New guy has old train that I need info on.

tntcorvette

Hi everyone.

I have a old train from the '70's that is pretty cool. The smoke stack does not work but everything else is fine.

I'll attach a few pics and maybe you can help me i.d. this train.

Thanks alot!!!

Attachments

• picture 33.jpg
    picture 33.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 141

tntcorvette

oh, here is the one piece of track I have and I do not have the controls for it. I may be able to find them if I look.

Thanks again everyone & sorry for all the pictures.

Attachments

• picture 59.jpg
    picture 59.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 118
What Is It?

Yes, it's obviously Lionel, perhaps O-27; but I have no idea what specific train set it is. However, if it is complete (with boxes) it might be worth a few bucks.

tntcorvette

thanks for the tips. I think it is a Lionel train too. The only number is this one under the coal car.

Lionel 814IT-10

and I think the car carrier had a upper level too. But the rest of the stuff is gone.

:mad:

tntcorvette

one more question. Where can I get the parts I need to make this train work again?

I need track, the control module and what ever else I need to make it work. Also I want to get the smoke stack fixed too.

pcentral

Hi and welcome to The Gauge,
Sorry i haven't been here for a while and just saw your question. Your train is Lionel made sometime between 1973 and 1975 except for the Reading hopper which was made from 1986 to 1990. The track section you have is O27, this is the same gauge as O gauge but has a lower profile tie and rail simply put. Most full line hobby shops should have O27 in stock. If you plan to set this train up on the floor I suggest getting different track, especially since you only have the one piece. I recommend looking into O gauge tinplate(same style as O27 just more durable) or for a more realistic look Atlas O track. There are alot of choices out there for O gauge track and I have checked out most of them. These are the two that I use. Hope this helps you. If you have any more questions just ask.
Steve

Hi and welcome.

What you have is a train set from Lionel's MPC days. Lionel was bought by Genral Mills in 1969 IIRC. These were cheap sets, but they ran fairly good, especialy that engine. It is an O27 train set and more than likely runs with an AC transformer, but before you try it look up the engine number. Greenburgs LIonel guide for the MPC years will give you all the info you need. As for track, K-Line makes track exactly like what you have. Another source of track that I like, is MTH's real track. It has a molded on road bed that allows floor running and not carpent lint will get up into the motor. Neat set, enjoy.

Greg Elems