New buildings on the layout.

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I just finished two building on the layout.
The First is a woodland scenics Branchline Water tower

2008_03150014.jpg

It's a nice kit. almost all white metal castings except for the tank tube which is really thin basswood. You have to soak the wood in some hot water and wrap it around a broom handle overnight to get the curve. I put it up in my narrow guage logging area since its too small for a larger steam engine.

2008_03150015.jpg

The other building is the Doctors office from the Woodland Scenics DR office and shoe repair kit.
2008_03150017.jpg

Again except for the side walls they are all whit metal castings. It takes a bit of patience to paint these since all details are cast into the front and rear walls. The building was sprayed with wite and then brush painted the Colonial Blue acyrilic from the craft store.

N

nachoman

They look good. I am thinking of building the "flag depot" and "roky's tavern". Those WS kits all look like a lot of fun and build up into some nice small structures. I just wish they were plastic rather than white metal, because I find plastic easier to work with and kit bash.

Kevin

ed acosta

Aug 4, 2005
Washington-British Columbia
Glen,
You've done a beautiful job. I built a few of these Woodland Scenics around 30 years ago and they look great today, so I can tell you that they have passed the test of time. I enjoyed the detail on the block ice depot, Rocky's Tavern, and the machine shop, and the pharmacy came out pretty good too.

It has been a long winter here in B.C., eh?
-Ed

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Thanks everyone. Here's the other end of the street:
2008_03150034.jpg

The Shoe repair is there and the shell of the building is the machine shop that you mentioned Ed. I've only airbrushed it rust so I can brsh paint over and leave little 'rust-spots in place.

2008_03080016.jpg

Kevin, I have already built the Flag depot kit as you ca see. It's a really nice kit and perfect for my small town setting. I have several other Woodland scenics kits like the tie and plank mill and part of the caboose coal set.

N

nachoman

Glen, your layout is looking quite nice. Did that depot come with that extra platform? I plan on using the same depot in a very similar situation as you. What is the spacing between the tracks on the above photo?

Kevin

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Kevin, I built the station about 15 years ago and if my memory serves me right there was enough material in the kit to make the second platform. The space between the two tracks is 3" and the widest part of the building (the roof) is 2". Here's a different angle for you:

2008_03170013.jpg

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Nice structures! I really like the station. Your fifth photo reminds me of the St. Valentine's Day Massacre though with all those little folks lying flat on the control panel! :)
Ralph

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
Nice structures! I really like the station. Your fifth photo reminds me of the St. Valentine's Day Massacre though with all those little folks lying flat on the control panel! :)
Ralph

Last thing the fireman said: "Do you suppose we should slow down just a tad as we pass through town?" :mrgreen: