New Bend Track updates

dannparks

Well after taking the summer off for other hobbies, I got back working on the railroad. I realized that I had too much track going on and not enough space for scenery, so I removed a large yard area running through the center and simplified the module connection points.

_dec-09%20053.jpg

I decided to finish off the simple 2' x 4' straight module with a rural farm scene. My wife grew up on a farm that grew grapes for raisins. She described the process where they picked the grapes and dried them on large pieces of paper between the rows, so I tried to model that.

dec-09%20026.jpg

Here are some more photos. The details of how I made the grape vines and row crops are on the Picassa site. It was all cut into the pink foam. http://picasaweb.google.com/dannsparks/BendTrack#

_dec-09%20045.jpg

dec-09%20005.jpg

dec-09%20046.jpg

Sawdust

Very nice job Dannparks. Enjoyed your site as well. When I glue foam board together & after carving I paint first coat to cause any layer seams to show up. I take spackling compound & fill these areas with my finger slightly not to make a smooth area anywhere. I then paint again. Your fields look really nice but I didn't see any raisins :mrgreen:.

dannparks

Thanks for the suggestions on covering the seams between layers of foam board. I'll try that as I get into the mountains. What base color do you use for the rocky areas you carve? And what is your color/layering/wash process?

The grapes (drying into raisins) are on those manila-colored pieces of paper between and around the grape vines. This is how my father-in-law did it on his farm in the 50's and 60's. All hand labor. I don't imagine they do it that way now.

Sawdust

I'm sorry I was just kidding about not seeing the raisins. I use gray or tan base coats mostly. My washes I use gray, tan & black. I mix the gray & tan 50/50 with water. The black I don't use as much paint maybe 8oz to 16oz of water. Sometimes lastly I dry brush a little white to highlight the edges of the outcroppings. When gluing the foam board together I use the cheap painters caulk & weigh it down with bricks for drying. If I'm in a hurry to carve I push finish nails into the middle areas (away from the carving areas)of the foam board to hold it together. I buy real dirt at the local nursery for $2. for a 5 gallon bucket. I made up a color swatch of the dirt & took it to Home Depot & got a gallon mixed for the base coating. Hope all this helps.

dannparks

What kind of dirt do you get at the nursery? It must not be potting soil. I assume you sift it and apply it just like ground foam. How much does the color change when it is saturated with scenic cement? I have been using Arizona Rock dirt and it can get sort of mottled as it gets more or less glue in it.

Sawdust

The dirt I get is top soil not potting soil. It is brown in color. I first zap it in the microwave to kill any organizisms then I sift it. I put the lumps in a coffee can. When I get a good pile of that I put some between two flat patio pavers & grind that up & sift again. I wet the dirt first with wet water (water with a drop of dish detergent) then spray on the water & glue solution. My biggest problem I have never found a good spray bottle, I get a lot of drops & that makes lumps.

Bill Nelson

This is really looking good!

On the section with the round house, I really like the way you have the track flow, especially the crossing near the turntable. that is going to look really good when you get it sceniced.

Thanks for sharing!

Bill Nelson