New FREE long term project

Ashrunner

Sep 26, 2005
Redmond, Oregon
Kancho ... Outstanding idea and a beautiful start. Models of weapons is definitely a long term project considering the different number available. I have even considered beginning a design series based strictly on weapons past and present. Glad to see someone who knows what they are doing taking up the challenge. Again, thanks from every aircraft modeler who wants to 'bash' a kit to something 'meaner looking.' 8v)

Gil

Jan 25, 2004
Northern Bear Flag Republic
Kancho,

Gracious thanks for your offering. The F-104 project is exceptionally novel. What have you changed as regards your design philosophy if you're willing to discuss without giving away any secrets?

Best regards, Gil

wingsbg

Mar 24, 2004
Bulgaria
kancho.muncho.org
Thanks to all. I'm glad you liked it

Gil, It will be hard to me to explain what I have changed - Mainly for my bad Eglish I'm unable do discrabe in detiles. But I'll try, only please be merciful with my English :))).

So, the main is that the F104 was one of my first projects - it was 4 y ago. Since these 4 years I haven't stop to design (except about 6 months) - now I hope I'm more expirienced designer than I was then. Along last year and half I made basic design for abot 10-15 Fiddlers Greens models and this was very important for the forming of my today design philosophy. I have learned many things from Chip and I'm very thankful to him.
By the way I'm continuing to design for him.
Another very important thing is that I have finaly defined the format of my models-some basic characteristics:
-scale 1:48
-complexity - not so hard, but with ability to be extended
-downloadable format of the models - it means small number of pages -as small as it is possible.
-coloring - good coloring with very low stage of imitation shading. Adding the imitation of 'technikal dirt'. Accurately marking.

What all these defines (Of course from my view point)?

1. The main is - Internal frames - as small as it is possible. The scale 1:48 lets it and this makes the model simplest and decreases the number of elements. The fuselage is built by rings. At all the shape of the model is selfdefined. But at all I usualy give few sections who those whu like it. (In truth I'm using them too :))))
2. The plane can be build whit or without cockpit interior.
3. I place many details but they are as simple as it possible. What do I mean? - I give an example - look on the gears in my models they are flat and the whells are simple cilinders. These makes model simplest and sweetable for builder, but advanced builder can replace the flat gear by 'pipe' and simple cilinder with good shaped whell (by using the 'multy layer' technology). This will be ease for advanced modeler if my simple and flat details are exact and mainly if the place where they are conected with other details are marced correct.

Another important thing that was changed along these 4 years are my software routines - parallel with designing I have redeveloped them some times. Now they permit me to make much more things in beter way. And now the proces of designing is easer and much precission for me.

Many modelers are interested of this my old project - F-104 and may be I'll redesign it, but I don't know when. But very soon those, whu know it will be able to find where is the difference, because in few days I'll present my new model Rafale-B. The two planes are jets and their vision aren't so different. May be they are good for comparision.

... I don't know - may be differences aren't so big ... You'll take decission

Best regards

Kancho Iliev

Bulgaria

Gil

Jan 25, 2004
Northern Bear Flag Republic
Kancho,

Chip's models are fairly marveloous when it comes to novel ways to make paper shapes. I have always been impressed with his ability to make a fuselage out of a single cutout. It seems you are moving down from pure scale to "buildable scale"...., this is what Chip really is all about. Making the model easily built is mandatory for return customers. The ability to "upgrade" the model as the modelers skills grow is important to keep an ongoing interest. Keeping the model in the "low bandwidth download" category is important as a large portion of the World is still waiting to get a telephone let alone DSL or Cable service and downloading of high definition images are mostly beyond the ability of the phone systems in many regions of the Earth. Amounts to a very challenging design requiremens list...,

Best regards & good designing, Gil

P.S. I am currently wrestling with very questionable 3 view data. Finally put everything on one big sheet and compared one to the other. Amazing how bad most of the line drawings are. I'm now using actual photograhs to make sure everythings where it should be and is nearly the right size...., Goes to show that scale is only a relative thing.