New Cardmodeling Forum in Progress

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Gil, May 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gil

Gil Active Member

A new cardmodeling site is under development and oriented toward World War I and Golden Age aircraft. Stretching into World War II is under discussion but currently remains a future expansion option of the site. Membership will be by invitation only to aid in maintaining a focus on modeling.

Stay tuned for further information...,

Best regards, -Gil
  2. cardmodeler

cardmodeler Member

Interesting....I love the Golden Age! WWI not so much, too many wings to build!:wink:
  3. 72BMWR75/5

72BMWR75/5 Member

I like WWI and WWII planes.
  4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Sounds awesome! Hope I manage an invite :)
  5. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

I won't belong to any organization that would have me as a member.

6. Darwin

Darwin Member

Just as a point of curiosity....what is the point of the announcement if it is intended as a private club?
  7. Gil

Gil Active Member

Good Points...,

Suspicious of the intent already..., now that's interesting! It's pretty much intended as a retreat for those who are intensely interested in this era of aviation. We debated about making it an open forum but decided that the protection from spam and incessant hacking by being private was a fairly invaluable aid in maintaining the site. The goal is a site where cardmodeling afficionados of this era can enjoy the commarderie of others in this very special era of aeronautics.

8. SteveM

SteveM Member

Gil, regardless of the intent behind forming the group itself, the issue is about the intent of the public announcement that an "invitation only" group is being formed. The people who do not receive invitations now know they have not been invited. I mean, would you announce at work that you will be having an invitation only party this weekend, and then only invite a few people? Just doesn't seem like the polite thing to do.

I am not accusing, just saying how it could be interpreted.
  9. Gil

Gil Active Member

Being Polite?

Being Polite? Yes you're right, it probably is not politically correct, but that is not what is being announced, only an interpretation of it. Sorry you took it that way but in a way you're absolutely right, some will not be invited. In some respects it puts the membership here on notice that the new site will be exclusive in both its focus and membership and is aware of those who are making real contributions to the art. Democratic? Yes and no, the founders of the site and the people that are on notice for membership will make up the Board of Directors which will present new prospects for membership upon which the Board will vote. So it's different than the general free for all and will require a higher level of decorum than is usually acceptable. It is not intended as an exclusive club for a select few, it is intended as a comfortable club for those who have shown a continued enthusiasm for cardmodels and would like to join a group of people that share similar feelings within the genre.

Best regards,

10. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Gil, will the site be viewable by the public? I haven't built all that may aircraft compared to others , and only a few from the genre your new site is intended to cover (although I'm putting the finishing touches to a Nieuport 17 from FG which I hope to post soon), but I do love to see the earlier planes built in card and would love to see what others are building of this type.

11. -Jim G

-Jim G Member

golden age lurker

Gil, I too hope that the site will be viewable by non-members. I love looking at and reading about the WWI and golden age flyers.

Similarly, I love looking at the ship models, but I am unlikely to build a ship.

So, I respectfully request "LURKER STATUS".

-Jim G
  12. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

Gil ....

Great idea... good luck with it.
  13. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

WW I and Golden Era Airplane Card Modeling Forum

This is just up my alley - pioneering aeroplanes from 1903-1912 (I am of course thinking of the Blériot XI, the Gastambide-Levavasseur Antoinette, the Hanriots, the Blackburn monoplane, etc), WW I planes (so many) and the beautiful big-wing monoplanes planes of the late 20s, like the Fokker F.VII-3M or T2 and the Ford Tri-motor, or the sleek and streamlined Art Deco planes of the beginning of the 30s.
    Sounds a bit like Tom Polapink´s WW I Aero and his R/C forum, too.

I´m in, if that is possible (if they´d have me as a member . . .)
    Bengt :D
  14. Kaz

Kaz Member

Publicly announcing a private club?? where's the logic in that? How about a sanctioned club, where you can ask to join, but not necessarily get in?
    At least that way you know your not wanted, rather than forgotten about?
  15. sixtieschild

sixtieschild Pirate Enabler, Banned For Life

I have to agree. I'm new here, and have apparently walked into one of the "darker times" of this forum. I'm trying to reserve judgment, but posting something like this is one more instance of thumbing your nose at everyone else, pretending to be "elite" and simply irritating or pissing people off -- fanning the smoldering flames as it were.

If it's going to be _PRIVATE_ why post publicly?? Just invite the people you want in, and leave it at that.

It's really that stupidly, absurdly, and HONESTLY simple.

Posts like this only foster the negative feelings already running rampant. And I don't give two shakes about plane or war modeling. I wanted the hako clones, and similar models. And, was very, very upset to learn they were removed and left for "empty" download INTENTIONALLY and all because someone apparently posted them to a site with a turn over rate of about 24 hours.

Will you all simply stop this and look at what it's doing to all of us who simply want to find the models that are posted, are listed as "WONDERFUL" on all the various link sites and blogs, but are _GONE_ because someone threw a hissy fit that someone else would DARE use a model in a way they didn't want.

Like this "private" forum (which is now PUBLIC) post.

I have 3 kids of my own, I don't want to join a group where I have to be in "mother" mode all the time.

[still reserving judgment, but starting to come to a decision rapidly]
    [still trying to find someone who has the hako clones not cryptic taunts]
  16. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

I'm going to have to side with the grumblers on this one, Gil. You've covered my area of interest perfectly and I understand the motivation behind an invitation-only policy, but this sounds like an Old Boys' Club. The value of an internet Forum is the ability to share with and learn from people we'd otherwise never come in contact with, and the cost of maintaining one is cleaning up SPAM and putting out occasional (and hopefully only occasional) fires. If you ask me, restricting participation to a select few who are reviewed and approved is against the principle of it all. Frankly, it comes off as downright snobby, however noble your intentions. Clean-up and firefighting are what Moderators were created for. A well-organized and well-staffed Forum can and will flourish despite the inevitable "distractions." One with a locked door and a secret handshake will be awfully short on potential and will rarely offer any surprises.

I think it'd be neat to have a group focused on early aviation cardmodelling, but I can't support the idea of a Country Club Forum.

17. tf34mech

tf34mech Member

They just want a forum where everyone participates and does not lurk.
    A lot of forums require you to post a certain number of times before
    they open up other and better areas of the forum to you. The only
    difference is that the these forums are seperate. Good luck Gil and maybe
    we will see some stuff from there get reposted here.
  18. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

After the going-ons in this forum, I can see perfectly why the forum Gil is working on will be set up the way it is.

I can also see that Gil basically announced it in a way which sounds rather more restrictive than it actually might be.

Before we go condemning the messenger, let's see how it will actually work out...okay?

By the way Gil...a Californian who isn't Politically Correct? Next thing ya know you'll be moving to Oregon to spread your vicious ways 8v)
  19. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

I don't know, I don't read Gil's few lines about the new site to be as dark as some are reading into it.

First, I rather doubt Gil, who I've come to know over the years from his postings on this forum, is thumbing any nose to anyone. I didn't get that feeling from his posts, and his subsequent explanations confirm my understanding.

Second, maybe his announcement is to elicit those who are interested in such a new site to state their interest. I can understand his desire to avoid spammers and others who really aren't interested in modeling but have some other motive in joining a site. I've seen too many websites that become inundated with spammers and others who feel compelled to post unwanted advertisements to a site which are totally inappropriate to the purpose of the forum. I have seen too many "discussions" develop to a heated personel level which has nothing to do with the enjoyment of our hobby. Not sure what is the best filtering to avoid that, or if there is any way to fully avoid that, but I suppose invitation is one way.

However, perhaps it's not the best way to encouraging many diverse contributors to a new site...frankly, I don't know what is, perhaps it would be better to have prospective members wait for approval from the forum admins before fully activating membership...that would avoid a fully locked door, give prospective members a glipse of what the new site is all about and encourage new comers to the site to request membership. Many forums I belong to operate that way and it seems to avoid the pervasive spamming population to a large extent while leaving the door open a crack for all others to take a look and see if they want to be considered for membership.

Any site that encourages paper modeling and offers others a chance to develop the hobby we all love is fine with me. Personally, I would have prefered that a new section be created on this forum for this genre, and see how it goes before deciding on creating a new webpage, but I do recognize and respect Gil's desire to start up a new site and look forward to further news once it's underway; I imagine we will be able visit the public sectors, as many other sites do, to see what it's all about and hopefully have a way to request full membership if we like what we see.

20. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

As far as I'm concerned, any group that will only allow my input and participation after they've decided by a vote that I've "shown a continued enthusiasm" and am "making real contributions to the art" can stuff it. Handing down judgements on who's Good Enough and who isn't is surely no way to encourage interest in the hobby and the subject matter.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.