new guy resistor question

bloyseboy

Jul 31, 2006
hey guys i was wondering of anyone could tell me what size carbon resistor to use when trying to install normal xmas strand lights. if someone could even tell me the band colors that would be cool rs only sells mutipacks. so i have this mutipack and don't know which ones to use.

We need alittle more information. First is what is the voltage you are feeding to the lights? I know the bulb voltage is 1.5 volts to operate. Next is are you wiring them out of the string they come with? There is a formula to figure this out. I just need more data. Just taking a simple guess. If you are using 12vdc as the input voltage. You can get away with 500 OHM to 2000 OHM. If you don't know how to read the color bands on resistors. I recomend you buying a DMM (multi-meter) at your local Radio Shack.:thumb:

Andy:wave:

bloyseboy

Jul 31, 2006
thanks man

i/m running it off of a seperate train transformer. so thats 17.5 volts. i cant remember the formula. i also just realized i have a good meter out in my shop. havn;t done any electrical stuff for awhie. if you could even let me know the formula that would be cool.