New Designer from California

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by ECJohnson, Jun 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ECJohnson

ECJohnson New Member

My name is Eric and I have been designing card models for myself for a couple of years and I have decided that it's time to start sharing...

For many years, I made add-on aircraft for Microsoft Flight Simulator (mainly for FS95, FS98 and FS2000). During this time, I had developed around 80 aircraft, including some that went into commercial packages. Ultimately, I got burned out on doing Flight Simulator aircraft and stopped modeling completely for a couple of years.

In 2003, I found the Fiddlersgreen website and I became intrigued with the idea of converting the surface geometery of Flight Simulator planes into a 3D model that could be delivered to any printer in the world...

I like aircraft of all kinds and I prefer 1/72 scale because: 1) It's a good scale for the polygon resolution of the Flight Simulator planes that I have made and 2) I have a limited area to display my models.

Most of my paper model designs are WWI aircraft because I like them and it also seems to be one area in paper modeling that is a little underserved. I have completed 15 paper model designs (including an F-84F, Boeing 727 and Cessna 140) and I will be posting some of them here from time to time for your enjoyment (and critic). You can find my first posted one in the Designer's Corner under the thread 'AD Scout/Sparrow'.

Have Fun!,
  2. kampfflieger

kampfflieger Member

Chief, try to send letter for Jason ( - he is distributor of card models, include digital models.

WWI birds are cool! And 1/72 is my favorite scale!
  3. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

That Cessna 140 sounds intriguing...

4. C Greg

C Greg New Member

Another vote for the Cessna 140!
  5. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Your Scout model is a great looking kit. I haven't attempted it yet, and may begin it in the near future as an internet search for aircraft such as that one and mainly from that era, got me hooked into cardmodeling.

All three of the models you mentioned are great subjects. Civilian airliners are another favorite of mine. There are very slim pickings for heavy metal haulers in the card modeling world. What livery is the 727 in?

Personally, I like the 1:100 scale and because of that, I prefer digital models. I will purchase and scan printed models to reprint at 1:100 scale, and have a stack of at least 30 models in my "Ready for the Knife" stack. However, my own designs (see the released models in my signature) are currently taking up a lot of my time. I find it challenging to design models, as I generally don't unfold 3D models...wings for me are REALLY challenging...hehe.

Anyway, welcome to the wonderful world of cardmodeling and the very satisfying world of designers.

6. 46rob

46rob Member

There's a section in the forum called "parts bin"--under it is a section for aviation and aircraft. Most folks post their downloadable designs there--so they're easy for everyone to find--even after your original post is electronic dust as it goes further and further down the queue..
  7. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Welcome ECJohnson!
    Quick question...does it still count when you welcome someone three weeks later? (Man, I need to pay better attention!) and from my Own State too!

I guess if I spent all my time here reading posts, I would never get anything done.
  8. goney3

goney3 Member

Yeah, same here ;)
  9. rickstef

rickstef Guest

You guys make it sound like that reading posts here is a bad thing?

Trying to make me feel bad?:cry: :shock:
    I have comfy couches, a fully stocked bar, nice paint on the walls, thick carpets.:p

Let me know if you need me to change anything or want me to add for your comfort

10. thewoodengraver

No no no, you misunderstood...The posts are so plentiful it would BE a full time job reading them all...I don't know how you guys do it.
    I LOVE it here, are you kidding? I hope so.
  11. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I love seeing original design work and look forward to seeing yours.
  12. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Hello Eric,

Many thanks for your design of the Sparrow, and for other models to come. Looking forward to that very much. I took the liberty of introducing you, and your work, also on the European scene, by way of See this post.

As you will notice, I took further liberties, namely to scale your design to 1:87 and rearrange the parts slightly to accomodate them on merely two pages, while at the same time being able to provide a full-scale 1:87 three-view drawing. This is for my personal use - I am collecting and scaling a number of available models of all kinds (aircraft, ships, cars, buildings) in order to find out if it is feasible to find some common scale for all these categories.

1:87 seemed a logical choice, since so many accessories (figures, buildings, other stuff) is commercially available for this HO model railway scale.

I hope this is alright with you. I have not republished your work, although I was hoping for your approval to share this rescaled and rearranged version if some other enthusiast of this idea got in touch on a private basis. If not, I will of course abstain, and take down the offer.

Best regards, Leif Ohlsson
  13. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Thank you for the Sparrow. Do you recommend 20lb. paper for the engine build?
  14. thewoodengraver

Hmmm... no replies...
    well he IS from NORTHERN California...suppose he's lost in the "giggle bush" or maybe he got munched by a Sasquatch!
  15. ECJohnson

ECJohnson New Member

Hi All,

Sorry for the lack of reply's. I've just got back from a fabulous fishing vacation in the North Central Sierra Nevada's where there was - No phone, no radio, no tv, no cell phone reception and no internet. In other words, Heaven!

--thewoodengraver & goney3--
    Thanks for the greetings!

No Giggle-Bush. See above... (Although, I admit that there was cognac, cigars and beer invovled)

I test build all my models with 60 lb stock (including engines) and it seems to build fine to me. If your actually going to build it, I would love to hear about your experiance with it...

--Leif Oh--
    I don't mind you re-scaling and re-posting it. If someone over there builds it, let me know. I'd like to know about there experiances

16. MacHine13of13

MacHine13of13 Member

For my two Abe Lincolns, "Welcome Aboard!" and don't frit, these here folks, even like us ol' country-fied Floridians, as you can tell from their teasings.

As you know, free advice is worth what you pay for it... So, putting up with their antics is a form of paying for it and I, for one have already reaped a fortune: These people are good folk!

Again, welcome, Eric.

17. ECJohnson

ECJohnson New Member

I've added another model, a 1/72 scale Cessna 140 to the Parts Bin
  18. thewoodengraver

Hi Eric,
    Do you apply some sort of Stealth or Nitris Oxide to your posts or something, geez, slipped right by me again.
    Anyway, welcome back from Heaven! I would say I'm jealous but I live in
    Paradise (at least-for us). Thanx for the model, seeyah around.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.