New Layout Pictures

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
There are 28' trailers, 32' trailers, 40' trailers, 45' trailers, 48' trailers, and 53' trailers.

I use all but the 32' trailers and they are made by various MRF, what trailer lengths are you looking for? Up to 40' or 45'?

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
Looooong post!

TruckLover said:
jawdrop :eek: R u selling them to the company or something? I would love to have 50 of the same company!!!!

No. I'm trying to model Dick Simon Trucking out of Salt Lake City, Utah. Here is a picture of one of like only 10-12 of the Freightliner XL classic's they had.http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/craig_wendt/dick_simon_frtlnr_classic.jpg Everything else was FLD 120's and moving into Century's. Their O/O program consisted of white Freightliner Columbia's. The company lost a lot of money to this first story but the second story put them under.

1. "Salt Lake City, UT — November 1, 2001 — A Salt Lake City jury awarded $16.4 million to an 11 1/2 year old boy, Anthony Rynes, who suffered a traumatic brain injury that he received in a head–on automobile crash. The defendant was Dick Simon Trucking Inc., whose truck went out of control, careened into oncoming traffic, and ran over the 1998 Nissan Sentra in which Anthony was a passenger. Both Anthony’s mother, who was the driver, and his half–brother were killed.
As a result of the accident, Anthony spent 15 days in the intensive care unit of Salt Lake City’s Primary Children’s Medical Center and four months in the pediatric special ward for rehabilitation. He lost both frontal lobes of his brain—areas that control “executive” decision and cognitive abilities. He also lost temporal lobe function, which controls long term memory, and suffered four burst fractures in his thoracic spine, requiring a future back fusion. Because Anthony’s attention span is now inadequate and he has lost the ability to learn, he will need constant supervision by an adult for the rest of his life.
The jury awarded Anthony general damages as well as economic damages for loss of earnings, medical expenses, future facility care and non–medical expenses. The trial took place before Judge Lee A. Dever of the Third District Court in Salt Lake City.
“We are thankful that the jury saw to it that Anthony’s future medical needs and financial security is assured,” said his attorney, Gilbert Purcell of Brayton Purcell in Novato, California. Anthony was also represented by Jeffrey Eisenberg of Eisenberg & Gilchrist. Erik Ward and Chris Shaw of Ridley, Ward & Shaw in Ogden, Utah, represented the heirs of Anthony’s mother. Their case settled for an additional sum as the jury was deliberating.

2. "The State of California has sued Salt Lake City-based Dick Simon Trucking Inc to pay for damage done by a company driver who drove his big rig into the state Capitol in January 2001.
Dick Simon Trucking driver Mike Bowers, who had a history of legal and mental problems, rammed his vehicle into the Capitol's south portico. The truck, carrying a load of canned milk, caught fire, killing Bowers and leaving the building with fire, smoke, and water damage. Repairs are still being made.
According to the lawsuit, the company was aware of Bowers' emotional problems and hired him anyway. It seeks $13.5 million in actual damages and $100 million in punitive damages from Dick Simon Trucking, a subsidiary of Simon Transportation Services Inc.
Simon officials have not made any comments about the suit."

There is also some video footage of the crash in progress. My step dad started with the company about 7 months prior to this accident. The company went bankrupt after barrowing money from Swift Transportation to pay for the law suit. Of course Swift owner Jerry Moise? (if that's how you spell his last name) didn't seem to mind sense he was already buying up everything trying to monopolize the trucking industry until some time later he got his hands slapped for it by who I believe was the government.

I have some pictures of the wrecked truck that I took at the SLC yard after they hauled it back. It was burnt down to nothing. I'll try to find them if I can along with that video of the web.

I just want to model this company because it was a very good company to work for. Dispatchers went out of their way to mak sure you were getting your miles, home time. They had excilent equipment (which is were I took a major liking to FLD 120's as a favorite truck).

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
Oh by the way, LoneStar Models has a really nice 43' Wilson grain trailer but there right at $25 a pop. I'm waiting to find some cheaper.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Wow, what a story, thanks for telling us what happend to the company and now I understand why you are modeling it. Are you going to have a main headquarters/terminal for most of them at a yard of they just going to be throughout the layout?

Promotex just made a grain trailer I think but I'm not sure, leme go check.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
TruckLover said:
There are 28' trailers, 32' trailers, 40' trailers, 45' trailers, 48' trailers, and 53' trailers.

I use all but the 32' trailers and they are made by various MRF, what trailer lengths are you looking for? Up to 40' or 45'?

I think my size requirements can accurately be described by this picture:

layoutspace007editedxz7.jpg

there is a 53" road railer ther for reference. other truck loading areas are of similar sizes. I might be able to use a bigger tanker truck here at the loading rack, but probably not. I will be able to use larger trucks on my highway bridges, but for actual loading scenes this can be a problem.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
:eek:WOW, that is a small space for trucks, I would suggest using the 28'ers and the 32'er's for places like that. Have the back loading dock just have a parked trailer and then the front one have the trailer and cab. That is what I would do.:thumb: :D

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
Where are the hopper's under that grain trailer? It just look's like a dry van with the top hacked off and a blue tarp over it. Well, I want to use a hand full of these trucks for our club layout but I will won't be leaving them on there. Just put them down there at a show and keep a close eye on them and pack them up and bring'em home after the shows are over.

I would like to build the terminal in SLC but I would have to build a 4'x8' table for it alone but I will put some around on other part's of the layout. I believe the hardest part of it would be the decals. I already have a Dick Simon truck in HO but it's a 48' dry van with a Mack tractor. It need's to be a Freightliner FLD 120 with a 70" condo sleeper and a 53' Utility reefer. I have a 53' Dart trailer that I detailed. I installed air line's to the floor of the trailer and ran them to the front of the tandom slidefacing foward and hanging down like to would see the prototype.

Then I drilled out each hole in the Alcoa rims to give it a full depth look as if the holes are really there. Take a truck with a moving 5th wheel like Boley and apply a little black grease with an Xacto blade then hold the trailer down and push the tractor under itto give a nice little effect on coupler plate where the 5th wheel slides under. For that Dick Simon truck I already have, I need the entire Herpa wheel assmbly for the trailer and a landing fear with square sand shoes. I just equipted the tractor with a Boley 5th wheel after a major cleaning and a little touch up paint. Dick Simon did have 2 48' trailers but they stood out from the rest.

However the one I have is matched to thse prototype trailers but they never left the yard and if they did they wouldn't be going far except to go pick a load of tires across town or part's or something for the shop's. They were equipted with Alcoa aluminum wheel's as to where all of their other 2000+ trailers had regular white two hole steel disk wheels.

On the other hand I'm also thinking about modeling Wiley Sanders Truck Lines with Kenworth T-600's and Wabash 53' dry vans. This company would be nice to model to but the problem is they also have a dry bulk division. The only people whole make a nice dry bulk trailer is Classic Mint who makes those $500 Peterbuilts with the lowboy in brass so pretty much you can guess how much the bulk trailers would cost.

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
I also thought about making a couple of trucks for Prime Inc. but then I thought about how poor their equipment is and how bad of a company they arebecause the way they treated us. NAAAAAAA! :)

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
KCS said:
Where are the hopper's under that grain trailer? It just look's like a dry van with the top hacked off and a blue tarp over it.

Ya I noticed that too, and I don't know it they just make the trailer by itself + it is only $5.00 cheaper, well that can add up depending on how many of the grain trailers you want.

KCS said:
I would like to build the terminal in SLC but I would have to build a 4'x8' table for it alone but I will put some around on other part's of the layout.

That would be awsome and I would love to see a giant terminal for Dick Simons Trucking. I had a plan to build a giant warhouse building too, in fact there was a thread on it here. I don't remember how big it was going to be but longer than 10 feet and I think around 50-60 truck loading docks!!

KCS said:
I believe the hardest part of it would be the decals. I already have a Dick Simon truck in HO but it's a 48' dry van with a Mack tractor. It need's to be a Freightliner FLD 120 with a 70" condo sleeper and a 53' Utility reefer. I have a 53' Dart trailer that I detailed. I installed air line's to the floor of the trailer and ran them to the front of the tandom slidefacing foward and hanging down like to would see the prototype. Then I drilled out each hole in the Alcoa rims to give it a full depth look as if the holes are really there.

Decals are not hard, just play with them in photoshop, I made decals for all my trailer lengths and cabs for tons of companies. Take the decal from the 48' trailer and drag it bigger to fit the propper dimentions of the 53' trailer. I made templates of trailers so I could "see" what the decal would look like on them. I also measured the doors on the cabs and made a template for door logos too. If you would like to see one, please let me know and I will post some examples.

KCS said:
Take a truck with a moving 5th wheel like Boley and apply a little black grease with an Xacto blade then hold the trailer down and push the tractor under itto give a nice little effect on coupler plate where the 5th wheel slides under.

Cool, thanks for the tip, sounds fun

KCS said:
On the other hand I'm also thinking about modeling Wiley Sanders Truck Lines with Kenworth T-600's and Wabash 53' dry vans. This company would be nice to model to but the problem is they also have a dry bulk division. The only people whole make a nice dry bulk trailer is Classic Mint who makes those $500 Peterbuilts with the lowboy in brass so pretty much you can guess how much the bulk trailers would cost.

Again, promotex makes some bulk trailers (cement type) but they are not nealy as good as the CM one's.

KCS said:
I also thought about making a couple of trucks for Prime Inc. but then I thought about how poor their equipment is and how bad of a company they arebecause the way they treated us. NAAAAAAA!

I think that I made some decals for PRIME trucking too. I was only planning on doing 2 or 3 53' trailers though.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Here are some pictures of the progress I made yesterday on my layout, enjoy.

The somewhat blurry overhead pics were taken out of a news helicopter reporting the local news on the construction. The first few pics are of the road were a giant sink hole formed and they are repairing the damage. Notice the steel girders under the road holding temperarly in place and up right.

Attachments

• DSC02732.JPG
    DSC02732.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC02734.JPG
    DSC02734.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 240
  • DSC02735.JPG
    DSC02735.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC02736.JPG
    DSC02736.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 186
  • DSC02737.JPG
    DSC02737.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 185
Decals are not hard, just play with them in photoshop, I made decals for all my trailer lengths and cabs for tons of companies. Take the decal from the 48' trailer and drag it bigger to fit the propper dimentions of the 53' trailer. I made templates of trailers so I could "see" what the decal would look like on them. I also measured the doors on the cabs and made a template for door logos too. If you would like to see one, please let me know and I will post some examples.

Yes please..

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006

Attachments

• DSC02738.JPG
    DSC02738.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC02741.JPG
    DSC02741.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 236
  • DSC02742.JPG
    DSC02742.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC02743.JPG
    DSC02743.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC02745.JPG
    DSC02745.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 231

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006

Attachments

• DSC02748.JPG
    DSC02748.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC02749.JPG
    DSC02749.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC02760.JPG
    DSC02760.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC02751.JPG
    DSC02751.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 206
  • DSC02752.JPG
    DSC02752.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 198

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006

Attachments

• DSC02753.JPG
    DSC02753.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 195
  • DSC02754.JPG
    DSC02754.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 190
  • DSC02758.JPG
    DSC02758.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 179
  • DSC02764.JPG
    DSC02764.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 174
  • DSC02766.JPG
    DSC02766.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 176

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
TruckLover said:
:eek:WOW, that is a small space for trucks, I would suggest using the 28'ers and the 32'er's for places like that. Have the back loading dock just have a parked trailer and then the front one have the trailer and cab. That is what I would do.:thumb: :D

who's brands are best? i've got almost $500 and a train show coming up. I need something to spend all my money on! ( i should be investing in more sound, signals, and Catenary for that ALP44)