new design help

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Nothing, Sep 30, 2008.

next design project?

Poll closed Oct 20, 2008.
  1. HE-51 preWWII or Spanish civil war

15 vote(s)
  2. DH-100 Vampire 1950's British jet

17 vote(s)
  3. M-51 super Sherman IDF Yom Kippor war

11 vote(s)
  1. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

had a couple of ideas spark my interest, but cant decide so i thought i would see what yall would like to see.
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I dont suppose you would consider something not military? :D Just a thought ;)
  3. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

what do you have in mind? all suggestion welcome:)
  4. JT Fox

JT Fox Member

Hi nothing.

I voted Sherman.

Cheers JTF
  5. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

If it's non-military, what about something elegant like a steam farm tractor? That would be an involved design, but I cannot recall seeing one in paper. In fact, you could coordinate with CGutzmer and sell the kit via download on Ecardmodels.

Sign me up. I have seen your designs Nothing, so I am ready to buy! In fact, I know where there is one. I could do some measurements and detail photos for you.
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I thought there was one out there, a fordson if I recall. I will have to check my archives :)

I would like to see some classic muscle cars, some civilian type ships or boats, older farm equipment as cdavenport suggests would be cool. Also some offroad type vehicles might be interesting as well :D
  7. sr5nm

sr5nm Member

I think that cdavenport is talking older than the Fordson. My guess is that he means a traction engine like the "Showman's Engine" that used to be in print.
  8. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

SR5NM is correct. A Fordson is not a steam traction engine. The variety of traction engines is expansive, much like steam locomotives were in their heyday. Steam traction engines are magnificently elegant testaments to man's ingenuity.

AND, if there was only one done in paper, it seems to me that there should me more! More importantly, steam engines were manufactured from cast and rolled plate iron, which lends itself to a more accurate interpretation in paper than a modern pressed steel automobile.

I was captain of the debate team. Surrender or die!
  9. Gixergs

Gixergs Well-Known Member

I would love to see a traction engine or Steam Roller as they are another neglected part of my local history,they used to build them just behind my house also the Short Bros flying boats and Stirling bombers were made here too so it would be nice to see a model with a local link.
  10. David H

David H Member

I'd go with this too!

Agricultural equipment in general is underrepresented.

I have been watching the combine harvesters over this late harvest just gone and thinking how cool a model one would be.

With the late harvest we have seen a lot of older machines out in the fields work all hours and the variety of colours, shapes and sizes has been greater than usual.

I guess I may have to get off my backside and have a go at designing something...

11. oklacnw

oklacnw Guest

Hey, I like that idea of a steam tractor. How about one of those used in the North Woods in winter, those with skis on the front with a person sitting up there to steer it?
  12. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

if you guys can post a picture of what you are talking about would be great. as for me im not really familiar with steam tractors.
  13. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Nothing, I admire your texture mapping skill in MetaSeq...For me, I would like to see Vampire from your desk.
  14. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

thank you NOBI. i consider that high praise from a veteran!so far it looks like the vampire has maintained the lead.
  15. Fred Bultman

Fred Bultman Member

I vote for the steam traction engine. Documentation should not be hard to find.
  16. oklacnw

oklacnw Guest

Know I have pic of a steam tractor somewhere, will find and post.
  17. julescrafter

julescrafter Member

I vote for Sherman.. but steam tractor is even more interesting :)
  18. rman

rman New Member

19. oklacnw

oklacnw Guest

Have yet to find photo of the North Woods engine with skis on front, still looking. Here is a book that has many old photos & drawings/diagrams of steam tractors: Floyd Clymer's Album of Historical Steam Traction Engines and Threshing Equipment No. 1. Bonanza Books, New York. Has 470 photos, drawings, charts, 105 different makes, American & Foreign Engines from 1855 to 1929.
    There is/was an engine equiped with the skis in a museum in Maine (Augusta?)