New Layout, need advice

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by MSBoxer, Dec 2, 2006.

1. MSBoxer

MSBoxer New Member

After 20 years I have finally decided that I deserve a model train layout. Due to space limitations and my desire to start a layout that I can get running in a reasonable amount of time I have decided to create layout on a hollow core door and am in need of advice.

I pulled out cadrail, updated it to 8.0 and created this layout
    Minimun radius is 13.75
    Maximum grade is 1.7
    I wanted to be able to run two trains at a time on different loops for display purposes while working a switcher.

Plan on using code 55, like the peco, but will probably end up going with atlas for cost and availability.

Now, what am I missing? What should I add? Give me any and all advice you can!

2. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

With all that goin' on, please tell me it's DCC :D :D

And Welcome to The-Gauge!!:wave:
  3. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Looks to me like you have your handsfull...!!! Missing..?? Just the door, tracks, rolling stock, etc. Go for it!!!
    Good luck...!!!
  4. MSBoxer

MSBoxer New Member

Actually, I picked up a cheap Bachmann set just so I could see some trains rolling, sure it's only a loop a little bigger then a frying pan, but I do have some rolling stock.

Then just the other day I stopped by Menards to get some ice melt in preperatoin for our first winter storm, and wouldn't you know it, they had a 36" wide door in the scratch and dent section. Seems someone drilled the knob hole on the wrong side... their mistake got me the door for $1. The foam should have no trouble covering up their mistake.

Yes it will be DCC, I still have my little MRC command station from my aborted HO layout 10 years ago.

What is my best option for turnout control?

Thanks for the advice!
  5. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

Hello and welcome.
    This ought to keep you busy for a few months.
    Remember to take it slowly, read a lot, be patient with yourself, ask a ton of question, take your time, click the links on the guys signatures, go slow but sure, um you notice a trend?:D LOL

If you take your time and go steady you will have a great layout you can enjoy for years. :)

The main difference between the newbies and so called pro's is patience for the most part. So enjoy:) And once again welcome:)
  6. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

I'm no operations guru, MS, but it looks like you've got plenty of capabilities for moving
    freight around on that layout. One thing you might like to have is a way to turn a locomotive. (Wye, turntable, or reverse loop.) Are you doing steam or more modern?

Turnout control can be done manually (at the switch or a remote linkage), electrically from a central panel, or from your throttle using stationary decoders. There are folks on here with all of those options. "Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choice" :D You'll get a better feel for what you would like as things progress.
  7. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Welcome. It's always nice to see someone getting into the hobby again. I went through the same situation. Life seems to get in the way of our hobbies when we are younger.
  8. MSBoxer

MSBoxer New Member

I am planning on modeling the late 40s early fifties. In other words I can't make up my mind so I will be doing late steam and early diesels. Setting will be western Illinois eatern Iowa/Missouri featuring the CB&Q, Rock Island Line possibly CNW.

It will not be 100% prototypical, I may run modern equipment from time to time just for fun, but the layout scenery will be approx 1951.

I am not sure I have room for a wye or a turntable. I thought about a hidden reverse loop, but due to the construstruction method it would be inaccessible when the layout is complete. This scare me!

Thanks for all the input, keep it up!

9. MSBoxer

MSBoxer New Member

OK, I did some tweaking

Added spurs at the end of the layout to allow expansion. I had planned on this to allow me to connect future door sized layouts, kinda like n-track modules on steriods!

Added a spur on the ascending blue line.

Thoughts? Comments?
  10. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

hmm, need more BLM acquisitions...:D :D

Attached Files:

11. MSBoxer

MSBoxer New Member

Ooooh, I like , but can I complete this before I start on the expansion?:D
  12. umtrr-author

umtrr-author Member

I'd say yes (nice add, BTW, cidchase), but you'd want to be able to get that turnout in to form the wye. That means either putting in the curve to exactly align with where the turnout will go later, or just putting in the turnout now. That latter option would therefore "suggest" that there is more "beyond the door", at least for now.
  13. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Welcome to The Gauge:wave:

Nice curves for six axle horsepower:thumb:
  14. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

Welcome. :wave:

Very nice looking layout you have there. Just the right mix of track and scenery to make it look very good. :thumb:
  15. DavidB-AU

DavidB-AU Member

Speaking of NTRAK, it might be worthwhile putting the wye or (one of the other tracks to the edge) in a suitable position such that an extension beyond the door could be a oNeTRAK module. Then you could take your module along to one of the conventions.

16. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

Only thing I would recommend is that you have some idea of the type of buildings you want at, or near the tracks and plan for them NOW so that you have room later. Then add more space to allow for foilage, alleys etc. A common mistake [I still do it too] is not to leave enough room for buildings and scenery.
    Other then that it is looking good:)