New Freighter Model HAMMONIA by Passat-Verlag in 1:250 scale

Jim Krauzlis

No, I haven't bought this kit...yet...but I came across it while visiting the Kartonbau-werft forum and I thought some of the ship lovers out there would like to see her. It's a beautifully detailed combo fast freighter bearing Hapag-Lloyd line markings with containers as part of her deck cargo. When I first saw her the ship just struck something in me, she has some beautiful lines; it reminds me of the merchant ships I sailed on and saw many a time during the early days of containerization, before the full containerships took over the trades. It's a new model being offered by Passat Verlag in 1:250 scale, kit number 14. What really caught my eye is the degree of fine detail used by the designer in this kit, Dr. Henning Budelmann (if my German translation is correct; if not, I'm sorry :( ). It's a waterline only design (sorry, Rob, no big, red bottom! :wink: ), and it really is a very attractive model.

There's a nice Paper Model Portrait available from the Kartonbau-werft site if anyone is interested in seeing a few more photos of her. Check it out at:
http://www.papership.de/wbb2/info_db.php?action=file&fileid=145&subkatid=6&noheader=0&sid=

I didn't see it offered by many places yet, though I did see it at Lighthouse Model Art.

Just so you know, I have no affiliation whatsoever with Passat-Verlag or any other paper model dealers, I just thought it was a beautiful ship and perhaps some of you hadn't seen it yet so I wanted to share it with you.

murban

Hello friends,

This is truly a beautiful model. I have seen it built at the international card modeler convention in Bremerhaven, and couldn't resist to grab a kit.

It is worth every cent - beautifully printed, all fold marks are outside the parts, lots of fine details, etc.

It is not easy, but with time and care you should be able to turn the kit into a masterpiece.

Highly recommended for the advanced card modeler.

regards,
Michael

Leif Oh

Thanks for the tip, Jim! By the way, would you have a suggestion if I were ever to contemplate a freighter ship? I'm thinking of the older type, I think they were called "three-island". (Is that correct?) - Leif

Jim Krauzlis

Hi, Leif! :D

Looking for a three-island type of freighter? If it's the type I am thinking of, it's probably the type of merchant ship most think of when they think of a freighter, a classic design; forecastle, midship house and after house, with cargo holds located between the houses forward and aft.

I've not built one yet, so I wouldn't be qualified to recommend any particular model, but one of the more expansive lines of merchant freighter that I am sure you are aware of is that of Wilhelmshavener, who offer nice models of the Noderholm, Troyburg, Jason and the Solingen, all of which seem to be three-islanders. I find this line of kits is pretty good, but it all depends on when the kit was designed, some of the earlier ones having graphics that have now been improved with the more modern printing techniques.

I'm sure there are more models out there, I just can't put my finger on any better examples. I do have a nice little 1:500 scale kit from their "Kleiner Wilhelmshavener" line, which I believe is also a three-islander, cute little fellow I've had in my "to be built" pile for quite a while now. Here is the photo they have on the Moduni site:
http://www.moduni.de/picture/500/1/7/0/0/1700502a.jpg

I hope to get to her soon as I do like the looks of this type of freighter. I plan on increasing her size to 1:400 to match the other JSC line of kits I have. I think this would make a very nice, though small, model...but I seem to like the smaller kits, for some reason. :wink:

I probably haven't been much help, but hopefully this has given you some ideas. :D

Cheers!

Jim

Leif Oh

Thanks Jim! I've been looking through some of the manufacturer's lists, too. But since I'm an ABSOLUTE novice in this field, I thought it best to get some advice.

The freighter in your image looks exactly like what I'd like to have - although in my case it would have to be in as large scale as possible (you know me, too, I believe...).

If you come across anything, give me a note. This is just a far-off idea in any case, probably not for years yet...

Thanks again, Leif