New from FG

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by RINGMASTER, Mar 12, 2006.

1. John Dell

John Dell New Member

I'm glad to hear you liked the Ju 52. When I was picking paint schemes I was very close to doing a winter scheme like the one shown in "Where Eagles Dare". There is also a Swiss winter paint scheme just like it. Perhaps if I someday get the urge (and time) I'll do some more Ju 52's. I'd really like to do the float plane version at some point.

How much did you enlarge it? I usually like to see how small I can get them. I've built the B-24 and the Ju 52 at 50%. It would be interesting to print one out on tabloid (11"x17") size stock.

Back on topic, I'm looking forward to seeing what Chip is going to have for us when the site is back up.
  2. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Junkers Ju-52/3m, Enlarged

I enlarged it about 141 %, to fit European standard A3, which is 420 by 297 millimeters, which is the largest width for my ink jet.
    The Lufthansa version came out very nice on 230 g/m2 matte photo paper but I would like to try it on Silver paper or slightly Glossy paper stock, too.
    Moreover, I forgot to print the backside sheets of the fuselage in a greyish interior colour, so I guess I might as well start over...

Yes, I saw the winter scheme supplied with the model but it wasn´t quite the one I wanted. That was the winter scheme for the Russian front and I wanted the Bavarian Jagdgeschwader scheme. Where is the Swiss winter scheme? Is it supplied with the kit? Must have missed it...
    I kind of got hooked on the grandiose "Where Eagles Dare" opening sequence with the camouflage-painted Ju-52 when I was a teenager, some thirty years ago. The roaring engines and the exciting music with the drums; racatacatac - tacatac - tacatacatac... I never forgot it and I never will. One of the finest and most dramatic opening sequences in movie history!
    I´m going to design this paint scheme in Photoshop one of these days...

all the best,
    in Stockholm

PS. I think you should include some more spacecraft on FG, too. Perhaps in a further co-operation with Delta 7 Studios? The Mercury capsule is really nice in the large size (if it wasn´t so blue - I don´t understand why?..):cry:
  3. John Dell

John Dell New Member

Hi Bengt,
    No I have not done the Swiss scheme yet. Hopefully sometime in the future. I just thought it was interesting that they used the same scheme. It looks pretty sharp with those big red and white crosses.

That opening sequence in "Where Eagles Dare" is pretty amazing. I wonder where that Ju 52 came from?

The silver paper should give an interesting effect. Take some pictures if you can.

I also like to print the backsides of the pages, especially for parts like engine cowls.

Take care,
  4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Guys,

You could just get a light grey marker and color the backside after the part was cut out. It works for me.

Hey John,

I look forward to the new relaeses of the B-17, I put your 299 and the Air Sea Rescue version in the Library display I had Jan and Feb. They were so well liked they did not get to come home with me. They were the first ones snapped up! I did add a scratch built airdrop boat to the rescue version, really added to the model.:twisted:
  5. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Swiss Junkers Ju-52/3m Used In "Where Eagles Dare"

Hi John,

The Ju-52/3m that was used in the movie came from the Swiss Air Force and was in full operational use at the time of the production, in 1968.
    If you look really close at the scenes in the movie (DVD) you can see where on the plane they have covered up the Swiss markings and added the German (number designations, swastikas, and the like).
    I have a suggestion:
    If you are going to do the Swiss winter scheme for the Ju-52, how about doing a version (which is very similar, apparently) of the plane from the film? Wouldn´t that be interesting? Perhaps with some additional info on the movie at the FG home page!

refer to this link for some additional trivia on the movie "Where Eagles Dare":

The action/ thriller movies made in the end of the 60s have got a special flare to them, although they didn´t have access to the fancy CGI special effects of today´s fim making. Perhaps that´s why they have such a 'real' artistic touch and don´t feel so 'computer synthetic' as some of the movies we see today (e.g. "King Kong").

take care,
  6. CharlieB

CharlieB Member

Has anyone tried signing on to FG's site this morning? I just tried aand it taking forever to load.

7. Texman

Texman Guest

The site might be up later today. Depending on where you live, and taking
    into account your time zone, it could be tomorrow before it's up. Chip and
    company are making a major change, so it could even be longer.

8. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Going through withdrawal....:-(

I gave up trying to download the site this morning after it crept along slowly for a good two minutes...I say slowly because I am using a LAN connection and it usually takes barely three seconds to access the site normally.

I am very excited about the possibility of new models, so that helps.:grin:

Meanwhile I have been playing around with an old FG model of the Yak 38 by recoloring all I need is some time to build her...along with the Fokker EIII I am starting to build (which is part of another thread here) and a Fokker DRI from Sero Paperwarbirds...not to mention the other projects already in progress that I haven't finished yet...still, I can't wait to see the new FG offerings...sad, isn't it?:grin:

9. doc_harvey

doc_harvey Member

Just tried at 08:33 (CST) and still "no go"...hopefully they'll be up after I get home from work...
  10. possm_23

possm_23 Member

It's 9 a.m. okie time and still a no go........:cry: :sad:

ps our gas went up 16 cents yesterday ...from 2.33 to that really p.o'sme....:mad:
  11. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Still No Access to Fiddlers Green

Same thing here in Sweden.
    it´s now past nine in the evening and I haven´t been able to access the site.
    I suppose Chip & Co are hard at work setting things up. I´ll just try again tomorrow. It´s probably well worth the wait.

Patience is a virtue achieved by practice.
  12. modelincard

modelincard Member

5:47 EST:

The Eagle is in the air (still).

13. possm_23

possm_23 Member

ok modelin lost me........:cry: :-? :confused:
  14. Darwin

Darwin Member

Well, it sure as hell hasn't landed yet.
  15. Darwin

Darwin Member

Well, quite frankly......for every 20 Helinski kits that are sold, I would be surprised if more than one gets successfully built. For every completed Halinski build string I've seen, there must be at least ten people publicly admitting their attempt wound up in the trash can. I am willing to bet that Fiddlers Green has a greater percentage of kits sold that are actually successfully built than any other supply house....and I'll also make a wager that Fiddlers Green has brought more English-speakers into the hobby than any three other supply houses combined. As the old Limeliters song about the millionare said so eloquently....sometimes beans taste just fine.:wink:
  16. silverw

silverw Member

Gas Prises & FG

Hey All...

My gas went up from 90.1 to 98.9!!

... Bill
  17. damraska

damraska Member

In my opinion, Fiddler's Green does well for three reasons: they offer decent models at low prices, they offer relatively easy models, and they offer a wide variety of models. Most people want their paper models cheap or free. Most people want models that build up in a night or two, and that do not require exceptional skills. Most people love to collect.

Though I build kits at the opposite end of the difficulty spectrum, I appreciate the models from Fiddler's Green and almost always point newcomers at their website. My models generate a lot of interest. However, when people see the unbuilt kits, I universally hear two things: they look really hard and they must take a long time to build. Yet, the coolness factor keeps these people interested. So, I recommend they start with something simple like a model from Fiddler's Green. They're also great for kids.

18. CharlieB

CharlieB Member

It's 0745 EST here on the East Coast. Has anyone had any luck with FG today?

19. possm_23

possm_23 Member

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...still no FG>>>this is gettin serious........:cry: :???: :-?

It's taking a long time to switch servers. i expect we'll get a e-mail when it's done.