New Fokker E-III (okay, several)

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by Texman, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

After spending at least an hour on the links above... I soooo want to sit down plan and build an EIII... I just don't have the work space to do it in.

I guess I gotta break down and get a tool box to hold my build tools in like I do for my Army/Fantasy figs. =:):::
  2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

This site also has a really cool video depicting an reenactment of a war battle and dogfighting between some great Airplanes like the Eindecker and Mauraine Soulnier and of course the Red Baron is there as well.
    Really cool but a big download, over 27 Mb. There is a smaller version 3 Mb but the picture isn't very clear. Still worth a look though.
    The video is the second link from the bottom on the left side of the page.
  4. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Landing Sideways Nose Down

Yeah, that´s a good one! That must have been something to witness - I hope the triplane wasn´t blinded by the dirt and smoke, and crashed as well! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
    I´ve gotta see the video . . .
    Thanks for finding it.

5. Richard

Richard Member

Hi all,

is anybody still busy building their Eindecker(s)? Bengt, finished gardening yet :) ?
    If there's still space I'd like to join the gang, started building the grey version and Rauschke's plane last weekend. Will post some pictures soon.

6. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Welcome to the Fokker-gang, Richard,

It seems you´ve got a good head start then - I have to confess that my two Eindeckers have begun collecting dust. And to make my schedule even more packed with projects, I´ve also developed an interest in R/C modelling and bought myself a 1:6 scale E. III model (among three others) with a wing span of 66"!
    Still, I have often thought about taking up the fine Modele-Kartonowe builds again. However, first I must complete a test build I´m working on at the moment. Swinger/Lukasz´1:50 scale build was a great inspiration and so is your incentive.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures.
    Good luck!
    Bengt :grin:
  7. Richard

Richard Member

8. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Richard Setting The Pace . . .

Hi Richard,

I wouldn´t call you a slow builder - that´s not nearly as far as I got in about a month . . .
    It´s the same grey model version that I started to build, by the way, with the split red/white wheels. It´s beautiful, don´t you think? It has also been built as a large balsa and tissue R/C model, by model designer Peter Rake in the UK.
    I like your method of giving the bottom (and top?) parts extra tabs - I have left some material for that too.

Good work, Richard - you have shown us the way . . .
  9. Richard

Richard Member

Hi Bengt,

I added the tabs because the cardboard I used wouldn't stay straight.

There's also an additional part 2 added to the front of the fuselage because parts 11, 16 and 17 are a bit too long.

Also added an extra piece of cardboard(0.5mm) underneath part11, mainly because I use 'only' 160gr paper and without it parts 16 would be sticking out above part11. To get a flush fit I also cut out a bit of the cabin sides where part11 would meet them.

10. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Fokker E.III Details

Hi Richard,

I also use 160 g/m2 paper, to be able to roll the rounded parts smoothly and to get as invisible joints as possible. I have discovered, too, that the parts in the cockpit doesn´t have a perfect fit, which is accentuated even more in my models as I enlarged them to 1:24.
    I laminated all my formers to 0.8 mm cardboard to get the models reasonably sturdy and I cut them very precisely so that the fit together well without glue (refer to my pictures on a previous page). Btw, Ron wrote a thread a while ago when the first E.III model had been released by Modele-Kartonowe, in which Gil posted his trials and errors with the bad fit in the fuselage section: E-III
    Re. the tabs:
    I looked at the pics that I posted so long ago, on page three of this thread, and discovered that the tabs are actually there on the model - I had forgotten about it and I haven´t glanced at the models for a while even though they are still on the work bench (our living room dining table, that is). What I remembered was that I left a bit of extra material around the parts so I could make tabs (or bigger ones) when needed:
    I also like the straight angle internal supports that you made for the fuselage formers - it´s important to have straight 90 degree angles to get a fuselage that is not warped or bent.

Did you know, by the way, that there was no instrument panel of the kind supplied in this model, in the real E. IIIs? The instrumentation was very sparse, with a blank metal plate in front of the pilot.

Take care now,
  11. CharlieB

CharlieB Member

Wonder if soeone would be good enough to help me. I'm just now getting around to building one of the Fokker EIII even though I downloaded them some time ago.

Do the pieces marded with an asterisk mean that they are to laminated onto heavier stock and if so what size? I have a supply of 1mm thick stock. Is this the right size?

Thanks for your help in advance...CharlieB
  12. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Lamination of Formers

Hi Charlie,

Yes those are part that should be glued to thicker card stock - 1 mm card would give you a very sturdy and straight model, which will be easy to align and put together. A hint: use a heavy-duty, sharp, hobby knife (with snap-off blades) for this as the thick card stock requires a stronger blade to get a straight and even cut.

Good luck!
  13. Richard

Richard Member

Hi Bengt and Charlie,

I also use 1mm cardstock but found out it actually should be a bit thinner; because of this parts 12a and 12b had to be sanded down a bit otherwise part 21 wouldnt fit correctly.
    For the wings I plan to use thinner cardstock as well, perhaps 0,5mm or 0,8 but haven't come to these parts yet. More about it later.

14. CharlieB

CharlieB Member

Thanks for the advice.

Would laminating a few sheets of 100# card stock work just as well?

15. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Spinning Fokker E.III

Achtung all Fokker-builders!

Here´s a spinning Fokker E.III:
    -quite nice if you want to see it from every angle!
    Try some of your other favourite aircraft, too . .

16. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Wow that is a really cool site Bengt!
    Thanks for pointing that one out!

17. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Spinning Fokker E.III + artwork

You´re welcome, Russel,

It´s so easy to share one´s finds on the web. Take a look also at Oleg Pomoshnikov´s amazing stlls artwork - there are three stunning hi-res digital art paintings of the E.III, a bit lower down on the page, under "Higher resolution images: 1, 2, and 3".

very nice, indeed,
  18. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Fokker E.III Replica in Berlin-Gatow

Hi all Fokker-fans,

I just couldn´t resist sharing this tit-bit, too:
    It´s a link to the homepage of Wolfgang von Bredow (Berlin-Spandau), with some very fine photos from the Luftwaffenmuseum in Berlin-Gatow (one of Berlin´s old airports, not in use today). On this page is a good-looking replica of a light green Fokker E.III, with a close-up of the prop & engine (a dummy?):

Click also on the brown text in the lower righthand corner, "andere Fokker E-III", which will reveal another nice light grey replica (with ailerons!), hanging from the roof of the Sinsheim-Speyer Museum.

There are also a lot of other interesting pics at this site, for example a red-green Fokker Dr. I replica, with a very nice close-up shot of the cockpit and the two Spandau machine guns. (The text is in German, though).

Pour Le Mérite,
  19. Richard

Richard Member

20. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Original Fokker E.III in Science Museum, London

Thanks, Richard,

I hadn´t seen these pages before. I am thinking that I want to go to London some day soon to see the only original Fokker E. III, and all the other fine aeroplanes at the Science Museum, for example the only complete Levavasseur Antoinette VII (well, it lacks the right wing at the moment, but it´s much better than the battered up fuselage they have in Krákow, Poland).

This Museum alone is well worth a weekend charter flight, better still would be to combine it with The Shuttleworth Collection and one of the airshow displays (with the AVRO Triplane) in the summer . . .

best regards,