new layout photos

jcrowell

I would appreciate any comments regarding some photos of my layout. thanks...

Jim

Attachments

• Saturday sept 23 022 layout.JPG
    Saturday sept 23 022 layout.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,349
  • Saturday sept 23 023 layout.JPG
    Saturday sept 23 023 layout.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,337
  • Saturday sept 23 024 layout.JPG
    Saturday sept 23 024 layout.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,330
  • Saturday sept 23 025 layout.JPG
    Saturday sept 23 025 layout.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,336

Herc Driver

Wow...those trees look great! I'm guessing by the look of the land...is this central or southern California? I can't quite make out the highway sign...almost looks like Route 66. The grass looks good - what did you use? The built up areas where the houses are located are a nice touch...very typical. Are there other pictures of more of the layout? I'd say you doing great so far...good job!

FiatFan

Nice work so far, Jim! :thumb: The furrows in the field across the street from the industry in the third picture look good. What building is that? I've been looking for something similar for my layout?

BTW, welcome to the forum. You're off to an outsandig start!

Tom

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Jim, First welcome to the Gauge and your first post is so good. Those pictures are great. Your roads look amazing!!:thumb: :thumb: Great start and let's see some more pictures as you go along making those grade crossings!!:D Awsome start:thumb:

Jim Krause

Looks great to me and welcome. Obviously you're not finished with the ballasting etc. but most of us are in that phase or have been there. Nice work so far.

LoudMusic

That house in the first picture, my wife wants that in 1:1 scale sitting on 10 acres with dogs in the backyard :)

Looking good! I'm jeleous of what appears to be a train big room.

ejen34

Welcome to The Gauge and those are some excellent shots, that is a layout you can be proud of :thumb:

MilesWestern

FANTASTIC!!!!! :thumb: this is EXACTLY WHAT I WANT TO SEE!! I Model the exact same era and location as well, and I must say I'm very impressed! Did you scratchbuild the orange packing house? That's EXCELLENT! :thumb:

I can't wait to see more! :)

jcrowell

thanks, everyone!

Thanks so much for the kind comments and welcome...

I lived in Hawthorne, CA for fifty years. Hawthorne was a great place to grow up in during the 50s and 60s... my Dad was the Beach Boys' mailman! Really!

The weather in the midwest sure isn't Southern California! :curse:

On the good side, we were able to get a brand new home built with a 1200 square foot basement, of which, so far, I have set aside 800 square feet for the layout, and 100 square feet for a workshop, and another 200 square feet for stacking model kits.

Along one wall, which is 40 feet long, I am reliving southern California as I wish to remember, with a hodge-podge of scenes including an orange grove, Route 66 and country store, a couple of packing houses, and some agricultural scenes. I have used the Library of Congress' American Memory website for information, as well as the 'net, and information from several yahoo groups, including citrusmodeling. This part of the layout is 30 inches wide.

The green packing house is a scratchbuilt building based on a Del Monte packing house in Corona... the model is ten inches wide and 24 inches long, about half the width of the prototype, but much larger than the model that Walther's is selling based on the same building for $40. My model cost me about $10 and about a week. I put in over 5000 nail holes with a push pin, and cut my own stencil to copy the painted business name from the photographs I have.

There is a middle peninsula which is 30 feet long and six feet wide, which on one side represents the RGS territory in Colorado, with Vance Junction and the Ophir Loop. On the other side there will be an Appalachian coal town lost somewhen in the 1930s.

On the other side, I eventually plan on "doing" San Francisco wharfs.

Although I've been here a little over three years, I've had to drywall and insulate the basement, hang a ceiling, install the electric, etc.

Additionally, I've had spinal surgery and open heart surgery due to a genetic trait, so I've been a little slow on what I'd like to do.

I hope to post some more photos as I work along.

Once again, thank you.

Jim

joesho

wow looks great! i love the wheathering! what perfect roads maybe a tutorial on them? keep up the great work. more pics ! :D

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Very neat looking work! You obviously take a lot of care and take time to do an excellent job.
Ralph

doctorwayne

Hi Jim, and welcome to the Gauge. :wave: You're off to a flying start here, with some very nice pictures and some fine modelling. I look forward to seeing more as your layout progresses.

Wayne

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
First Off: Welcome To The-Gauge.:wave:

Second: The layout looks good from what I can see so far. Keep it up and post more photo's.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Russ Bellinis

Looks good Jim. You did it well enough that I rmember places like that from my youth. Unfortunately you have to find some really back roads a long way off the beaten track to find scenes like that in Southern California anymore.

jcrowell

Building the Del Monte Packing House, Corona CA

These are a series of photos showing the building process of my version of the Del Monte packing house, formerly of Corona California. This is HO scale.

Attachments

• del monte image 000.JPG
    del monte image 000.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 664