New Extention 2 My HO Layout

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Here are some update pictures of the Hoffa Cement Complex. These show the Blue Star Ready-Mix Plant added to the Hoffa Cement Main Building which is now one big building. There is still so much to do to this complex and so much painting and scratch building machinery that has to be done. Here are some progress pictures I did yesterday. (Those holes in the second pic are where pipes are going to come out and go into the first covered shed.)

Attachments

• Complex.jpg
    Complex.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 134
  • Office.jpg
    Office.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 132
  • Machinery.jpg
    Machinery.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 134
  • Roof Machinery Close.jpg
    Roof Machinery Close.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 137

Jim Krause

I was only kidding. guys. I do remember the old communities that had cement processing plants were covered in a layer of cement dust for a couple of miles around town along with an ever present cloud in the air. I wonder what the life expectancy was in those places. Most of the modern facilities have control measures in place but there are still spills around the grounds and a bit of dust here and there.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Jim Krause said:
I was only kidding. guys. I do remember the old communities that had cement processing plants were covered in a layer of cement dust for a couple of miles around town along with an ever present cloud in the air. I wonder what the life expectancy was in those places. Most of the modern facilities have control measures in place but there are still spills around the grounds and a bit of dust here and there.

by the hyrdocal anyway. its good for roads and other stuff if youhave patience or are insane like i am!

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
green_elite_cab said:
or are insane like i am!

sign1 sign1 Not insane, just brave

Thanks crabster and Jim. I think I might put a little dust around the yard but NOT coat the hole place

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Here is an update on the cement plant. I am working on adding details to make it more of a cement plant using many different pictures from cement plants.

Here is what I did today. I added stairs up to a door that I cut out into the side of the building. The decal on the door says "Danger Hrad Hat Area". I also added handrails at the bottom of the stairs. They lead to the Cadged ladder that will go up the side of the silo. From the roof of the silo, a smaller cadged ladder will go to the top roof of the building. All will be painted yellow. I added some more ductwork (red) and it comes from the wall and goes down into the loading area for the cement trucks. Also added a red pipe that came from the bottom of the silo and also goes to the loading area for cement trucks.

Attachments

• DSC02705.JPG
    DSC02705.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 89

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Here are a few of the pictures I am going off of to detail the Hoffa Cement Plant.

These pictures are from 2-8-2 and are from the thread "concrete plant" in the new trackside industries forum. I took some notes on them and wrote them on the pics.

Note, these pictures are an extremely low quality and that is why they are so bad, on my computer in photoshop, the details are a lot easyer to see and the pictures look 100x's better.

Attachments

• silo.jpg
    silo.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 89
  • overview 3.jpg
    overview 3.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 87
  • overview 2.jpg
    overview 2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 88
  • Overview.jpg
    Overview.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 89
  • office 2.jpg
    office 2.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 86

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

Attachments

• Office.jpg
    Office.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Flamable Tanks.jpg
    Flamable Tanks.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 90
  • Conveyor Loader 2.jpg
    Conveyor Loader 2.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 87
  • Conveyor Loader.jpg
    Conveyor Loader.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 87
  • conveyor housing.jpg
    conveyor housing.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 87

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

Attachments

• Bunkers.jpg
    Bunkers.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 86

doctorwayne

Not only do the pictures look good to me, but that's a very innovative way to organize the information and to lay out your plan of action. Your start on the detail work looks great, too.:thumb: :thumb:

Wayne

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Thanks

Thanks Wayne:D , Steven:D , and JAyers:D

hmmmm, a tutorial, Ill see what I can put together. Won't be till next week though. I don't have the supplies to do much more. But, I am going to my LHS tomarro and I am going to pick up some styrene and other supplies.

KATY

Crabster and any others, please check this link for some pics of what I did with the ADM elevator on my layout. Didn't have the space to add on more silos, so I bulked it up another way. Maybe the next layout I'll be able to have a long row of silos with room for a more realistic string of hoppers.

By the way, really admire all the detail you have added to the "cement plant" .:thumb:

Jack
http://www.the-gauge.com/thread17581-some-pics-of-my-layout.html

Illus

Thats looking real nice, I like the name:) Did you come up with that, or was that the name from the model company?

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Illus said:
Thats looking real nice, I like the name:) Did you come up with that, or was that the name from the model company?

Thanks Jack for that link, I enjoyed viewing the pics of that sweet grain elevator and it looks awsome.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Illus, the Hoffa Cement logo came from the decal sheet that came with the Medusa Cement Company.

Well at the hobby shop yesterday, I got tons of stuff for christmas and my grandma let me bring home the track part for an early present (she didn't feel like wrapping the flex-track so she justlet me have all the track). I layed down the roadbed and layed most of the track. The x crossing by the mainline is a 60 degree crossing to allow the mainline to serve the Magic Pan Bakeries complex. The next step as far as laying track goes is making the siding for the small warehouse at the back corner (by the silos). The switch is alreadt in place and is right after the switch that goes to the covered sheds. This is a warehouse that will have pipes running from the plant to the roof of the warehouse. This is were powdered cementis bagged and shipped out in boxcars.

Attachments

• DSC02729.JPG
    DSC02729.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC02728.JPG
    DSC02728.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC02730.JPG
    DSC02730.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC02731.JPG
    DSC02731.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 105

riverotter

Midwest Alliance Rail Sys
I don't disagree with you that some "grain elevators typically have more tracks to them. ... mainline, the loading track, and storage tracks"; I just wanted to add that in many places in Kansas, elevators like this model serve their traffic with a single long double-ended siding (like a passing track), so layout trackage could be quite simple if space is a constraint -- like on my layout ;-)

Nazgul

Josh
lookin' really great!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
I can't believe you've had any time to work on this with all the other projects you have going on (each of them are top notch!)...oh yeah.......
Josh, how do I submit a christmas list to "GRANDMA"?:D

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
riverotter said:
I don't disagree with you that some "grain elevators typically have more tracks to them. ... mainline, the loading track, and storage tracks"; I just wanted to add that in many places in Kansas, elevators like this model serve their traffic with a single long double-ended siding (like a passing track), so layout trackage could be quite simple if space is a constraint -- like on my layout ;-)

Thanks, I have 3 tracks serving this cement plant, 1 for the covered sheds, 1 for the small warehouse building, and 1 for the bulk transfer conveyor.