New GO Transit Locomotive

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by tetters, May 24, 2007.

1. tetters

tetters Rail Spiking Fool!

Anyone see this yet?

2. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

WOW, somebody beat that poor thing with a ugly stick. My opinion. Great picture though.
    P. S. I am going to send you a P.M.

3. RobertInOntario

RobertInOntario Active Member

I like the look of this new loco! I also like how they've tweaked the GO livery. Personally, I'm not that crazy about the GO livery and colours, etc. I think it's a little tired looking and maybe a little too 70s!

At any rate, I think it's great that they're getting some new locos and my kids and I sure enjoy watching the many GO Trains we see in Toronto.

4. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

That's not as bad as the "wave" paint scheme we have on the Sounder in Washington State.

5. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

6. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

I guess if it can't be fast, they have to paint it at least so it looks fast...

7. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

I happen to like 60s-70s "modern" paint schemes. For a moment, I thought this was an F59PHI, as I'm not so used to the model it actually is: MP36PH. That misidentification made me actually like it, which made me wonder if the MP36PH is as ugly as I used to think...
  8. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

These engines are for passenger trains only correct? Would it not be cheaper to just use a standard loco? Or is there a market to justify them
  9. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

Freight locos aren't fitted with HEP, and thus can't work passenger assignments.

These aren't the first MP36s; CalTrain, at least, also has them.
  10. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

Whats HEP?
  11. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

Head End Power, electrical power supply for the cars. Back in steam and early diesel days, steam heating was used instead. Thus, diesel or electric passenger locomotives had to carry a steam generator. GO Transit was one of the early users of HEP in the 60s. It didn't become ubiquitous until the Amtrak era.
  12. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

See you can teach an old dog:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: Thanks triplex
  13. Dave Flinn

Dave Flinn Member

HEP=Head End Power. All (I think) modern passenger trains (at least in North America) use it. The power for heating, cooling and lighting comes from the locomotive. Of course, the cars usually have some battery backup to use during engine changes etc., but this is not the primary power for the cars.
  14. galt904

galt904 Member

I believe they are MP40... not MP36... at least that's the correction given on the CPR list.