New Holiday village 2009

Discussion in 'Off Topic Lounge' started by allhallowseve, Dec 2, 2009.

1. allhallowseve

allhallowseve Member

Its that time again , Its 15 feet long , and Bigger then last years !! enjoy

Attached Files:

2. allhallowseve

allhallowseve Member

Happy Holidays ..

Attached Files:

3. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Wow! Where do you keep this when it is not being displayed?
  4. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Holy hannah!

My wife burned mine to the ground 3 years ago and it still hasn't recovered.
    True story...
  5. TRM

TRM New Member

Beautiful work!
  6. allhallowseve

allhallowseve Member

Oh in 7 box in the closet :)

Ekuth -- What happen to your village :(
  7. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

I had it set up on an antique table I had inherited. The table is about 4 x 8; so plenty of room for a village. I had carefully crafted the village using foamcore for a base, then affixed powdered snow (shredded styrofoam) using spray glue... forming my drifts, getting the trees all set, the pathways... the village, ect.

My wife set a scented candle next to the display.

We're cooking dinner, it's 30 mins until the guests arrive on Christmas Day. Suddenly, she looks at me and sniffs.

"What's that smell?"

It was at that point that we noticed the large cloud of acrid smoke coming from the living room.

SOMEHOW the candle had caught the snow on fire.

I look around the corner to see my beloved village in flames, looking like something out of a WWII film. London in the Blitz.

The fire burned right through the foamcore, the tablecloth underneath and set fire to the top of the table. The dripping plastic snow had fallen onto our wool area rug underneath... leaving a large burn hole about 1 foot in diameter.

The buildings were intact, being unfired ceramic/plaster, but the pain staking paint job on 3 were ruined beyond repair, requiring a complete repaint. wall1

I'm trying again this year, and the table still needs to be refinished. :rolleyes:
  8. TRM

TRM New Member

1st, I'm really sorry for your loss with the fire....but I can't help it....I am ROTFLAS & APMP....the visualisation of London burning.....I'm Dying. It is horrible to lose such a treasure....but it is certainly one for the record book....Greek Tragity....

From experience, EPS, expanded poly styrene (Styrofoam) goes up and in a hurry. I test product for a living and we burn all types of EPS, XPS (extruded) and other higly flamable stuff...stinks horrible too. You might as well had it in a lake of gasoline.

Fealing YOUR pain!

Thanks for sharing. I'm thinking of building one to burn it and film it...

9. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

I'll have to admit - your description of the incident is funny. Glad the damage was no worse.
  10. allhallowseve

allhallowseve Member

That we kill me to see my village burning :( Only with my luck the house would go with it !!

Then my wife would beat the crap out of me :(

Please post some pic's of it village this year if your able :)
  11. sharklord

sharklord New Member

Nice looking display- happy holidays to you!

12. Charlewood

Charlewood New Member

Your village is beautiful and Huge...Happy Holidays
  13. Zhara

Zhara New Member

Wow. Very nice. I'm beginning to discover that the most precious commodity for modelers is space. I'm wondering where I will put all my models once they're completed. Anyone got a spare warehouse they're not using???? lol
  14. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Better late than never!

Okay, as promised... pics of my resurrected village.

It's designed to split in half for storage, though you can't tell. All wiring is hidden under the base. The surrounding wall and cobblestone street is paper! :mrgreen:

15. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

A few more close up shots:

16. allhallowseve

allhallowseve Member

Its raises from the ash's "LOL" Your house's- i seem them some were :)
    HA ha ... Great job !! keep it a way from any open flames