New layout in the works.

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Very good use of the space!
I like around the room layouts, they give you lots of run, and a realistic, point to point layout.
They don't take up much space either!

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
Very good use of the space!
I like around the room layouts, they give you lots of run, and a realistic, point to point layout.
They don't take up much space either!

Thanks! i really like doing the shelf layout. Not only was it a selling point to my wife ("See! I still have a whole office too!"), I like the fact that it sorta restricts me in the amount of work to do.

Like I don't have to worry about filling a lot of dead space with scenery or structures. Sure, sometimes I wish I had more space for a larger industry scene, but that also keep within limits that I can actually accomplish in this lifetime :)

It was also really easy to construct and I and view the whole thing from anywhere in the room.

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
This weekend I worked on laying down the roadbed and track on the lower level for the entryway into the helix. I'll get pics up later in the week, but here's a video showing of an intermodal on the helix.

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
Today I got the first tortoise turnout switch machine installed on the lower level mainline. After putting down some track first using silicon latex, I marked out where the tortoise needed to go, cut out the foam, and then cut a whole in the benchwork for the tortoise.

Then using Liquid Nails projects, I glues in a piece of perf board from Radio Shack, with a channel cut out for the tortoise wire.

Once that setup, I got the track in place, attached a piece of industrial strength velco to the tortoise, exposed the sticky side and then guided it up the hole all lined.

in 24 hours the the sticky velco glue will setup strong and it's not going anywhere. At least that's the plan. The velco will enable me to remove the switch machine in case any failures occur.

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
After searching around for some concrete pillars in n-scale one day, I stumbled across this product from Monroe Models. It looked just like what was wanting, so I ordered a box from Model Train Stuff Featuring Exclusive Model Trains and accessories at Discount Prices, along with the extension set to see how they looked.

UPS dropped them off today and I opened them right up and they're perfect! All they need is a painting of concrete color and they'll look even better I bet.

So if you're ever looking for some modern concrete pillars and/or abutments, check these out.

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
Digitrax BDL168 Installed

This weekend I got my new Digitrax BDL168 installed. The BDL168 is a occupancy detector unit for monitoring 16 blocks. This unit will work in conjunction with the Signal Logic programming for operating signals in the future.

All of my layout electronics will reside in one of my bookshelfs under the layout.

I first started by cutting 22 pieces of 20AWG gauge wire. I had some spools of Atlas' wire so that's what I used.

I then soldered all the "feeder" wires to the BDL168's connector board. There's 16-block wires, 4 DCC zones, 2 wires for a 12v supply, and 1 for the DCC Ground.

All of these feeders were then connected to some terminal strips. Larger 14AWG wire will run from these terminal strips to various points on the layout for block occupancy monitoring. I used a handheld label printer to print the labels.

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
That's weird. My server showed my gallery.sodh.net subdomain as not actually setup, yet it still worked. <shrug>

I reset the entry so hopefully that'll fix the images.

EDIT: Reset didn't go through. lemme contact my hoster to fix the the issue on the backend.

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
The siding track at the GERN facility is now in place from west turnout on. The East turnout will be installed soon.

I really like using the Latex Caulk for gluing down track. Once you lay down a thin layer of the stuff, it's got good holding strength. It'll hold down flex track on curves long enough for you to get everything just right before applying some weight for it's final set-up. A few hours is good.

I also tested out installing a remote tortoise mount. It works pretty well. Trying to line up where to drill under 2" of foam isn't easy. As you can see, my drill head pushed down some foam, and even started to melt it. I'll have to come up with some other way for the other turnouts.

But anyway, the contraption works using telfon tubing and piano to connect the tortoise to a remote actuator, when turns a thicker guide wire through a piece of brass tube. Once I got it installed it worked great. I was super happy and will plan on doing all my other lower level turnouts this way. No more drilling giant holes in the benchwork.

rogerw

Jun 16, 2006
manhattan ks
Shaun its coming along great. I like your neatness its easy to follow and will make trouble shooting much easier. I am getting ready to start laying track for my first main line and will have two switches on it. I am also using tortoises on 1 1/2 inch foam. What I want to play around with and see if it works is mounting the switch to a piece of 1/2" plywood. The tortoise will be mounted on the bottom of the plywood. I will cut out the foam on the top 1/2" deep and the size of the piece of plywood with a opening for the tort to fit through the rest of the foam. Set the plywood ,switch and tort into the opening as one piece that will be flush on the layout. Not sure how it will work but will let all know when im done. Thanks

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
Just a little update. Since the last the posting, I received my first DAC10 turnout controller from CML Electronics. It's a pretty sweet DCC controller. I got one tortoise hooked up so. I'll post more pictures showing how I used RJ11 (telephone) cable and punchdown blocks to hook them up once I get everything re-wired (see below) and info on the the system.

My current project involves overhauling my "wiring cabinet" bookshelf, to an actual wiring cabinet. In about 10 days I'll get a 38" wiring cabinet from Channel Vision.

21n0b0-unl_aa240_.jpg

It's a pretty cool system, using a variety of modular components for A/V and Telecom wiring. Since most of the standard modules I won't use, I'm planning on simply securing a piece of plywood to the back for mounting all my needed hardware to.​

I'll get some pics and info up once I get it and start working on it. Progress will probably slow down for the next couple weeks (and has already prior) as my new baby girl arrived on February 11. :)