New 'Cutty Sark' Model from Canon

Bengt F

Nov 26, 2005
Ahoy all ye sea dogs!

Canon Papercraft has released a fine little model of the most famous British sailing ship - The Cutty Sark. It is an elegant and straightforward model, with all the sails in place: http://cp.c-ij.com/en/contents/2027/cuttysark/index.html

Skimming through the instructions, it seams relatively easy to build. Perhaps it could even be down-sized for a minature bottle/flask ship model?

Best,
Bengt :thumb:

B

Bionic Modeler

Years ago I used to put ships and other things in gallon jugs and other bottles. A trick I used was to use a glass cutter and mount it on a pices of wood so it was about 2" off the table. Then set the bottle on it's bottom and turn it firmly against the glass cutter to score it. Take a large bolt and attach it to a wire coat hangar and insert inside the bottle. then tap the bolt against the score line from inside while turning the bottle. it will eventually drop off. then insert the model however you want to display it and then use hot glue to re-attach the bottom. Then cover the seam with a piece of rope which looks like it was meant to be there. People will never notice that you actually cut the bottom off and re-attached it. If I can manage the time I will demonstrate it with this model as Bengt suggested. By the way Bengt where is the model you built with the Red River paper I sent you?

Bengt F

Nov 26, 2005
Bottle Ship Models

Ha!

That´s a very clever way of doing a bottle ship model!
Without having to bend and fold all the masts and sails and raising them again with a thread once the ship is glued in place inside the bottle.

I would really love to see The Cutty Sark inside a flask or bottle - I think it would lend itself very well to down-scaling, given the pretty straightforward design of the model.

Red River Metallic paper:
I am about half way into building Carl Hewlett´s Mercury-Atlas 1:32 scale launcher model, with the Mercury 'Sigma 7' capsule, but a new job has taken all my time at the moment. The Red River metallic paper has proven to work very well in my EPSON pigmented ink printers, contrary to Red Rivers factory recommendations. This paper meduim is also very effective indeed when modeling the metallic Atlas launcher.
It is now situated somewhere in the middle of the 'To-do' stack of card models . . .

All the best from Stockholm,
Bengt :thumb:

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
Wishing...

I hate that the Cutty always gets designed when the Phantom was such a more historic and successful ship. Don't get me wrong, glad Canon made the contribution, but whether it be plastic, wood and now paper, the Cutty is always available where the fastest ship of the time has never been made!

That's history for you!

The DC

Art Decko

Oct 26, 2006
Shanghai, P.R.C.
Yep, and most 'real' bottle-ship builders consider it a cardinal sin. Good thing the world is full of sinners then, right? :twisted:

The serious bottle-ship modeler first builds the ship proper, none of that sneaky tilting-mast business. Then he melts some glass in his backyard smelter, and blows the glass bottle around the ship.

;-)

B

Bionic Modeler

The serious bottle-ship modeler first builds the ship proper, none of that sneaky tilting-mast business. Then he melts some glass in his backyard smelter, and blows the glass bottle around the ship.

;-)

OK I know a little about glass blowing and I never heard of this?. Since the glass is one seamless bubble how do they blow the glass around it? That would be like blowing up a balloon, and while the stem is in your mouth somehow getting the ship inside without popping it. Please explain.

Art Decko

Oct 26, 2006
Shanghai, P.R.C.
OK I know a little about glass blowing and I never heard of this?. Since the glass is one seamless bubble how do they blow the glass around it? That would be like blowing up a balloon, and while the stem is in your mouth somehow getting the ship inside without popping it. Please explain.

Sorry Tim, I forgot to mention the trickiest part - you have to start with the ship in your mouth.

;) ;) ;) ;)

sjsquirrel

Feb 9, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
stevebondy.ca
A Challenge?

Perhaps you could make that one of your goals - to design the Phantom.

SJ

I hate that the Cutty always gets designed when the Phantom was such a more historic and successful ship. Don't get me wrong, glad Canon made the contribution, but whether it be plastic, wood and now paper, the Cutty is always available where the fastest ship of the time has never been made!

That's history for you!

The DC

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
You bet'cha!

I wish I could. Unfortunately I have to save for a MAC first.:cry:

I am spending too much money and way too much time trying to keep my PC from crashing or slowing down too much. wall1 I am so done with this once proud and now badly corrupted platform.

I started with PCs, moved to Macs during college & paralleled the two until recent. My last computer purchase was a new Dell. It will be my last PC purchase.

Opening email is so much a chore, I wouldn't even consider attempting to layout the resources and time to try designing.

But I want to.

I'll just have to wait until I have "the right tool for the right job!"

The DC