New Decoder issues

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.
I went to LHS tonight and got two Digitrax 9 pin no solder decoders for Athearn locos. they are different models, cant remember off the top of my head, but on was $25 and one $35.

I tried to run them together but they start and run at different speeds. They both start at fairly quick speeds, no slow start outs. I have a Bachman EZ command DCC system and have locos with Bachman decoders, no problems, even pretty good at slow speeds. Is there a way to program them or something to match speeds, or slower start speeds?

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.
Let me give some better info now.

One Loco has a DH123AT; this one starts at a higher rate od speed and conroller speed dial needs to turn alot for it to respond. once it gets up to speed it has power and likes to show it. Is there a way to program it for slower start speeds?

The other is a DH163AT; this one starts at a fairly slow speed (could be slower) and gets up to speed fast, but when it gets to a certain speed it stats to make a sound that I can only compare to what I think a dying cat wouls sound like. Any idea what causes this.

I purchesd them both so I could run the two locos in a consist, but the large speed variations wont allow this, any Suggestions?

PLEASE HELP:sad:

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.
Yes, both are Athearn RTR SD45t-2's
The screaching sound from the one which is new and never before ran could be a loco problem. The other has ran before on my old DC layout.

rogerw

Jun 16, 2006
manhattan ks
I would think that if the locos are the same make and model that they would be very close in operating. Maybe you do have a issue with the one loco making the noise. I know you can adjust the start speed through the cv settings but do you want to adjust all the locos to start at a slower speed if only one loco has a problem

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.

Is it possible to only change this on the two locos, they are pretty much the only ones I will run so I can do the others later. This are the only decoders I have ever installed and still dont get the whole CV thing, how might I go about changing them? I am know close to nothing about DCC and these locos will almost always be MU'd, still worth it?​

rogerw

Jun 16, 2006
manhattan ks
keven I dont know enough about dcc programing and digitrax to help you much further. I see from the digitrax web site the 123 is a basic decoder and the 163 is a series 3 decoder. not sure if the differance could cause problems are not . Have you checked out the digitrax yahoo group to get help there?
here is the link
Yahoo! Groups : Search Results

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Kevin...I don't know much about the B'mann EZ command, but I believe it cannot program CV's. Do you still have the B'mann manual..?? Check it out to see if it addresses this problem. If not, try the B'mann forum...
Bachmann Message Board - Index
There are several very knowledgeable people there who I'm sure can help you out.

PWRR-2207

Rogue Islander
Oct 3, 2007
Rhode Island, USA
Bachmann EZ Command

I just checked FAQ's for the Bachmann EZ Command and it cannot program decoders (Fitting EZ Command® to your System/DCC FAQ's). Do you have another DCC stand-alone product that can program/check the decoders?

I ask because the DH-123AT and DH-163AT Digitrax decoders have "Switching speed" and three ways of doing a MU (with "UniVersal Consisting" being the recommended mode)... Add to that - the DH- 163AT has a "Scaleable Speed Stabilization" option that is enabled by default (CV57 set to 06) and is why you see the start up speed difference. You may be better off putting the DH-123AT (or the DH-163AT) in another unit and getting a matching decoder model for the two engines...

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.
I have a hobby shop nearby that can do it for me, but do they tottally have to reproram everything, or just speed? What is the "speed stabilization"? old timers at hobby shop use DC and do not know (I think they need some younger help:mrgreen:), but they said it sound cool.

Harold Cole

Feb 15, 2006
Clayton Delaware
Kevin,Start with cv02 and make it 00 CV02 accleration start with 00,CV03 decelaration start with 00,get one engine the way you want it and go to the next one.Write all the cv values down and keep them some where for future referance.Also need to know what DCC unit you are using. Harold Cole

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.
Harold, I am using a Bachman DCC system and have told that it cannot do it. All of the CV stuff is too confusing for me anyhow. So I think I will buy a matching decoder for one loco in the future. But for now I can get one loco up to speed and put the other in reverse and match the speed for a loco consist. But I do like the way they work seperately. I do think one of the locos has a problem though, once it reaches a certian speed it makes a horrible screeching noise.