New Guy in at the deep end!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FlareBaffled, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

His last activity was April 29th of this year. Perhaps he got lost in the transition......I hope not.

2. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Hopefully he got rid of his crappy machine and got a newer one to work on the ISD.

Flarebaffled, I really hope you finish this! The papermodel world needs a decent Imperial Star Destroyer!! :D

How detailed to you plan on going? Simple textures or full-blown greebles, or something in between?
  3. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

For the larger flat areas on the hull, I will primarily do it with texture. The bigger, more significant lumps and bumps will be 3d layers of card to give a degree of 3d texture feel. IT would always be possible to greeble over the textures if needed, and I may do some optional 'greeble sheets' for those who want to print them off and stick them over the texture. This would be an add on kind of deal, and would be easy to do once the serious construction is done.

I don't want to over-complicate the initial build, since this would just add to the difficulty of getting a finished product into a state where others could build it. There are plenty of detail-holics who will do there own thing anyway...and I hope I will be making a solid base-vessel for them to build on as well.
  4. Millenniumfalsehood

I seem to remember a site that sold "greeble packs" for Milkshape 3D. It might be worth looking into. The link was in the Gunstar thread if I'm not mistaken, though it could have been from anywhere.

Regardless, I collect model kits, and if you need pictures of pieces to make greebles from, I'm at your disposal. I've got a couple of Rubbermaid containers full of plastic bits that would look good on a Star Destroyer, so you could use them for the extra greebles you mentioned. Also, the model of the Destroyer was made at 1:650 scale using warship kits of the same scale, so if you take pictures of actual warships and print them at 1:650 scale, you will get almost perfect plan views of certain parts. For instance, on the sides of the superstructure there are a lot of aircraft carrier side-pieces. You can see the oval holes where airplanes were loaded onto the side elevators. Also there are bridges, turret bodies, and antennae all over the greebled surfaces.

I also have the actual type of part used for the scanner globes on the Empire Strikes Back destroyer if you want something to go by. I can give you precise dimensions if you need them.

For the engine bells, try to find some of those old L'eggs pantyhose containers, as those were copied to make the larger aluminum parts for the TESB Star Destroyer. Alternatively, the Y-wing fighter used the containers for the sensor domes on the front of the engines, and the book Sculpting a Galaxy has a top-down picture of it.

The turrets on the sides of the superstructure can best be made by layering cardstock. There's a guy over on SSM who was working on a replica of the 8-foot miniature, and he has step-by-step pictorial instructions on how he made his. It might be useful. Here's a link to his web-page:

Julien's Modelshop

The turret is in the second group of pictures.

Anything else? :wink:
  5. Millenniumfalsehood

Almost forgot: The sides of the trenches are *not* flat. They each have several dips in the surface that give it a layered look. Here's a plan I made for a 24" model of the Destroyer:

As you can see, the pattern isn't symmetrical either.

This drawing was made from two pictures of the Imperial Star Destroyer under construction at ILM.
  6. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Yup...the trenches are definitely NOT flat.... the solid edge I have is hte base to build the detail on, and really represents the inner most 'line' of the thing. I will be building up the detail from there. This will need a solid base to stick thedetail on to so I can build it up. As a result, the frame is built to the smallest dimensions, and the detail will be 'sections' added on the base.

7. Millenniumfalsehood

Just thought I'd let you know. Some people insist on getting that area wrong. :wink: And Merry(belated) Christmas to you, too! :mrgreen:
  8. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Milleniumfalsehood .... it's REALLY great to have someone giving me all these sorts of tips and info. Some I already knew ... but there are bound to be things I missed, or things I knew but lacked proper references for. Your top down schematic of the lumps and bumps will be REALLY handy for me to make the trench structure from. I can build up blocks to go in each area, and greebles to sit on top of the boxes. A lot of th edetail will have to be in textures ..but I also want as much of a 3D feel as possible. It is one of the things that make the difference between a 'flat' picture of trenches, and something that feels like a real model. The trench and the sides of hte main superstructure blocks are the bits that I really want to get right.

Next step, though, is to build teh 'rim' of the upper and lower hull sections. I want to have that flat 'step' to the edge of the hulls, and that needs to be laid on before the trench is done. That way, I can anchor it securely to the strips along the side, and then cover that up when I build the trench. the main hull flat areas will cover the other side. Going to have to build these in stages with paper covered cardstock to give depth without the raw edge. Christmas alcohol abuse is over now, and I am back to work!
  9. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Now THAT was embarassing.....

I just went back and checked all my reference plans and such that I built the base mesh from, and it's NOT an ESD SD..... it's an original Episode IV Star Destroyer.

I know the overall shape is a bit different, and the bays etc. are different... so I am making an executive decision now. Rather than re-start the project, I am switching to build the Episode IV version. There is a whole load of modelling and mesh work that I don;t want to throw away... so it is less painful to admit the mistake, and change direction. At least I spotted it now rather than later!
  10. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Everyone makes mistake and I'm still looking forward to seeing it built up.:thumb:
  11. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Now...I am not sure. ... I just counted the bay ribs, and I got 7 ..and the main exhausts don't have the square shaped baffles.. which means I have an ISD II .... which is what I thought I had. Oh ...£$$£"%$£!!!! Now I am confusded ... lots confuseded... but not put off!

I will carry on with what I am now sure ( again ) is what I wanted!!!!
  12. Millenniumfalsehood

The horizontal proportions of the structural frame you sent me seem dead-on to the TESB Destroyer, compared to a pic I have of it suspended from the ceiling at ILM for detail work. It just needs to be a bit thicker(is that the right word?).

I'm more than happy to help. Whatever I can do to help see this project to completion. Heck, I may even build a prototype from scratch for myself to compare it to what you're going to come up with. I've wanted a huge Destroyer for a longe time, and paper is a wonderful scratchbuilding medium, it's very forgiving.

On the method of making the "doubled-hull" for lack of a better term, for the brim of the hulls, may I suggest having one large triangular piece glued to the structure, then have the modeler supply chipboard to use as a buffer for the upper level of the hull. Include a tiny wall to go around the chipboard and some tiny triangles locked together to form a rectangle for the small struts that line the brims.

I can't wait for this one! I'll probably ask to hang it up at my local hobby shop once it's finished, as they don't seem to think anything good can come from paper modeling.
  13. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Hmm...that's an interesting thought on the rim section. It's an area I think is quite important, since it gives a clean edge against the greebles, and defines the outline in plan view.
    Nearly finished the test build of the main hangar...but I made a bit of a blunder with the scale. When I printed it from Pepakura, the lines were far too 'thick'. I exported it to Photoshop as a BMP and scaled it up, then reduced it to single sheet size. Looked good until I found it had stretched it horizontally, and th ebay was too long. Built it up anyway, since it seemed a shame to waste the paper, and that highlighted a few areas where I needed to change the thing anyway to make it properly buildable. I tried to use very thin strips of card across the bay to make the multiple thin ribs ... but make them too thin and the card 'curls' when you cut it. Needed to thicken them slightly. Also, I had made some areas 3d when flat cardstock would have been just as good and far simpler!

Just need to get a good shot of the rear wall of the bay to finsih that off.
  14. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

hrm... just think how good a pair (one of each) would look together... :thumb:
  15. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Main hangar is complete, and the test build has gone according to plan. Pictures to follow.

Next main task will be the smaller forward hangar which won't take long. Then I start on the outer edge of the main hulls and the lateral trench.
  16. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

A vry poor photo of the hangar!

It shows most of the detail I have put in, but not as well as I wanted.
  17. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

Very nice!, if that's the level of detail coming for the rest of the ship - this is gonna be one very impressive beastie indeed!:thumb:
  18. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

a very poor photo of a VERY NICE looking hangar...

I'm with Oylpslyk, if that's the level of detail you're going for, this is going to be awesome indeed!! Can't wait to see more!
  19. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Beautiful. This is going to be an awesome ship.:thumb:
  20. Millenniumfalsehood

jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop

That is one AWESOME hangar! If that's an indication of the overall level of detail to be expected, I will definitely build up more than one!! You are doing one bang-up job! :thumb: