New Competition Time!

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by wunwinglow, Jul 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Picture of NOBIs freebie built up, best build quality, wins a really neat School Geometry Set!

Closing date is July 31st, so download, get building and take a pic. Only one pic per entry please, and if anyone needs help uploading or linking to a picture file, just ask.

Tim P

PS I only have the one set available, so no split decisions this time!!
  2. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi Tim,

Can i participate this competition? :D
  3. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Hi NOBI! Trust you to ask a question like that!! :roll:

Tim P
  4. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

If you want to enter the Yak 17 competition, just post a message in this thread, with a note or link to your album page, or a url if you are hosting the picture somewhere else. Just so the judges don't miss some!

Thanks, and good luck!

Tim P
  5. hwashing

hwashing New Member

Hi NOBI,
    Thank you for your nice model.

Hi Tim,
    Thank you for reminding me to participate the competition.

Here below is the pic.

6. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Two weeks left, you lot! And with only one entry, unless someone else pitches in, hwashing is going to walk this competition! Mind you, he has set the bar WAY high, so do your best!

Tim P
  7. ShaunGamer

ShaunGamer Member

Thanks Nobi for an excellent model.
    I have never built a model of this style with the formers and sections before. I have to admit it was a learning experience, that was made a lot more enjoyable by the easy way the model goes together.

I will feel a lot happier now building your XP-56 "Black Bullet".

8. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Thanks ShaunGamer for your entry in the competition! Any more out there? Down to the last week, you guys!!

Tim P
  9. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi There,

Brent just add a finish YAK-17 at album (, im not sure he will participate this competition or not but his assemble is very cool.

Please, i need some comment from all people who assemble my YAK-17, that will be a guide to improve my next design...thank you very much in advance
  10. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Thanks NOBI for letting me know about that one!

Guys, three entries is a bit disappointing! There have been hundreds of downloads of NOBIs model, but so far hardly any competition entries!

If there are more entries on the way, fine, otherwise I will have to consider extending the deadline! NOBI really would like some feedback on his kit, and the competition was designed to encourage that.

So come on, put your ships and robots aside for an evening or two and give that Yak a try! Remember, there is a fantastic School Geometry Set prize at stake here!

Tim P
  11. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi all

When Nobi generously gave this model for a free download like all of us I hit the down load button as soon as I could. I had no sooner done this than my 8 year old son standing behind me proclaimed "is that for me dad" with a big grin on his face.
    So my son and I set to building it straight away, half way through the build the question was asked "does it fly". I can say it got well tested by my son to the point of destruction. He even left the canopy of so as to place weights on to see what effect this would have.

During the build the only thing I helped with was the cutting. The gluing and build he did on his own. In the instructions the only thing he could not work out was the position of the wing spa. Although I think Nobi solved this in another section on the site. Three others have been built since this first test session. All fly very well :D

The whole point of this post is as Tim said, if you have built it show us all the results and if not why not. No matter what type of models you build this is well worth the effort to do. The design is so good it prompted my to buy another three models of Nobi's site and I'am not realy in to planes (I like the wet stuff). It does not take long to do and I think more than worth the little bit of time spent on it.

So come on guy's and girls show us your stuff

And there is the prize offered for the best build!!!

12. Square

Square Member

The reason I havn't shown my builds is simple ... don't have access to a camera nor own one right now ... will later this year ... am saving to get a Nikon with a macro lense ... got rid of my Sony at the beginning of the year never did care for it ... it did allright but that was all it did .... allright
  13. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

OK, three entries isn't really enough for a meaningful competition, but thanks to you 'Heros of Paper' who have entered so far. I have decided to extend the closing date by ONE MONTH, to give your fellow 'tardy cardies' time to catch up!

So, new closing date, 31st August, and absolutely NO excuses this time! Remember, NOBI put a lot of effort into this design, for FREE, the least we can do is make up a few examples in return. Not to mention the VAST expense on the wonderous prize being offered! By ME!!!

Tim P
  14. Brent

Brent New Member

Nobi, thanks for the plane, the fit was excellent. I do have a question for you. I have some old plastic 1/48 scale planes that I have built and this plane seems so small compared to them. Just wanted to confirm the size.

Also, I don't know how to post a picture with my message, so if someone could help me with that?

15. tino

tino Member

Hi Brent,
    To post a picture you should clic in buton that say preview in the reply place.
    Then you need to ad atachment and look for the file to be atached and submit.
    The picture or file can only have 45kb of maximum size (I think that I am not wrong)
  16. DeWayne

DeWayne Member

Hey, Brent... Plastic swells with age. Soaks up the stray carbon-fibers floating around from all these stealth planes zipping through the air.

17. Texman

Texman Guest

hee hee haw haahha heheheee HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAH!

18. charliec

charliec Active Member

The Yak-17 really was a small aircraft. Pulling out some sizes for aircraft of the period.

Yak-17 - wingspan 9.2m, length - 7.26m
    Spitfire IX - wingspan 11.2m length - 9.55m
    He162 - wingspan 8.7m length - 9.27m

So the Yak was roughly 80% of the size of a Spitfire and roughly the
    same size as an He162.

19. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Ok , clearly some extreme brinkmanship going on here, with hundreds of you lot holding back to make your Yak entries in the closing seconds of the competition! Well, just remember, you have only 'til the 31st August (that is next Tuesday) to make those tiny finishing touches and get your entry posted.

If anyone HAS added an entry and not mentioned it here, could you just post a note, or a link, to the relavent album or URL? Thanks!

Tim P
  20. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Help! There is a Fish In the ring! Or is it a Hat? Or a Yak?

I put some pix of my 1/72 version of Nobi's Yak (with Cockpit, canopy and wheel wells) up in my album. My second card model: learned much: THANKS, NOBI!!
    Jimmy the Fish
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.