New from FG

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by RINGMASTER, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

FG New Models

The ususal (old) site is up and running again, while we wait for things to get organized.

all the best,
  2. 46rob

46rob Member

If anyone has ever attempted to go through each page of that site, you'll know what a monster it is. Every model has a web page--that in itself is a lot, but then there are countless pages on every aspect of Fiddler's Green, links to other sites, building tips. then there are all the download pages, the freebies, the list goes on--I believe that FG is being very optomistic about their re-opening time....We'll just have to wait and see.

Fiddlers Green is a big deal to a lot of modelers for lots of reasons--first--they've got more models than any other site, at very low cost. The models are entry level for the most part and cover a broad spectrrum of interests.

Another thing is that Chip encourages folks to modify his models, and if they meet his standards, he'll add them to the collection with proper credit, and sometimes a CD or subscription to MK's for the effort. Thats what got me into designing my own models. He even includes Black andWhite drawings just for this purpose.

Lastly, it's a fun site to go to--you never know what you'll find as you dig through all the pages.

That's why everyone is in such a state of anticipation about it's grand re-opening.
  3. possm_23

possm_23 Member

I couldnt have said it better myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:twisted:

btw....HAPPY ST. PATRICKS DAY!!!!!!!:grin:
  4. John Dell

John Dell New Member

Hi Golden Bear,
    I had always been fascinated by the large complex paper kits. But they are very intimidating. And then I found Fiddlers Green. I downloaded the Fokker D.VII and the P-51 and was very pleased with how the planes went together in a relatively short period of time. With my deep interest in history combined with my illustration experience, I decided to see how they would look if I re-drew them. And as they say, the rest is history. The bottom line is, that most anyone, regardless of skill, can download a Fiddlers Green kit and in a very short time build a very handsome and fun model.

Thanks for the info on the "Where Eagles Dare" Ju 52. If I ever do re-visit the Ju 52 I would do that plane with alternate parts so the Swiss and German versions could be built. I was also wondering since you live in Sweden, do you have access to any information on the Swedish B-17's that were converted to airliners after the war? I am a huge B-17 fan and my plan is to do a series of models of each major production version and then I'd like to do all of the different variations like the XB-38, YB-40 and the various other civil and military versions.

I also found that using plastic model paint to color the insides of cowls also adds some additional rigidity. How did you build the life boat for the air-sea rescue B-17? This is another B-17 variant I plan to do in the future. I'm glad your models went over well at the library. And I hope you'll like the Y1B-17's.
  5. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Swedish B-17´s

I´ll see what I can find. We have a museum nearby from the Swedish Air Force, in Linköping. I have a friend who works there now and then -
    I´ll ask him and try some other sources. Give me a couple of days and I´ll get back to you.
    BTW, here´s a link to the brand new web page of that particular museum (only in Swedish, I´m afraid, but there are some nice pics):
  6. bigtom

bigtom Member

I was burnt out on plastic models and a big part of that was that I was obsessing about detail to the point of never finishing anything and not enjoying building. The FG planes are great representations of the subjects. As a bonus I like to build them to fly ( F-100 is the best by far!). Also a lot of my clients have airplanes in their office!

7. modelincard

modelincard Member

I recently was able to get on to FG. Nothing new yet, but they say (as of March 13) that they should be done by Monday.
  8. maple 01

maple 01 New Member

Bit like Kelly's Heros

It's UP!

No it 'aint!
  9. John Dell

John Dell New Member

Thanks in advance for anything you can turn up. I have a few photos but they don't show all of the markings clearly. In particular, I am looking for images of the U.S. Air Force Museum's "Shoo Shoo Baby" as she appeared in Swedish service.

That museum is very impresive. A very nice collection.
    The Swedish Spitfire and Mustang would make fine models.
    Thanks again,
  10. CharlieB

CharlieB Member

Has anyone had any luck try to connect to FG's website? It 1940 on the East Coast and I just tried to sign on and it was taking a looong time to connect.

11. possm_23

possm_23 Member

it kinda worked for awhile today........but not now...i guess the 13th has got here
    :twisted: :cry:
  12. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Swedish B-17...

Hi John,

I´m glad that you liked the Museum´s site, in spite of the Swedish text.
    I´ve been away a couple of days at an annual sports & outdoor fair here in Stockholm, and this week I will prepare for a garden fair the upcoming weekend.
    But I will try to look into the matter and se what I can dig up!
    I think I´ll phone my friend in Linköping...

Take care.
  13. possm_23

possm_23 Member

Has any one heard any good news from Fiddlers Green........deadline has come and gone...and still nothin......:( :( :( :???:
  14. 46rob

46rob Member

I think the timeline Chip set for changeover was very optimistic. In the mean time, there are lots of other sites worth visiting. Besides it's spring--and it's time to get outdoors....unless of course you live in a place where mother nature forgot to look at the calendar and invited old man winter in for another visit. Then you need to be out shoveling off that springtime snow.
  15. possm_23

possm_23 Member

my ole daddy always sed...ifun ya gonna promise the moon...ya better have it in yur hip pocket:rofl: :rofl: :lol:
  16. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Snow shovels

That´s me in a nut shell - today ol´man winter came visiting again in Stockholm.
    Spring is a month or two away here...

Still hoping,
  17. CharlieB

CharlieB Member

Has anybody had any luck connecting to FG? I tried several times yesterday and even though I got through, I couldn't access the forum section. This morning I let it try and connect for about 10 mins only to get a response - Can't find server. There's no link to the home page.

18. possm_23

possm_23 Member

FG is up and down....they are changing the website....when u can get on....the forum does not work but most everything else does......i am sure it will be it old self soon...i hope.....:( :)
  19. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

FG - On and Off...

Hi possm_23,

I was able to connect to FG today, too. But as you say, the Forum is temporarily down.
    I have thought about buying the Gotha WW I Bomber, but I think I´ll wait until the new site is up and running.

Bengt :grin:
  20. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Swedish B-17s converted to civilan use

John Dell (and other interested),

Here's what I've collected on the conversion of B-17s which made emergency landings in Sweden during the war:

There was one place where the B-17 did fly paying passengers--Sweden. During the war, sixty-eight B-17s flying over Germany had been forced to divert to Sweden when their crews found that they were unable to return to England. Since Sweden was neutral, these planes had to be interned and their crews sent to camps. A program was worked out in late 1944, in which the crews and other interned Americans were allowed to return to England. In exchange, the US government agreed to let Sweden "purchase" nine of the interned Fortresses for $1.00.

Swedish authorities converted seven of these planes into commercial transports for the SAAB airline, stripping them of their military equipment and installing airline-type seating. The nose windows were removed and the length of the nose was increased in order to make room for more passengers. These B-17 airliners were operated for several postwar years before being replaced by more conventional airliners.

The following is a list of interned B-17s converted as commercial transports in Sweden:

Swedish registrations Designation Ex-USAAF Serials

SE-BAH B-17F-75-DL 42-3543
    SE-BAK B-17F-115-BO 42-30661
    SE-BAM B-17G-5-BO 42-31163
    SE-BAN B-17F-70-DL 42-3490
    SE-BAO B-17G-40-BO 42-97115
    SE-BAP B-17G-35-BO 42-32076
    SE-BAR B-17G-35-DL 42-107067

SE-BAR and SE-BAP were sold to the Danish air line DDL in late 1945 as OY-DFE and OY-DFA respectively. In 1948, OY-DFA was sold to the Danish Army Air Corps under the serial number 67-672. In 1949, it was transferred to the Royal Danish Navy, and in 1952 it was transferred to the Royal Danish Air Force. It operated with the RDAF under the serial number ESK-721 and was used for transport, mapping, and communication. It was placed in storage in late 1953. In 1955, the Danish Air force finally sold the aircraft to the French Institut Geographique National (IGN), which added the plane to its fleet of B-17s that flew world-wide photographic and geophysical survey missions. Its French civil registration number was F-BGSP. It eventually ended up derelict, sitting out in the open as it was slowly scavenged for spare parts. In 1972, the USAF Museum purchased it and returned it to the US. It was restored in its original markings (with the nose art "Shoo Shoo Shoo Baby") and put on display at the Wright-Patterson AFB museum at Dayton, Ohio. I saw it there in 1992.

1. Boeing Aircraft Since 1916, Peter M. Bowers, Naval Institute Press, 1989.

2. Final Cut--The Post-War B-17 Flying Fortress: The Survivors. Scott A. Thompson, Pictorial Histories Publishing Co.

About Shoo-Shoo Baby:

Delivered to USAAF as 42-32076, 19??.
    - Allocated to the 91st BG/401st BS/"Shoo Shoo Shoo Baby"
    - Interned, Bulltofta, Malmo, Sweden, May 29, 1944. SAAB, Nov. 2, 1945.
    - Registered as SE-BAP for test flight.
    DDL-Danish Airlines, Nov. 5, 1945-1947
    - Registered as OY-DFA.
    - Flown as "Stig Viking"
    - Belly laned at Blackbushe, UK, Nov. 27, 1945.
    - Repaired, delivered to DDL-Copenhagen on Feb. 25, 1946
    - Withdrawn from use June 25, 1947.
    Delivered to Royal Danish AAC as 67-672, Mar. 31, 1948
    - Flown as "Store Bjoern".
    Delivered to Royal Danish Navy as 67-672, Dec. 1, 1949-1952. Delivered to Royal Danish AF as 67-720, Oct. 24, 1952.
    - Retired, stored. Oct. 1, 1953.
    Babb Co Inc, New York, NY, Feb. 2, 1955. Institut Geographique National, Creil, Apr. 6, 1955-1972.
    - Registered as F-BGSH.
    - Last flight July 15, 1961.
    - Retired at Creil, became derelict.
    USAF Museum, Jan. 23, 1972-1988
    - Hulk donated by French government.
    - Airfreighted dismantled to Wright-Patterson AFB, Feb. 4, 1972.
    - Airfreighted to Dover AFB for restoration, July 1972. USAFM, Wright-Patterson AFB, Dayton, OH, Oct. 1988-2002
    - Delivered from Dover AFB on Oct. 13, 1988.
    - Displayed as 232076/91st BG/"Shoo Shoo Baby".

I have also collected a number of images of the conversion to the civilan aircraft, type "Felix" which I attach. If you are interested in the detailed history of the various aicrafts converted I have some (not much) data (needs translating though).

As you can see, the interior of the "Felix" (bird risen from the ashes; pretty apt, right?) was quite luxurious. The Swedish Felixes flew to Scotland (Prestwick) during the war (sometimes hunted by German night fighters over Norway), and immediately after the war crossed the Atlantic to various North American destinations, and even down to Rio de Janeiro. They were replaced by the DC-4 as soon as that became available.

Personally, I've always dreamed about converting a B-17 model to this civilan version. But, alas, a bit out of my ability.

Attached Files: