New Battlestar Galactica Hangar Bay

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Here is a website that has thousands of different fonts to include hundreds of sci-fi (even t.v. series) fonts. Everything from Star Trek to Stargate and everything in between.

http://www.dafont.com/

I hope that it helps.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello again, and hi, silver! :wave:

Sorry for my lazy posting, but life's been busy at the moment. However, I have found some time to make some BIG progress. All components of the bay have been revised to fit and I succeeded in making the Hangar Bay font myself. This is the first font I made and it looks pretty good.

I have noticed some severe differences between the blueprints and the CG model used in the series which made me reconsider certain aspects such as the width of the angled walls. If you obey the plans, everything looks too wide compared to pictures of the set. If you build the model according to the CG version, the walls are too slim so that the lower parts of the lauch tube doors are unable to fully tilt. So I decided to use a width somewhere inbetween those two versions. :cry:

But the most annoying fact I discovered was that the repair bays are too small for the Mk. VII! The Mk. II fits inside the bays, but very tightly (with a margin of about 0.5'). The Mk. VII from the plans has foldable wings which fold down to make her fit. Since neither the final CG model nor the life-size mock-up has foldable wings the wingspan of the fighter exceeds the width of the repair bay by 3'. And yes, because of this she wouldn't fit inside the lauch tubes, too. :curse:

That was quite a bummer.

I believe this is the reason why you don't see a complete Mk. VII mock-up inside the lauch tube; it simply doesn't fit! (In the mini-series they pulled only a complete Mk. II into the tube.)

The only way to solve this problem was to deliberately disobey the plans and make the repair bays and the launch tubes wider. RB and I think that the fitting of the planes outweighs the cold numbers in the plans; making a top-notch accuarate hangar doesn't make sense when you are unable to put a plane inside. So I stretched the bays by 5' and made them 20' wide. Now everything fits. Even the upcoming Mk. I. (Ooops, spoiler alert!) :mrgreen:

Followers of the "Jay's" thread might already know that I have unfolded the Viper Mk. VII. I changed some proportions to make it look like the ZOIC model (the original CG model by the ship pack team is too wide which means that the previous unfold by Jay does not fit inside the bays). And yes, I have included an opening for a cockpit interior. :twisted:

Another big news is that RB and I are preparing a cockpit interior add-on kit for Ninjatoes' Mk. II. I have rescaled the ship pack CG model to match NJ's and will work from this as a base.

So that's all for today. Stay tuned! :wave:

Attachments

• hb4E.jpg
    hb4E.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 41
  • hb4E2.jpg
    hb4E2.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 35
  • hb4E3.jpg
    hb4E3.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 42

silveroxide

Thanks for the update. Now I have to wait for your updated Viper and do them all over again. Boomer! But a good Boomer.

Danscrew

Danscrew
Now............that's gona be a manificent build.

Building Paper craft is great but the persons who make it possible are extrahordinaire !!!

You ROCK Revell-fan ! :thumb: x1000

DanBKing

Dan the Man
An interior for the Mk.II .......??? Oh yes please....:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
I will join the queue for that.....

I have the Viper already printed and ready to build.....

(But I WILL finish the Discovery first... ;) )

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thank you all for your encouragement and patience! Life's been very busy lately which slows this project a bit down, but rest assured, I'll give you some updates pretty soon! Stay tuned!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello again!

It's been a while but now I'm back with this one. I've started to break the hangar bay up into sections. RB and I will soon begin the first tests.

Attachments

• hangar-element1.jpg
    hangar-element1.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 20

mcusanelli

RF and RB,
You guys are really terrific doing all this work for us - I'm so looking forward to the Vipers, can't wait to see them sitting next to my Raptor!
Mike

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Everything is in 1:32 scale so that you may display your 1:32 Vipers, Raptors and Thunderfighters properly.