New designer

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by STR, Jul 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STR

STR New Member

Hi everyone. I'm a long time model designer that specialized in scale skyscrapers. My work is shown below.

Patterns can be found at the location below until I launch my website later this year. I hope you enjoy them.

Also, my design methods have worked well for 3 years, but I've met my match: the Fordham spire, a 1,460 foot monster that you might have seen in the news lately. It's proposed for my hometown of Chicago, so I HAVE to make it.

But my design methods are inadequate for this one. I aim to create models that joe anyone can build so 100+ parts (which would be needed for this tower using my process) are out of the question. Anyone that can help me in that regard would have my gratitude. A program capable of unfolding a 3D model made in GMax (or similar CAD) would be great.
  2. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

Since I am no model designer ( I have enough trouble trying to put them together) this may seem like a stupid sugestion but ill put it up here anyways.
    First you look at the whole model as if it was a ships hull. You make formers for the inside that have the twist built into them, then you just apply the skin onto the formers. Hope that is understandable, if not let me know and ill try to explain it better. After that the only thing left is the spire on top and from the picture of your previous model designs it looks like you wouldn't need any suggestions on that part :wink: .
    Great looking models! It still amazes me how you guys design these things. Thanks for the link and for sharing your work.
  3. 46rob

46rob Member

Looks like a tapered drill bit to me. I suggest going down to the local hardware store and studying some large bits ( or go to a flea market and buy a few, cheap)
  4. Gil

Gil Active Member

STR Welcome aboard,

Very nice models and my regards to the designer...,

The Fordham Spire already has the nickname of the "Big Screw"..., guess the wags just couldn't help it...,

The thought occured that the external panels, if embossed across at the story level, would perform like a piece of crepe paper in a twisted garland. Not an easy task but still an intriguing possibility.

Best regards, Gil
  5. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Provided the curved panels are conical, all-be-it very tall thin cones, those external surfaces should unroll in Rhino without too much trouble. The 'flutes' might be a bit tricky though, I'll try and have a go at it tomorrow.

I spent 10 years working as an architectural modelmaker, and I can confirm that all architects who design such buildings are DESPERATELY trying to tell you something. It goes all the way back to the Pyramids, I reckon. Massive egos, combined with equally MASSIVE inferiority complexes, about something or another. Can't think what, though.

Oh, maybe I can.....

Tim P
  6. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

I thought some help was found with the Art Tower Mito but the structures are too different although both have a twist to them. Maybe you can get some kind of idea :idea: on how to tackle the problem. I wish you luck in your endeavour. It is neat that you make the skyscrapers in the same scale so a good comparison can be made between the buildings. :)
  7. SteveM

SteveM Member

I uploaded a simple design study of how I would attempt the twisty tower.

This would then be broken down into "vertical" strips that would wind around the outside of the building. Although this is modeled with triangle facets, after flattening, I would try fitting smooth curves to the vertices.

8. rickstef

rickstef Guest

9. STR

STR New Member

How exactly did you build that? I'm learning Blender (but if there's another program you'd recommend I'd be much obliged) right now, but it isn't as flexible as some other programs I use which are either too inflexible or too expensive to use.

EDIT: Nevermind I just found a program (yay!).
  10. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

No offence Rick, but Malmo is in fact in southern Sweden some 300+ miles from Stockholm and our third largest city (after Goteborg where I live). If it's a suburb it would be to Kobenhavn, the capitol of Denmark, just a bridge's length away...

11. Jimi

Jimi Member

Hi STR! welcome! (havent logged in for a very very long time) regarding the fordham spire, i believe that it wont be too easy in rhino. it's either that the glassy walls may end up with the area unrolled getting bigger or smaller or the surface might not be unrolled at all. Maybe, you should try building it floor by floor. :S
  12. STR

STR New Member

^That's acually how the building is designed, but I'm not doing a 120+ piece model, especially as this thing would only be about a foot and a half tall. There MUST be a good way to do this.
  13. SteveM

SteveM Member

14. rickstef

rickstef Guest

sorry Lief, it was late when i posted it

but the model still makes sense

15. STR

STR New Member

First, thanks to everyone whose offered help. I appreciate it.

As for the model, here's what I've got so far.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.