New Image Restrictions

Dave Hagan

Jul 23, 2001
Hi everyone, unfortunately due to a massive jump in our bandwidth usage over the last six weeks there are some new image restrictions.

We have prepared some tutorials to help members resize and compress images to the new guidelines. These can be accessed by clicking on the "Adding Images" link at the top of the home page

The new image restrictions are 640 x 480 with a 70k file size limit.

Regards
Dave Hagan

aartwmich

Nov 30, 2002
SW Michigan
www.angelfire.com
Dave.....

VERY, VERY COOL TUTORIAL!!

Great job! Hard thing to explain with all the diff softwares out there, and if someone doesn't know it's better to have them SEE it that try to verbalize it.

Thanks!

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Thanks Dave, this not only helps you with your bandwidth, but it helps us folks with poor dialup connections. Sometimes downloading a thread can take quite a long time dependent on the # of pictures and their size. This should not have a major impact on picture quality.

Most of the pictures I've posted are around 600 x 400 and I lower the picture quality to around 80% so they are in the 30 to 50 K range. I think they view just fine and they're quick to upload.:)

Don

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Dave, I noted the new restriction on picture size this morning, when I tried to upload a few pics. This is alright with me - I think we all prefer to post smaller pictures instead of posting no pictures at all! :D

I guess there are still lots of Gaugers out there with a dial-up connection, and they surely will praise you for that decision. One picture is worth one thousand words - but the fun stops if downloading one pic takes much more time than downloading several thousand words... :eek:

Perhaps using more bandwidth (and hence living with that small restriction of picture size) is the price we have to pay to be a member of such a big bunch of great model railroading friends. I think we have developped a real culture among us, more than any form of netiquette you find on any other forum. Let's keep it that way!

Now if there is a pic you REALLY wanted to have in a bigger format, there is still the possibility to contact the posting member directly and ask her/him, if s/he could e-mail the full size pic to you.

Just had an idea: In the future, when I'll post a picture which is downsized (say from 1024x728 to 640x480) I'll add a short note with the pic, e.g. "Orig 1030x720pix". This way every viewer sees that there really exists a bigger original, so s/he can get it 1:1 from me, if s/he asks for it.

Ron

BTW: Your image-adding tutorial is great! (But I'll stick with Irfan Viewer, hehehe! :D :D :D)

CSX6638

Jul 24, 2002
FLORIDA
Visit site
That program works fine, I usually take my photo's at about 85K because I also use railimages and their max is 100K.
I have reduced some of my photos down to 40K and have not noticed any great change in the picture quality.
I also down loaded the help file, there's a lot more to that program than just photo reduction.
I also use dial up with a speed band program and the reduction makes viewing photos even a lot faster.