New Baldwin Class B Model

Model Railroad Warehouse has just posted a shot of the pre-production Baldwin Class B brass body kit and it looks great! Just ready for your own details and stuff to hang off of it. It's designed to use the Bachmann 70T diesel motor trucks. Here's the link: http://www.mrrwarehouse.com

There's going to be a run of the Class D units and I have my reservation in for a pair of those body kits. They'll look good with pantographs and airtanks on top. My large HE herald may just look okay centered on the cab body side, too. Traction Action is Back! :p :D :cool:

Attachments

• 772-100.jpg
    772-100.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 263

jetrock

I'm awaiting the Baldwin-D as well--must give them a call and reserve one! I already have a 70-tonner waiting around for the axe...

Sempak

Thats not a B class... this is a B class!

20020921-toolamba-8393-b74-gm-36-s303-pass.jpg

or this...

20030809_B2-2010-PM.jpg

As for a D class...

20040506-D2-5003-SWFR-01-AC.jpg

:D

jetrock said:
I'm awaiting the Baldwin-D as well--must give them a call and reserve one! I already have a 70-tonner waiting around for the axe...
Hey, Jet...

Yeah, I have to get a couple of 70 tonners myself. I'm interested to see if John over at AMB LaserKit comes out with parts for it like he did for the 40 ton GE steeple cab. This will be my medium duty road switcher. I'm still trying to figure out what to get for my fast 'n heavy hauler. A 'Little Joe' perhaps?

Russ

jetrock

The Baldwin-D was a "fast & heavy hauler" in its own domain--one sore temptation will be the possibility of kitbashing a Baldwin steeplecab to the "high speed passenger" trucks the OA&E/SN had for their early passenger runs--they had an extra set of trailing wheels (I think the designation is B-1+B-1) on each truck and were geared for high-speed operation, carrying passengers from Sacramento to Oakland at 80 MPH or so (not bad for 1914!)

606.jpg

My other choice for a heavy electric is the Northern Electric/SN's 1010 (later 410.) The only options here are either to hunt down the Suydam brass version of the original full-length engine, or scratchbuild the later, cut-down version. Since I'm modeling the later SN, the cut-down scratch version seems like a better choice--and I can use an Athearn SW1500 undercarriage to power it! All I need now is a good riveting jig...
410.jpg

I tried an overhaul of my current Suydam Baldwin-Westinghouse engine and am having trouble getting things to work right--things keep shorting out. My soldering skills are a little rusty, and the engine seems to run pretty smoothly if fast...if I can figure out how to repower it with a nice can motor and flywheel...but for now I figure I'll just get it running. If I can...

interurban

Good stuff Jetrock :thumb:
I have 1010 S N the full size Brass, I tried to sell it at Ottawa, must be to pricy :( I only wanted $350.00 Can. :)
So it is Back on the roster for a while.
Keep us posted you two on your progress please. :wave:

ross31r

is the top one a D class then?

got my first traction books yesterday - both volumes of the Pacific Electric photgraphical history and an old kalmbach book.
In fact is the one you hptocopied bits from for me Chris - and i got them as freebies!

id like a Nice CMStP&P E1 like in my avatar - always thought they are great looking engines, big for a traction line but oh well, its MY line!!!

jetrock

ross31R: The photo above is a B-class--a little bit smaller than the D.

Is the Kalmbach book the "Traction Guidebook"? That thing is VERY handy, although it is lacking in some areas (like articles on laying girder rail.) If you can pick up one of the Suydam interurban catalog/handbooks, do so: they have some handy pointers on building interurban layouts, color scheme suggestions, and brief histories of most of the items in the catalog.

ross31r

yes thats the one, who are Suydam?

already busy on freight motor number 2, the IHC boxcab i brought is finished and awaiting its panto, box motor Number 1 is finally finished (all the bodywork gaps are filled) and awaiting its panto. Now just got to figure out a way to turn an F7B into freight motor number 2!

interurban

ross31r said:
yes thats the one, who are Suydam?

already busy on freight motor number 2, the IHC boxcab i brought is finished and awaiting its panto, box motor Number 1 is finally finished (all the bodywork gaps are filled) and awaiting its panto. Now just got to figure out a way to turn an F7B into freight motor number 2!

The F7b should be a good prospect :p Are you thinking of making a brass frame ? SW motor?
If you strip a caboose and cut the end stairs and railings off, lots of sanding on the side of the F7B and filler, hhhhhmmmmmm got to see this ross :thumb:

jetrock

IHC boxcab? Not familiar with this... is that the same as the Roundhouse boxcab, or something else?

Suydam: Ed Suydam was an importer/seller of brass trolley and interurban models as well as a line of structures and accessories for model railroads. He is no longer with us but his company is still around as Alpine Division Scale Models (see http://www.alpinemodels.com/ ) and while they no longer import brass interurbans they still sell components for trolley overhead.

The Suydam Interurban Handbooks pop up on eBay once in a while--it serves as a combination catalog of Suydam products (which also pop up on eBay once in a while but cost more) and basic guide to trolley modeling.

ross31r

well i was thinking of using the powered chassis from one of the Athearn F7A partner units (and then combining the A units into a single double ended unit)