New jet-powered locomotive

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by digital_signal_, Oct 17, 2002.

1. tomfassett

tomfassett Member

Michael, I saw another reference to this in a magazine and now can't remember where. Thanks for the link, it was more informative.

BTW: I love your signature motto... I have got to put that one up on the "cheap shot" tech board at work (he, he)...:D
  2. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Welcome to the Gauge digital signal! The problem with jet powered locos is keeping them going in the right direction! :D

Attached Files:

3. babydot94513

babydot94513 Member in training

Brings a whole new meaning to AC traction motors!

I too read "something" about this new concept. Personally, I do not think it will work but who knows...?
  4. Vic

Vic Active Member

The Pennsylvania Railroad had very sucessful locomotives powered by steam driven turbines directly coupled to the drivers. However high maintance was their demise.

The Norfolk and Western/C&O experimented with a turbine driven locomotive too. It had the affectionate name of "Jawn Henry". It too used steam turbines to power generators and traction motors much the same as a diesel locomotive. However it was plagued by mechanical and design problems and was never sucessful.

BTW...I think Tyson's rocket powered version has potential:eek: :D
  5. McFortner

McFortner Member

Yes, but it would be hell on the passenger cars behind it... :rolleyes: ;)

But I still would buy a ticket on that passenger train.... :D

6. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

It looks like an EMD, but has to be an alco, only an alco could make that much smoke. That must be the latest loco on the "mighty fine line",, the Rock-et Island:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  7. CarlFidy

CarlFidy Member

Nice work Tyson....:eek: :D :cool:

I'll be second in line behind Mike, just hope that first car has some "shuttle" type heat sheilds...What's that I smell burn'n in here???

Let's see...running the other direction, if you could get enough traction to go the other way - It's the worlds best snow remover...
  8. DanRaitz

DanRaitz Member

Lets not forget New York Centrals jet powered RDC.
    Top speed 186MPH

Dan Raitz
    Escondido, CA
  9. papa smurf37

papa smurf37 New Member

I was rather surprised that there was no mention in this thread of the 22 year history of the UP gas turbine locos. From 1948 until 1970, 55 of these beasts were built, using GE J35 gas turbine engines to start. Much experimental work was done and one of the most famous models was their Veranda locos. I just typed:
    ' UP GE gas turbine locos' in my search block and got a very interesting history refresher. TTFN.......Tom in NH :)
  10. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Steam Turbines

UP turbines seem to have been the most successful, probably because they bought a production run of them. Most of the steam turbines were single units and every time something broke they had to sit until the machine shop made a new part. Thought the Pennsy's was a one-off as well -- anybody have statistics?
    And which one had the small reverse turbine so that they couldn't back the train into the station but could pull it forward no trouble?
  11. Most of the heated on-topic discussion on about this article and turbin motors in general, was the state of roadbed in the US and the prohibitive nature of highspeed passenger sharing rails with freight.

The consensus was that in order for any high speed solution to be economically viable, the US has to follow the TGV example and dedicate track.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
  12. papa smurf37

papa smurf37 New Member

HI MIKE:
    Your statement is right on! Having twice ridden the new Downeaster passenger service that Amtrak started last spring between Boston, MA and Portland, ME, it became painfully clear that some stretches of the main, particularly in vicinity of Portland freight yard,were in BAD shape. Dedicated pass. only trackage would be safer and allow quicker transit.
    I also sincerely wish that there was a national program to steadily replace grade crossings with overpasses, which would cut down on a lot of annual injuries/deaths nationwide. TTFN.....Tom :)
  13. Topo

Topo Member

If you like the high-speed passenger trains, you can give a look to the new Talgo-350, AKA "Duck":

They are intended to a commercial speed of 350 Km/h (around 220 mph). Maybe we can see it in the California planned HSR corridors.
  14. tomfassett

tomfassett Member

Aha! What timing... My sister gave me a little toy Talgo at dinner last night (it is cheap plastic but--what are you going to say to a sister...;) ). The box had some "facts" on it and one of the facts was that the top speed was 390 mph (that's miles per hour). I found this hard to believe and assumed that they meant kph, not mph. 390 kph is impressive enough, but 390 mph?!?? I wouldn't want to be anywhere near the blasted thing at this speed...:eek:
    So, am I right in assuming it should have said kph, or are these puppies really capable of a maximum speed of 390 mph?

Tom F
  15. Topo

Topo Member

I sincerely doubt that ANY Talgo reaches 390mph!!! (I mean, not in the next +30 years... :rolleyes: )

According to some info, the new T-350 reached around 369 Km/h in some trials, tinkering with experimental devices not intended to be installed in the commercial version. If ever they reached 390 mph, maybe some of that devices were an statoreactor propeller!! :p :rolleyes: :p

That reminds to me of an telltale when the germans were dealing with the issues of building the special lines for the -then- new ICE. Some beekeeper, having the beehives near a tunnel entrance, complained that, due to the enormous high speed of train, its bees would be "sucked" into the tunnel -and lost- when the ICE got into it. The german law & technic group charged to study these complaints, stated that, yes, it would be true that some bees would be sucked into the tunnel, but, when another train passed in the opposite direction -out of the tunnel-, the bees would be expulsed, so the ICE wouldn't produce any loss and so, no need to compensate the beekeeper.