New England Hobby Show

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
New England's "Big 2002 Railroad Hobby Show" is this weekend at the Eastern States Expositon grounds in Springfield, MA. I've been saving and looking forward to this event for some time. I've been told this is the largest model railroad event we get in our neck of the woods, three buildings, or about 5 1/2 acres of nothing but Railroading. Glad the misses talked herself out of going along. (I be broke come Monday)

Bill :D :D :D

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Bill,
I know this is a little late but I was just cruising around The Gauge and found your post on the Springfield show.

I was just curious if you liked it or not? I've been going for about five years and think its great.It is the biggest that we get here.Theres another show at the Shriners but never been.

Believe it or not they used to cram that all into two buildings.You could hardly move.

I always bring the wife along because four eyes are better than two and shes gotten me some great deals.

Shane

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Hi Shane,

That was my first time to see that show, it was awesome and I enjoyed it tremedously. Definitely adding that show to my annual itinerary. Cannot believe they had that in just two buildings at one time, they can easily fill four buildings now. The modular club displays were fantastic and I wished I had allocated two full days to take it all in. Went to the The Housatonic Model Railway Club show today in Fairfield, CT, not too large, typical HS arena; cafeteria and gym. Sadly I learned they have lost there layout space below the Fairfield library. Very sad to see and learn that they will be tearing out that fantastic HO layout of theirs after 20 years of modeling. Almost, if not all of it, is hand laid track.

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Hi Bill,

Its always sad when some one has to take down their lay-out and not be able to save it. I'm dreading the day when I have to move mine.Hope-fully it will be complete so I can build another top that mirrors the bottom and then just put plywood sides on it. I hope this will be enough protection for storage.

Did you get to see the operating brass bridge?I forget which club has it.But the bridge was hand made.And its also over sixty years old.

Did you see me? I was the guy in the Rock Island hat/beard?You couldn't have missed me. There was over 125,000 people there so you had to of seen me.:D :D

We'll have to meet up there sometime

Shane

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
I have it easy when it comes to moving my layout! I moved it to the other side of the living room the other day. If I could safely reach across it without damaging the trees, I could have moved it all by myself! I had my wife, Kristi, help me move it to the new location. Of course, it's built on a hollow core door, which explains its portability!

In theory, if things were fastened down better, I could probably mount it in a doorway... :)

-Rory

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Mines a little bigger than a door, I'll try to give you a drawing if it dont come out to big,I didn't draw the tracks as that would take some time. so here goes.

It looks bigger than it is.It seems that I just dont have the room for what I want to do.

Shane