New Fokker E-III (okay, several)

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by Texman, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

No comments yet?

Yeah, I know, I don't believe it either!
  2. Richard

Richard Member

Way to go Russell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    and don't forget to post some pics.
    (sorry for the 'late' reply, had to eat first..........:) )
  3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

My printer just caught fire!!!

Oh well, bad break.
  4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Did anybody buy that one? 8)
  5. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Just kidding of course!

I am laminating card at the moment.

The 1mm card I just received from lighthouse measures .046 inch which is a little over 1mm.

I remember reading somewhere in this thread that the 1mm card was too thick for the Eindeckers so I am trying to make something that comes in at around .032.

I will figure out a combination of card that will work for this, in short order.

Russell (The eternal procrastinator)

6. Richard

Richard Member

one tip on the laminating; use 0,5 to 0.8mm for parst 12 and 22.
    if you use thicker card you might run into problems. Also be carefull with laminating part 11, better to first figure out the thickness you need when the fuselage sides and bottom are attached than sticking it to card already.

7. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

OK Sir.

Thank you very much for the tip.

8. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Fokker E.III Nr. 210/16

I just couldn´t keep my fingers away from it - I´ve started cutting work on the new Eindecker as well . . .
    It´s a beautiful version, Richard.

It struck me, as I started looking into some datafiles, that the wheels on this one is equally challenging as the green version - there were uncovered spoked wire wheels on the 210/16 plane that the British captured on April 8, 1916, in France.
    This is clearly evident both in the photo which was taken on just after the plane had been captured (with curious onlookers surrounding it) and also on the photo taken on April 13, 1916, after the plane had been repainted with the British markings prior to it´s dispatch to England.
    Both these pictures are displayed in front of the real plane in Science Museum, on a small stand.
    However, pictures from the Science Museum in London, shows that the wheels have been covered; there ARE dark grey or black metal sheet caps on both sides of the spoked wheels:
    One wonders when they were put there?

That´s when Eric´s excellent tutorial on how to build spoked wheels comes in handy!

9. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

Hope so!
  10. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

11. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

I was so interested by all what you posted in theis thread, that I got back to my new DVD collection on the 100 years of flight (that one I didn't tell my wife about), to check again something I saw about the Fokker planes.
    Wow, that's really something.
    Me too, I had 3 models in the workbench for the museum, but I think the Fokker will be a great treat for the museum to display. And this time I can put some history facts in it.
    Thanks again!!
  12. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Bengt et al, question here... Is the one in the London museum the real thing and the one in San Diego a replica?
  13. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Original and Replica

Correct, Gerardo,

The replica in San Diego is regarded to be one of the finest replicas of the Fokker E.III. It is built to flying standard although it has never actually been tested in the air.
    This replica is the basis of Fokker-Team-Schorndorf´s excellent CD-ROM book "Fokker E.III in Detail".

Bengt :grin:
  14. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Well, I am off to a good start.
    I originally just wanted to build a Fokker but Richard's coloring of the Morane looks too sweet to pass up.
    I am uploading pics of my progress, to Image shack, so that I can post multiple pics in a post.
    I will start a new thread for this build shortly.

15. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Awesome :) I just watched a special on Nova about the red baron and it got me wanting to build something of that era too :D
  16. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Morane Saulnier type N "Bullet"

I couldn´t resist cutting in to your French version of the Morane.
    Then I discovered something which can be really useful for our Fokker E.III builds - in this model, light GREY tires are supplied.
    If it´s the same size (which I assume it is) I´m going to use them for all the three Fokkers. Tires from this period were grey, made from natural rubber and it wasn´t until 1918 that the Michelin company mixed soot in the rubber compound to make black tires.
    (The original Fokker in the Science Museum has black tires and I assume they have been changed several times over a ninety-year period).

Just thought you might want to know,
  17. charliec

charliec Active Member

I would have thought if the tires were natural rubber they would have been pale brown when new and would gradually go grey as the rubber aged/oxidised.

18. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Grey or Brown 'Natural India' Rubber Tires?

Thanks - you might have a good point there. The same colour as some uncoloured rubber bands? That might be the 'natural India rubber' colour.
    Perhaps the grey tires were in some way coloured light grey? It´s difficult to tell from old black & white photographs - all we can clearly see that they are a very light colour.

I´ll dig into this on the web and try to find some more answers. When I visited the 19th FAI Flying Scale Model World Championships, which were held in Norrköping, Sweden on the 13th - 23rd of July, all of the large 1:4 (and very detailed) scale model planes had BLACK tires, even an Australian Fokker E.III Eindecker. Please refer to this link on the AerodromeRC Forum for some of my pictures of this fine model, made by Brian Green:
    Please refer to this interesting link (previously found and posted by Gil, some pages ago) to the long discussion on colour and tire & wheel dimensions on The Aerodrome Forum: Engels tires
    This link (again) sheds some light on the history of rubber tires - click on "1918":

This matter is certainly worth taking seriously - the correct colour and shade of the tires improves the overall 'scale-like' appearance of our models.

Best regards,
    Bengt :roll:
  19. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Bengt, thank you for the link of the thread on the Fokker III Aerodrome's site. I really liked the photos and the narrative.
    I have to get my hands on that Fokkers.
    Also I downloaded the Caudron... slow but sure.
  20. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Caudron G. 3

Hi Gerardo,

The Caudron G.III from the server is a very nice model, even if it´s VERY slow to download - it´s worth the wait, though. However, it´s a bit dark and black-brownish.
    But these two are plain jpeg-files, so I recommend (if you have any version of Photoshop) that you lower the contrast and correct the colour scale to a bit more towards a subtle cream yellow - try the "Hue, Saturation, Color Balance or Variations" options under "Image" and "Adjustments". You can also make it a little brighter and less hard/contrasty under "Brightness/Contrast"
    And, while you´re at it, improve the sharpness a bit with "Unsharp mask", about 60 or so. That should give you two very nice sheets to build your Caudron model from.

Good luck!