New Layout Pictures

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
green_elite_cab said:
who's brands are best? i've got almost $500 and a train show coming up. I need something to spend all my money on! ( i should be investing in more sound, signals, and Catenary for that ALP44)

You could also use Atheran's bobtails (the old ford C cabs with a dry box all on the same chassis with no trailer)

For 28'ers, I go with A-LINE, www.ppw-aline.com, because I like there's the best. Promotex has 27'ers but I don't like them because they have rounded off cornres and are not 28 scale feet long. A-LINE has some trailers that come with decals and also sells decals for the trailers also like SAIA Motor Freight, Yellow Frieght, ROADWAY and ROADWAY Express, G.O.D. (Guarenteed Overnite Delivery), and many more available throgh Micro Scale Decals or Walthers.

For the 32'ers, the only one's I have seen are Walthers and I am not sure if they make them still.

Check out A-LINES products and you might see something else you could use, they have so much great stuff and detail parts for trucks and trailers.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
viperman said:
Nice progress made there Josh! I'm liking this layout

Thanks Steven, It is fun and I am exited to get "back to work" so to speak on the layout. Christmas is just around the corner and lots of stuff is comin':thumb: :D :thumb: :D :D

green_elite_cab said:
how about a lease on some of those vehicles?

sign1

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
boley made truck close to what i was looking for without the trailers. those all in the same chassis truck were more what i am looking for. I am interested in a regular length tanker trailer and truck. Its gonna be tough to find decals though for the business i want (Island oil, or Island something or other. I'll remember when i see it) Its based on Staten island, NY, near where i model.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Ok, so here is the templates I made for Trailer and Cab Decals. I will post one in each length (28', 40', 45', 48', 53')

The way I made these is my simply measuring the trailer length and drawling them in photoshop. So for example, the 48' trailer is a scale 48' feet in photoshop (measure trailer in inches with ruler and use ruler in photoshop to draw a line to X amount.) Do you follow?

For the cab logo, I measured the door space on the cab and also made a template like the trailers, not shown.

For the Front/back trailer logos, do the same thing and shink logo to fit the correct dimentions and position.

Attachments

• CSEDouble Trailers copy.jpg
    CSEDouble Trailers copy.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 297
  • SAIATrailer copy.jpg
    SAIATrailer copy.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 292
  • USFReddawayTrailer copy.jpg
    USFReddawayTrailer copy.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 294
  • SwiftTrailer copy.jpg
    SwiftTrailer copy.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 292
  • WATKINSTrailer copy.jpg
    WATKINSTrailer copy.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 287

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
green_elite_cab said:
boley made truck close to what i was looking for without the trailers. those all in the same chassis truck were more what i am looking for. I am interested in a regular length tanker trailer and truck. Its gonna be tough to find decals though for the business i want (Island oil, or Island something or other. I'll remember when i see it) Its based on Staten island, NY, near where i model.

How could I forget Boley?:eek:ops: hamr wall1. Yes they have the modern Bobtails.

Ok forthe rectangle tanker truck, I don't think that I have ever seen on of those before. Promotex makes some good tanker trailers. Here are some examples of there models:
075763.gif
(Kind-of a rectangle shape)
23_20060111174301_005275_white_main_image.jpg
(available in white or silver)
(Trailer with Lift Axle)
(3 Axle Tanker Trailer)
450350.gif
(Bobtail Tanker Truck)

All these can be found on www.promotex.ca and the above trucks on this page: http://www.promotex.ca/provisioner/catalogue/index.php?SearchFormSubmitted=true&SearchText=tanker

There are also the Boley Tankers too.

Does that help you some?

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
I don't have photoshop, or decal paper. Thanks for the ffort though. My sister has photoshop ( apperently there is some deal where it can't be installed on more than one computer, or shes just spiteful). maybe she can print it out.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
TruckLover said:
How could I forget Boley?:eek:ops: hamr wall1. Yes they have the modern Bobtails.

Ok forthe rectangle tanker truck, I don't think that I have ever seen on of those before. Promotex makes some good tanker trailers. Here are some examples of there models:

I am a noob at motor vehicles. i meant Regular, as in the common lenghth trailer for tankers, lol.

23_20060111174301_005275_white_main_image.jpg
(available in white or silver)

Looks like what i'm looking for, but i can't tell how long it is exactly. whatever it is is close enough.

450350.gif
(Bobtail Tanker Truck)

yeah, that looks pretty good to. So Bobtails are the kinds of trucks that are on a solid chassis?

All these can be found on www.promotex.ca and the above trucks on this page: http://www.promotex.ca/provisioner/catalogue/index.php?SearchFormSubmitted=true&SearchText=tanker

There are also the Boley Tankers too.

Does that help you some?

sure does! Still searching for more stuff to populate my roads. Do trucks sometimes drop off the 53' trailers to be off loaded later by workers? i sometimes see the trailers just sitting there. it would be an interesting scene to have a forklift unloading the trailer, and bringing the cargo to the loading bay.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
green_elite_cab said:
I am a noob at motor vehicles. i meant Regular, as in the common lenghth trailer for tankers, lol.

OOPS, My-badhamr hamr It did say regular, don't mind me, just a blonde moment LOL

green_elite_cab said:
Looks like what i'm looking for, but i can't tell how long it is exactly. whatever it is is close enough.

Those one's are a scale 48' long, normal tanker trailer lengths that you see at gas stations.

green_elite_cab said:
yeah, that looks pretty good to. So Bobtails are the kinds of trucks that are on a solid chassis?

Yep, you got it, kind of a weird name huh? lol

green_elite_cab said:
sure does! Still searching for more stuff to populate my roads. Do trucks sometimes drop off the 53' trailers to be off loaded later by workers? i sometimes see the trailers just sitting there. it would be an interesting scene to have a forklift unloading the trailer, and bringing the cargo to the loading bay.

Ya they do often drop off the trailers to be unloaded/loaded. Usually if it is a big warehouse, a truck will come in with a trailer, back up to a dock and un-hitch the trailer and pick up an empty trailer from another dock at the same building. That would be a cool scene to see a 53' trailer being loaded by some dock workers and a fork lift or too!!

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
green_elite_cab said:
I don't have photoshop, or decal paper. Thanks for the ffort though. My sister has photoshop ( apperently there is some deal where it can't be installed on more than one computer, or shes just spiteful). maybe she can print it out.

HHMMMMM, I didn't know that? Maybe so?

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
TruckLover said:
OOPS, My-badhamr hamr It did say regular, don't mind me, just a blonde moment LOL

happens to the best of us, lol

Those one's are a scale 48' long, normal tanker trailer lengths that you see at gas stations.

good i know what to look for. are there any outside braced tankers? I see these going in and out of my local water treatment plant. just thought they were interesting.

Yep, you got it, kind of a weird name huh? lol

almost as weird as Back-hoes! lol

Ya they do often drop off the trailers to be unloaded/loaded. Usually if it is a big warehouse, a truck will come in with a trailer, back up to a dock and un-hitch the trailer and pick up an empty trailer from another dock at the same building. That would be a cool scene to see a 53' trailer being loaded by some dock workers and a fork lift or too!!

yeah, but i mean, say its is a small back road behind alot of stores or something, but there isn't space to back the truck into the loading dock. would it just be left to the side and have people unload it?

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
green_elite_cab said:
are there any outside braced tankers? I see these going in and out of my local water treatment plant. just thought they were interesting.

I don't know of anyone who makes the outside brased one's.

green_elite_cab said:
yeah, but i mean, say its is a small back road behind alot of stores or something, but there isn't space to back the truck into the loading dock. would it just be left to the side and have people unload it?

In that case, the the driver would most likely not be dropping off the trailer but I have seen that done before in the back of buildings that serve many different businesses so I guess that would be ok to.

oldtanker

KCS said:
Where are the hopper's under that grain trailer? It just look's like a dry van with the top hacked off and a blue tarp over it. Well, I want to use a hand full of these trucks for our club layout but I will won't be leaving them on there. Just put them down there at a show and keep a close eye on them and pack them up and bring'em home after the shows are over.

I would like to build the terminal in SLC but I would have to build a 4'x8' table for it alone but I will put some around on other part's of the layout. I believe the hardest part of it would be the decals. I already have a Dick Simon truck in HO but it's a 48' dry van with a Mack tractor. It need's to be a Freightliner FLD 120 with a 70" condo sleeper and a 53' Utility reefer. I have a 53' Dart trailer that I detailed. I installed air line's to the floor of the trailer and ran them to the front of the tandom slidefacing foward and hanging down like to would see the prototype.

Then I drilled out each hole in the Alcoa rims to give it a full depth look as if the holes are really there. Take a truck with a moving 5th wheel like Boley and apply a little black grease with an Xacto blade then hold the trailer down and push the tractor under itto give a nice little effect on coupler plate where the 5th wheel slides under. For that Dick Simon truck I already have, I need the entire Herpa wheel assmbly for the trailer and a landing fear with square sand shoes. I just equipted the tractor with a Boley 5th wheel after a major cleaning and a little touch up paint. Dick Simon did have 2 48' trailers but they stood out from the rest.

However the one I have is matched to thse prototype trailers but they never left the yard and if they did they wouldn't be going far except to go pick a load of tires across town or part's or something for the shop's. They were equipted with Alcoa aluminum wheel's as to where all of their other 2000+ trailers had regular white two hole steel disk wheels.

On the other hand I'm also thinking about modeling Wiley Sanders Truck Lines with Kenworth T-600's and Wabash 53' dry vans. This company would be nice to model to but the problem is they also have a dry bulk division. The only people whole make a nice dry bulk trailer is Classic Mint who makes those $500 Peterbuilts with the lowboy in brass so pretty much you can guess how much the bulk trailers would cost.

Some grain trailers are flat bottom. The dumping stations in the Twin Cities and Duluth have a dump system that they chain the simi down, then dump the whole works right out the back. Very fast system for dumping.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Some Updates on the Layout

I am really enjoying my days off from skool because I am getting lots of stuff done.

Here are some things I did yesterday.

1. Shows another extention of the road I did yesterday. I painted it grey to make it look like they had already paved the other part of the road. Now they have gone back and are ripping it up again as they do in the real world.

2. Showing more construction, I added another gravel truck pulling in and waiting to be loaded up. The orange gravel truck is a Caltrans truck and you can see close ups ofit in the thread on my weathered trucks found in the weathering forum.

3. Another overall view of the construction site.

4. I added and weathered the shed on the gravel company. This shed coveres the loading bays for which loads the hoppers. I also added a pipe that goes into the shed.

5. Shows the walkway to the conveyor I made.

Attachments

• DSC02806.JPG
    DSC02806.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 234
  • DSC02805.JPG
    DSC02805.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 231
  • DSC02825.JPG
    DSC02825.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 232
  • DSC02815.JPG
    DSC02815.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 232
  • DSC02821.JPG
    DSC02821.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 227

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
I added a small section of track to the Backery, it is all I had left over:cry: and put the track bumpers in and ballasted the small section

Attachments

• DSC02850.JPG
    DSC02850.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 352
  • DSC02851.JPG
    DSC02851.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 343
  • DSC02852.JPG
    DSC02852.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 364
  • DSC02855.JPG
    DSC02855.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 349

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Thanks, I forgot to say that those pipes that come out of the warhouse and curve to the right will continue and go into the ground.

O and don't look at those coal hoppers on the roof :eek:ops:

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
TruckLover said:
Thanks, I forgot to say that those pipes that come out of the warhouse and curve to the right will continue and go into the ground.

O and don't look at those coal hoppers on the roof :eek:ops:

lol if you look in alot of my pictures, you'll see weird things like that. once i posted a picture of my 44 tonner switching american hardware supply, but i moved the tank car loading rack out of the way, but I put it on the large Highway bridge. it took me a minite to spot that in the picture. also, in a recent picture i posted on my thread, you can almost see my NS SD80MAC trying to blend in with the shadows, and my GP7 out on the road in the background, but luckily i take good pictures, and you't have to look to see them!