New Homes & Basements

Edavillenut

eightyeightfan1 i am in the same boat as you, my parents stuck me in the attic also. i hate it because when i am out of school in the summer when i can work on the layout all day i cant because it is two hot. then when i am in school in the winter i dont have time to work on the layout because i have too much homework.:mad:

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
I stuck myself in the attic(like an idiot)The spare room became the better halfs craft room. My basement was to small and filled with stuff like hot water heater, furnace, pipes..ect..ect. The only good thing was when I bought the house, there was already a workbench and shelves in the basement.....Sooooo....
Edaville nut....I see you live in Mass. Ever go to the big train show at the Big E fairgrounds they have in Feburary?

Edavillenut

no i did know there was one. where is it what town. i go to the whitman train show and the Greenburg show at Shriners Aditorium Wilmington, Massachusetts

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
West Springfield Mass. At the BigE fairgrounds. They have it every year. Its a two day event, and takes up three of the fairgounds buildings. I'm sure if you go to your favorite hobby store they have a flyer hanging up now. I don't remember the dates for 2003, but its usually the last week of Jan, first week of Feb.

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Re: Basement Good

Originally posted by planeshavings42
Michael, You'll love the basement, plenty of room, no restrictions to growth, Cool in the summers, room for a workshop as well, you'll just need to put in a dumb waiter for those quick snacks and cold beer requirements...basements are the best.....:D :D

Make sure that the Dumb Waiter is big enough to hold you.... That way, you don't have to worry about those stairs either! :D

NYCentral

I like my present basement room. layout area is 17.5' X 26' It has a TV, a computer and soon a refrig for refreshments. Couch and recliner to rest on. Cool in the summer, warm in the winter. What could be better?:D

K.V.Div

My wife is quite happy that my layout is confined to my basement.
My last basement layout room was in a 12ft x 19ft basement room, however, with the Ntrak and oNetrak modules in addition to a layout, it was getting a tad crowded in there.:eek:
However, we recently found ourselves in a position where we could move to an area further away from the city, where it is a little more quiet and we can have room to stretch our legs a bit more (and all for an extra 15 minutes commute to work).
This gave us the opportunity do build our new house to our own specs:D.
I was content to design my dream layout and add a house on top as an afterthought, however, The other half had a different game plan and while I will not have unlimited space for the new layout, I do have 34ft X 36ft to build my Future Kettle Valley Line in N Sclae:cool: :) :D ;).
Move in day is in about 3 weeks :D :) :cool: :D :) :cool:.
I have no doubt the you will enjoy your basement, Mike and it is great that you too have an understanding wife.:cool:
Happy Modeling.

Terry

This I'm keeping in mind for the day of our first house, if we decide to build... I read somewhere of some model RRer who ordered his benchwork lumber along with the housing lumber...ended up being tax deductable!

Matt--Hershey, Pa.

Pooh Bah
Years ago, there was a cartoon captioned "Model railroaders retirement community." The drawing showed a subdivision of covered basements with stairs up the side -- nothing above it.
I think it was the first issue of Great Model Railroads or Model Railroad Planning.