New Guy in at the deep end!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FlareBaffled, Dec 16, 2007.

1. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Feeling the lack of a big Star Destroyer to download and make, and disappointed with the low level of detail on the ones I have seen, I felt it was time to take the plunge.

I have built many a model in my time, and scratch built a few smaller ships... I wanted to have a crack at something BIG.

So....this will be my step by step efforts to turn a dream into a reality!

First off, I know something this size will need a solid backbone to build it on. A card skeleton wasthe first thing I needed.

I have a rough 3D mesh already built, which has given me the general shape. From this, I have made up a 'frame' mesh, and turned that into a PDO file.

This I have printed off and am busily glueing into shape, ready to start the basic skinning of the shape. Some photo's will follow when I have this bit done.
  2. jxn1138

jxn1138 Member

Oh sweet! This is going to be a nice kit.
  3. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

The framing has needed some fillets to give rigidity, but is going together nicely. I have had to add some additional reinforcement over the main shuttle bay too ... I am going to add these to the final PDO file, since I reckon they are pretty much essential to stop the spine from bending where it is cut away for the bay. Better to do that now!
  4. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Looks like you're off to a great start. I'll be watching this. I'm interested in a large scale kit and would love to see it come together.:thumb:
  5. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

Dewwwwwwd !!!
  6. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

7. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Oh NICE! This so brings back warm memories. I scratch-built a 4 ft ISD out of corrugated cardboard (internal frame and main body) covered with about a million individually cut and glued on panel bits of cereal box cardboard (all spraypainted then weathered abit). It had lights inside, and incredibly detailed side panels and docking bays (in my rose-tinted memory anyway). It was too huge to transport or store easily and ultimately didn't survive, but I still have the bottom parts to pine over from time to time. It was a one-off, but it sure would be nice to be able to get my hands on a nice paper model to revisit this beast of a ship (even if its a good deal smaller). I really look forward to this!
  8. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Groovy!! I like StarDestroyers, this is going to be a nice one to watch.
  9. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Apologies for the rubbish photo. It's late, I can't find the digital camera, and had to resort to using my phone for the snap. gives an overall impression.

This is the finished frame. I added some fairly crude extra bracing to the structure to stop it flexing. Wasn't overly bothered about the look of the braces and corner fillets, since none will be visible in the finished build. I will modify the PDO file to show some actual proper fillets and braces, so if anyone decides to have a go with the project later, they will have a more polished product with far less trial and error!

The red 'lump' in the foreground is a 12" ruler for scale.
    The end result is solid enough to be picked up and waved around without too much flex, and as the surface is panelled in, the structure will gain rigidity.

Now to start the next phase. Before I skin the beast, I want to construct the main hangar bays. I figure it will be a whole lot easier without the rest of the model there!
  10. greenelf1967

greenelf1967 Member

Looking great FlareBaffled!!! will definatley be watching this build progress!!
  11. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Wow! That's a good sized model! Have you seen that 3D foamcore jigsaw puzzle of the ISD? Looks to be even bigger. Very nice. Can't wait to see this one build up.
  12. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Looks good, the picture isn't that bad.:thumb: Looking forward to more.:D
  13. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Looks great to me!
    I'll be keeping an eye out on your progress. It looks like almost as much fun to watch as it is to build!

Keep them pics coming. That photo isn't that bad.
    At least we can see what your doing and check out your progress.

14. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

3D mesh for the bays is coming along nicely, but I am a bit concerned over the 'version' thing. I don;t know which hangar bay goes with which version! I intended to go for the Empire Strikes Back version, but I can't be sure which bay design I need. Can someone with a REAL knowledge of these things give me a few pointers here! I love the films, love the ships, and love the ISD design... but I am not that much of a fan that I know these things well enough to be confident. I have lots of source pictures, and some really nice shots of the areas I want to detail... but I don;t want to end up with a hybrid design that is just plain wrong!
  15. ajmadison

ajmadison Member

I won't be able to help you, but check out the Star Wars forum over at the discussion groups at They're be a couple of rivet counters there that can give you a concise answer.
  16. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

You rang? :mrgreen:

I have a book called "Sculpting a Galaxy" which has some pics of the hangar bays of the TESB Imperial Star Destroyer, as well as photos of the surface and trench details. I can scan it for you, but chances are you have the photos already.

There are several differences in the two models:

triple vectrals on primary thruster nozzles
    no protruding observation nodules on command tower
    main bay: 8 transverse ribs on the long walls
    secondary bay: hangar on aft wall
    device akin to linear array struts is mounted on command tower forward face
    huge quad cannons in the minor brim trench notches
    stern triangular keel plating is further astern
    tower support neck meets hull with a vertical surface
    main turrets: six doublet heavy turbolaser batteries; two doublet ion cannons

ring baffles on primary thruster nozzles
    some bridge windows possibly visible on command tower
    bridge panorama situated beneath thick vertical feature
    main bay: 7 transverse ribs on the long walls
    secondary bay: hangar on forward wall
    no obvious guns in the brim trench
    stern triangular keel plating is closer to ventral bulb
    tower support neck meets hull with a continuous diagonal surface
    main turrets: eight octet turbolaser batteries
    slightly different proportions for the main hull

Basically, stick with the eight-foot model and you'll do fine.

Have you checked out these sites?

Sci-fi reference pics

Forbidden Plastic

Starship Modeler: Star Wars Hardware Reference

STAR WARS: Star Destroyers

These should give you all you need.

BTW, can anybody give any information on Gofficfool's model? As I recal he was having severe computer malfunctions every time he tried to edit his model.
  17. OylPslyk

18. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Thanks everyone who posted links :D There is some really great stuff in there. Also useful was the quick rundown on which is which. That REALLY helps to put all the pics I have in perspective. I can now get properly going with the build
  19. OylPslyk

what happened to the last big SD thread? i just looked but couldnt find it.
    any help?
  20. OylPslyk