New layout, concept to completion

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Oroka, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Oroka

Oroka Member

The day starts with a white surprise. Yesterday, you would have seen green grass.

well... here is what I originally had

Not level at all.

On the original, I cut the grade out in one long piece. This time I cut smaller chunks out. Then I sanded the smaller chunks so they were flat and matched the chunk before it.

Then i cut it into smaller peices for a better curve.

Lunchtime now ;)
  2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

You can make a hot wire cutter using nichrome wire and an old power pack. Put a 1x3 on each side of the foam and secure by driving some screws all the way through both pieces of wood. Cut with the wire (you will have to make up some sort of frame (I used wood, and some telephone wire to power it). The faster you go on your power pack, the hotter the wire and the easier the cut.

To make your pieces bend, cut thin, wedge-shaped pieces out of one side, that way you maintain the slope, but keep it all in one piece.

3. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Nice work, guys!
    Keep those progress shots coming!
    :thumb: :cool: :cool: :thumb:
  4. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

consider cutting the even grade sideways on a piece of foam, then cutting slots for the curves. (the normal surface of the foam becomes the sides of the grade.) Don't forget to ease the bottom of the grade -- trains don't like sharp changes. If you don't have the hot wire cutter, a long knife does a reasonable job.

I see you're in Port Elgin. We bought a trailer cottage in Sauble Beach last summer.
  5. Gram Central RR

Gram Central RR New Member

Oroka! (Hello all, first time poster, loooong time lurker! I hope my pictures show up OK).

Allright!! A buddy who models newfie tracks!

I'm from NB originally, and never been to NF. I stumbled upon the NF railway picture essays posted on the ROCA website a couple of years ago (someone posted the link in your NF210 thread), and I got hooked somethin' fierce. How can I not model this one of a kind marvel...BTW, I have referred to that website a billion times for inspiration, and I can't thank the contributors and webhost enough for posting that wealth of info.

So I plotted and schemed my freelanced Gram Central RR, standard gauged N scale, but loosely based on the NF railway. I kept in standard gauge, as I wasn't ready to start chopping my precious locos yet, or dealing with z-scale track. My layout is 2.5' by 4.5'

Here's my progress so far (Pictures below).

This is my only scratchbuilt project so far - a replica of the Holyrood station, the one shown across the "fish plant" in your inspiration pictures.

As for the NF210 locos, there was an article in one of the first issues of "Canadian Railway Modeler" magazine (Issue 1, Volume 1 or thereabouts), showing a MR of the NFR that somebody made. The next issue after that (I think), the author showed how he mass-produced about a dozen or so NF210 in HO, using molds and resin if I'm not mistaking. I saw these magazines at the Toronto train show last year, but couldn't buy them because they were $$$$[​IMG] . It was fantastic work I tell ya.

If I gave a shot at making NF210, I would grab a GP7, cut up the shell like you showed in your sketch (good job!), and replace the trucks with Atlas Alco RSD trucks (bought separately from Atlas part store). The back end would be the toughest part to "exact", and would likely have to be scratchbuilt, IMO.

Anyways, keep up the good work. We need more maritimer prototype modeling around.[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. Oroka

Oroka Member

60103: Sauble is a very nice area, I love the big waves at the beach. Nothing at all to do there in the off season... but it is cottage country. Funny thing is that I used to live in Brampton 3 years ago, and moved to Port Elgin cause I have some family up here. I visited in May, ended up moving here in Aug.

Gram Central RR: Awesome work there! I have actually been considering on going with the Green CNR colors they used on the eairly NF210s, as my dad wants to do a Makido 1000 class 2-8-0 like the one on display in Corner Brook.

I bought my SD7 with the intention of parting it up to build a NF210, and getting a GP7 for the base shell, but I dont think I can bring myself to cut it up. I think I will get a GP7 and a spare shell, and modify the shell. Then if that goes well, I will look into replacing the 4 wheel trucks with the 6 wheel trucks from a SD7. The backend shouldn't be too hard. I have been doing airplan models for a few years, and have had to do up some parts from scratch myself... and on such a small scale as N, it wont need any super find detail. If the first NF210 goes well, I will build a dummy version too.

I have more images of the NF railway if anyone is interested. I can just host them in a directory on my server.

almost forgot...

that is almost what I would like to do for my gradiant. I will also run a line behind the elevated line, under the moutain, but the back end under the moutain will be open so you can see and access the tunnel line below.
  7. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Nice work so far! I love your inspirational pictures too! It looks like a great place to railfan. The rails along the ocean are fantastic! Kepp the progress pictures coming of your layout, it's always cool to see a new layout come to life!
  8. Oroka

Oroka Member

9. CSX

CSX Member

Looking great, keep up the great work!
  10. Oroka

Oroka Member

Well... my first bit of plaster has gone on.

I think along the virtical parts, there will be small cliffs, with alot of rock face. They dont call Newfoundland 'The Rock' for nothing ;)
  11. Oroka

Oroka Member

Got some scenery supplies.

3 colors of that green colored foam, some brown plastic trees, 2 turnouts, 3 colors of brown paint for drybrushing rocks, and a bottle of advil to deal with a tooth ach untill the antibiotics kick in and kill the infection.
  12. Oroka

Oroka Member

Got some sanding done and made the grade perfectly flat. one more coat of mud to fill the indents, and one more sanding and I will declair it flat.

Next step will to continue the hill and construct the tunnel that will run most of the length of the back side under the hill. The tunnel will be open in the back... so no jams ;)
  13. Oroka

Oroka Member

Well, here is my first attempt at a rock face, and I think it came out quite swimmingly.

One blob of plaster on foam, let dry, scratch marks in it with just about anything hard, screwdriver, car keys, dental pick... etc. Mix 1/2 cup of alcohol with 1 tbl spn of indian ink, spray on carved plaster. Serves 12.

I really want to thank aartwmich for his great rock and ground cover tutorial!

I also scored 2 locomotives from my brother's old trainset. Kinda cheap looking, and they dont run smooth, but that can be rectified. I am going to chop these suckers up to become my NF210s. I know there are some diffrences, but the basic shapes are there, and how many of you actually could nit pick details of a NF210? I bet only a handfull of you have seen one in real life and would be working off memory from 15 years ago (unless you have pics ;) )

14. Oroka

Oroka Member

Well, havent had much time lately to work on my layout, but I got a hour or so in last week, and a hour in today.

I did most of the detailing of the grade hill last week.

The tunnel on the back end will be open from the back for access.

I am toying with the idea of detailing the backside of the moutain and inside the tunnel at some later date.

I think I will finish putting down the foam base for the entire moutain/hillside before doing any more plaster.
  15. Oroka

Oroka Member

Well, long time, no update :D

Been really busy the last few months, and I picked up another project, a model of the HMAS Bounty, which is a gift for my dad, once it is completed.

So, I have been doing some work here and there, got some track laid and working, building up some hills and stuff... still ALOT of stuff to do. I have a big gap in where my track is supposed to go cause I want to put in a bridge, but I havent built a bridge yet :rolleyes: , and I am not sure how I want to go about it.

I spent some time last night fixing all the links to the images in my previous posts. So here is one I took bout 30 mins ago.

I figured out the best way to cut foam and get a good right angle is to use a jig saw :D It has a flat guide, guarenteeing a good cut. Another trick I learned is for sanding foam flat, use a drywall mesh and holder thing. It is flat, has a handel, and the holes in the mesh keep the foam from plugging it all up.

The big groove in the middle is going to be a river, starting with a waterfall and then crossing under the tracks with some couldrons. I want to start putting down some ground cover, but I am still not sure how to go about that either.

Much experimentation and mistakes to come!
  16. Oroka

Oroka Member

Wow, 3 days after my last post and no replys! Everyone die in here?

Did some more work on the layout, I will post some pics of it tonight or tomorrow.
  17. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

Must be a busy weekend, sign1

Looking good, you are using the same procedure I used. Blue foam, cork and push pins, :D
    The rock in picture 1612 looks great. :thumb: :thumb:
    Say, are you planning on going to the Midland Show in May?
    Our club will be there, I will be there on the Sunday for sure, 50% chance on Sat.
  18. Oroka

Oroka Member

LOL, this weekend was a opportunity for me the get some work done :D

I havent been to a model RR show in... pfffft, 13-14 years. Dunno if I could make it to anything right now, work is kinda hecktic. I will look into it thought.

Took these pics at night... so the lighting is a bit off.

Got some hills and detailing done

Future home of a waterfall, bridge, and river. I didnt really plan ahead well, so I had to cut the river out of the base foam. I will cover the hole on the bottom later. Gonna add some more foam and stuff to the hills up top later.

This was me getting impatient with looking at blue foam. I was unsure what to use as ground cover, but last week I found some dried moss stuff at the dollar store that looked perfect. Only problem is that it was big, not a fine ground stuff. I thought a while about how to grind it up... then a buddy of mine suggested something, well, odd. When people buy weed, it isnt always in a fine, smokeable state, so they have little grinders to minse it all up... perfect ground cover consistancy :D

Beidge paint, dirt, weed grind mixed with green foam, lots of white glue, 50/50 with water. I still have some highlighting to do on the rocks.