New AutoRacks

babydot94513

Member in training
I observed today for the first time, the newest style in autoracks. The ones I saw have apparently been parked for a week on the yard tracks at the former Dupont Chemical plant in, Antioch, CA.

Really a neat design and I can see where the builders have managed to squeeze in the capability to hold a few more autos.

Now the question. Am I to assume that a shipment of new autos is expected from Japan at the Benicia auto facility and these autoracks are for said arrival after the new year?

I cannot see any reason to park 20 or so brand new autoracks at the place where they are at now other than BNSF knows there is an inbound overseas arrival scheduled.

Pooh Bah
Jeff:
Are they in number order, or close to it? Does the (train) car maker have a plant nearby, so that they may be stored awaiting delivery?
I know that we occasionally have trains of new cars, containing most of a sequence, being delivered.
What are they? any pix?

babydot94513

Member in training
David, sorry but no pix available. They are a mix of cars ie: CSX, BNSF, CN, CP and a few others I cannot recall. The closest auto mfg facility is in Milpitas, California and is the NUMMI - New United Motors Manufacturing and is approx. 50 miles from Antioch where these autoracks are located. Additionally, the NUMMI plant is also on the UP system and the racks are on BNSF.