New DCC User: Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'DCC & Electronics' started by Kimble, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Kimble

Kimble New Member

I just bought my (first) DCC system, the Set-90. My track is half laid and to test it out, I connected the two power bus wires via alligator clips to an open end of rail.

My son's Thomas DC locomotive ran well at address zero. I now know what people mean by "singing."

When I placed my Bachmann 2-8-0 locomotive on, it sang as well. I know it has a decoder; I opened the tender and saw it myself. It also has two plugs from the engine to the tender which I made sure were secure. The engine's road number is 2360 and I entered that address.

Nothing happened. The engine would only run on address zero.

Any thoughts?

Rob Carignan
    Portland, Maine
  2. Thoroughbreed

Thoroughbreed Member

Most decoders are set at address 3 when they released from the factory. Can you "read" from the decoder? I'm not sure how the Lenz system works, but there should be an option to read decoders data to verify that it is functioning.:thumb:
  3. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

Could it be that the circuit bord that runs your train is in the tender? I noticed that my newer trains loco's come w/ cicuit boards even though they are dc only. Are you triple sure it has a dcc decoder in it? OOOO just thought of something else, some decoders have a jumper to make them run in either dc or dcc mode is yours a jumper model?

4. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

If your Bachmann (Spectrum?) 2-8-0 is new and straight out of the box, it does not have a decoder, although there is a circuit board in there that looks kinda like one. I have never seen (heard :)) a decoder equipped loco "sing". The DC/DCC switch should be seamless, and not require a hardware change to work - at least not once it is set up properly. The decoder should auto-detect. And since it will only run on "zero", I am even more sure there is no decoder there.

Did you install one, or have one installed?

However, if I happen to be wrong - it could be that the decoder is there, and is not seated properly. Unplug it and try again. If you need to, reset it according to the decoder instructions.

Hope that helps, and you get out of trouble(shooting) mode soon!

Welcome to The Gauge!

5. Kimble

Kimble New Member

I'm all set. The locomotive was DCC ready. I went to my LHS today and bought an NCE D13SRP decoder. There is no singing and it works like a charm.
  6. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery