New Desktop Layout

jesso

Jul 21, 2006
Washington, Utah
www.thetechfamily.com
A little progress. I have put the wood paneling edge on the layout, and caulked it and drywall mudded it. I covered up the track with tape to hopefully protect it. I also roughed in where the tunnels will be. I sanded the mud and painted it honeycomb.

close.jpg

I also raised the floor inside the one loop and have started to shape mountains.

full.jpg

So far I am happy with it, will see how it goes.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Can you elaborate on the wood paneling? So far, I've used sound board for my fascias and backdrops and have found that it won't bend much tighter than about a 16" radius. Yours looks like it would handle a much tighter curve.

jesso

Jul 21, 2006
Washington, Utah
www.thetechfamily.com
I found it at Lowe's. It is basically flooring strips that are 4'x4". They are less than a dollar a piece. I guess it is linoleum made to look like hard wood flooring. If bends really nicely and cuts fairly easily once it is scored and then use a hobby knife. Also it has a sticky backing so that helps to hold it in place while getting it nailed on and glued.

panel.jpg

The nicest thing is that it is almost the exact same color as the desk that I put it on.

woodone

Feb 7, 2007
Phoenix, AZ.
Looking Good!

Scott,
That is one find looking set up. Looks like a fun project.
Keep us up to date wth more photos.
BTW what is the weather like there in St George?

jesso

Jul 21, 2006
Washington, Utah
www.thetechfamily.com
steamhead,
Ten years in now so they know that I get my work done, plus everytime an upset child is in the building they bring them in my office and they instantly quiet down and get fairly happy. Kids don't get to see trains in St. George, no tracks around here, so it is something new.

Woodone,
Hit 100 today for I think the first time (this year seems to be the coolest that I have experienced here). However, all week is supposed to be over 100.

jesso

Jul 21, 2006
Washington, Utah
www.thetechfamily.com
Thanks everyone!

I am experimenting a little here, I have never done this before, I am using strips of cardboard to form the underside of a mountain. I hope it works, anyone here done it this way. Any suggestions on doing it? I am planning on soaking small pieces of paper towels in plaster and covering up the hills. That is what I covered the outside of the hill with in the last pictures. Also, should I paint my tunnel portals before I put them on or do it when the mountains are all together. I am gluing black construction paper to the inside of the cardboard that is making the tunnels, haven't done that yet, but will sometime today. Any suggestions are appreciated.

mountainframe.jpg

redmans

Feb 2, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
The cardboard taped seems the way to go with shaping hills, that and using newspaper bunched up.

With the plaster, I was going to use that plaster cloth that you put in water then stick on the layout. Sounds nice and easy.

Not sure on some of the other things as I haven't got that far with mine.