New Design Contest

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by RyanShort1, Mar 6, 2008.

1. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

2. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

By the way, anyone down San Antonio, TX way on May 10th is invited to this:

3. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

...Well I'm not too fond of recon aircrafts, but wish the competition goes smoothly ^^
  4. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Ok, just a bump - hopefully an inspirational one. One of the things we hope to do at the Grasshopper Gathering this year is to show a new film that's in pre-release form right now that tells the story of these aircraft. Thought I'd show you a screenshot that just might hopefully give someone the inspiration to try and design a Stinson L-5.

That would be General Patton talking with commanders just before boarding his L-5 to hop to the next point.

5. bclemens

bclemens Member

Ex L-5 Pilot

Hopefully not too off topic- Ryan, I have quite a few hours logged in an L-5. Through the 70s I volunteered at the Planes of Fame Air Museum at Chino, CA airport. I, and a couple other people, worked hard to get the museum's L-5 flying. I was privileged to fly it at local air shows and events for a couple years. The model we had was a "litter carrier" so the whole right side opened up so a stretcher could be put into it.

Remember the old TV show "Black Sheep Squadron"? "My" L-5 was used several times when they needed shots of the General arriving on the island.

I have lots of reminiscences about flying it. Half-flaps, drooped ailerons, taking off into a 40 MPH headwind at Mojave, and climbing out while going backwards is just one.
    That was a sweet bird. I wish my design skills were up to the task for this contest!