New business district...

Art67

Apr 18, 2005
Baltimore
Thought some of you might like to see the business district that will be a transition area to the wharves proper. There will not be too much in the way of switching, but the ornate iron front buildings should provide some nice contrast and help to smooth the transition from scene to scene. These buildings were kitbashed from various DPM kits as well as some City Classic wall sections I had laying around. There is still a few more buildings on the workbench and will be added shortly. I hope these will aid in the segueing of the heavy industry to the cobblestone streets near the wharves that are to be added.

Attachments

• 851.jpg
    851.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 853.jpg
    853.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 171
  • 867.jpg
    867.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 167
  • 869.jpg
    869.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 167
  • 874.jpg
    874.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 167

Art67

Apr 18, 2005
Baltimore
I couldn't resist using the trusty old docksider to deliver some idler cars to switch out the car floats of the various piers. I have really tried to use industries and scenery to allow me to backdate my layout at will by simply switching out the rollingstock and various vehicles scattered about the layout.

Stuart

Attachments

• 876.jpg
    876.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 163
  • 875.jpg
    875.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 163
  • 859.jpg
    859.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 162
  • 857.jpg
    857.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 165
L

lester perry

Looks good to me. City scene is one thing I would love to have . Maybe sometime in the future.
Les

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
What I suspect is that Stuart has his pics linked and his photo server is down. That happens occasionally. The best bet is to upload pics to the Gauge, then they're not dependent on another server for access.

Art67

Apr 18, 2005
Baltimore
Are the pictures not showing up? I uploaded them directly to The Gauge directly. They are not from anoher host site. Is anyone else having troubles seeing the pictures? Dern it...these were some of my favorite pics yet

L

lester perry

I am getting the pics OK. But have a queation . How do I load the pics directly to the Guage?
Les

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
lester perry said:
I am getting the pics OK. But have a queation . How do I load the pics directly to the Guage?
Les
Can you see the pics in this thread? It appears that any pic that has been uploaded cannot be accessed right now. If someone can see them, it may be as Andrew says, in that person's cache.

There is a thread in the photo forum (click here) that gives you a step-by-step, but don't try it now, because they won't appear until we fix the problem we're having right now.

CalFlash

Oct 31, 2004
central Florida
I hate to sound critical but shouldn't we be looking at the backs of the buildings along the tracks? This is a common error I've seen often in such scenes.

Art67

Apr 18, 2005
Baltimore
Calflash brings up a good point. I should have pointed out that the buildings are actually going to have street trackage in front of the buildings. This was a common prototype practice in Baltimore in the area I am trying to replicate- Guilford Ave, Pratt street {near todays inner harbor}, Key Hwy, Fells Point, just to name a few places where those type of buildings are to be found with fronts of buildings facing the tracks in somewhat cramped conditions. In my haste to photograph them, I plopped them down on the layout just to snap a few pictures as I am in the process of laying the street trackage witch is just out of sight of the pictures taking, but will still have the feel of those shots. In any case, point well taken. Good to see some of the members on their toes this morning.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Fronts or backs, the feel is still "right", and street trackage is always interesting. I think that the fact that you haven't skimped on the buildings adds to the effect, too. And while those Docksiders are on layouts all over the model railroading world, weren't the prototypes originally designed for switching the Pratt St. industrial area? Yours looks right at home.

Wayne

Art67

Apr 18, 2005
Baltimore
Thanks for everyones input, I am looking forward to actually planting these buildings which will expand my small switching layout by four feet. Wayne, you are correct about the docksider, they plied their trade along the cramped street trackage around Pratt Street. There is actually a great old photo of a Docksider switching the News American building at night and is one of my all time railroad photos. I will have to see if I can't locate that. Thanks for everyones input.

Stuart