New inspiration from the train show.

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
I went to the train show yesterday and saw the various club layouts on display. The simplicity of modulars connected in a giant loop made me rethink my whole idea for a new layout. My major problem is that as a prototype modeler, it is impractical (and nearly impossible) to have a continious loop if I follow the actual route of my prototype. My strengths have been in scratchbuilding and detailing, not trackplanning. So, I'm going to follow the simplicity of those modulars, and make a 12' x 12' around the walls layout with a simple 2 track main, yet all the sidings and industries will follow the prototypes track arrangement.

Now once the weather gets out of the single digits, I'll go back to the garage.

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
The secret to making a continuous loop into a straight mainline, as I am discovering, is to hide one portion of the loop. My layout plan is an around-the-room loop built with very similar approach (as a series of sectional pieces which connect together) and is also based on a prototype. How I have worked it out (at least on paper) is that my main yard is actually two yards, depending on which end the train is on. In essence, the layout will physically be a loop, but "logically" (in the schematic sense) it's a line that doesn't loop back on itself.

One advantage of an around-the-room layout is that you can't see the whole thing at once, which helps create the illusion of a much larger space, unlike a 4x8 where you can see trains going round and round in a circle.