalk dust. I've used it and like it the best...you get the control of a paint brush with the subtle coloring you might like. Just scrape off some chalk and using whatever size brush you'd think best, brush it on. You can use various shades of grey and black to simulate the tire wear/deposits and exhaust marks too.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
I foudn the best way to dirty up the roads was to mix the opposing WS top coats. If you watered down the Concrete top coat and puyt it on asphault top coat, you got that grey weathered look. similarly, on a Concrete top coat, diluting the aspault top coat would give that black Grimy look.

if you have a problem you can was it off, or paint over it when it dries.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
spurline said:
Josh;
The work you have done is fantastic;BUT........................................................

YOU NEED TO DIRTY THINGS UP,GO ON GO BACK TO YOUR OTHER CHILDHOOD,GET DIRTY....

MIKE:wave:

Thanks Mike, I have only recently started wheathering stuff and have been working more on the layout lately than wheathering. You can see the stuff I wheathered on this page: http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=21321

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Thanks Chris and Lynn for your compliments.:) :)

Miles, I was just thinking of painting little pach marks and areas where the road has been ripped up for construction and large paches are, and at the grade crossings. Got a litlle brush and some black and grey paint. I am going to do that soon. Thanks.:)

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
green_elite_cab said:
Also you mention soem problems with the roads having pits. the best way to solve that would have been to wait for it to dry, then take a a spackling tool ( i can't ever remember its actual name for the life of me) that is long a long metal thing. you hold the flat side at an angle,and drag it towards you, much like a grader (its the same basic idea) You keep doing this until you've scraped off a smooth surface. it will be super smooth (dont' scratch it, it will sound like a chalk board.....*shudder*). From there, using woodland scneics top coat would finish it off nice.

The tools you are thinking of are called putty knifes and i did wait for it to dry (overnite) and then for a couple hours in the morning. Then I tryed to smooth it out and it got a little beter but not much. Thanks for the help though.:)

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Herc Driver said:
What are you talking about??? Those roads look better than what I drive on everyday here in Charlotte! Of course, if'n you wanna dirty 'em up a bit...consider using chalk dust. I've used it and like it the best...you get the control of a paint brush with the subtle coloring you might like. Just scrape off some chalk and using whatever size brush you'd think best, brush it on. You can use various shades of grey and black to simulate the tire wear/deposits and exhaust marks too.

Chalk on roads!!!! I never even thought off that. Thanks Herc.:thumb: :thumb: When I took these pictures, it was right after I had painted it and the paint was not all the way dry but now the paint hides the "potholes" pretty good and now it looks more like a poorly treated road than like something from 1000 years agosign1 sign1 sign1 sign1

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
green_elite_cab said:
I foudn the best way to dirty up the roads was to mix the opposing WS top coats. If you watered down the Concrete top coat and puyt it on asphault top coat, you got that grey weathered look. similarly, on a Concrete top coat, diluting the aspault top coat would give that black Grimy look.

if you have a problem you can was it off, or paint over it when it dries.

HHMMM Mixing the 2 together. Sounds like a good idea. Thanks:D

viperman

Liking your work so far. Really like the way the hills/mountains turned out. Working on shaping and sculpting one particular hill on the corner of my layout. Have it set so that from track level, you won't be able to see the train coming down the straight, only in the curve. What all did you do when you were adding scenery to them? I may have to give similar treatments to mine, though I plan on them being grass, weeds, trees, with a little rock and dirt, about the opposite of yours

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
viperman said:
Liking your work so far. Really like the way the hills/mountains turned out. Working on shaping and sculpting one particular hill on the corner of my layout. Have it set so that from track level, you won't be able to see the train coming down the straight, only in the curve. What all did you do when you were adding scenery to them? I may have to give similar treatments to mine, though I plan on them being grass, weeds, trees, with a little rock and dirt, about the opposite of yours

Thanks :), All I did was start with the base, add the outside, paint it brown, sprinkle brown dirt and green grass and then add bushes and other stuff. I still have to add trees to both of them. I think that I still am going to add some rock faces to them too.

Your Hill sounds like it will be pretty cool.