New Athearn RTR f-units

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
A friend at the modular club brought a set of the new ready to run Athearn f-units to the meeting last month. There are the r-t-r versions of the old blue box, not Genesis. I noticed the paint was a lot sharper than the old models. The model was done in Santa Fe passenger and the stripes around the war bonnett were sharp, clear, and scale width! I just bought an A-B set, and when I test ran the powered A unit at the hobby shop, I was amazed at how smooth and quiet it is. I also tried to see how slow int would run, and it is a real creeper!

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
You're right, Russ. Horizon seems to be getting their act together, especially as far as the paint jobs are concerned. I was looking at some Athearn blue-box stuff at the local hobby shop, and the new paint jobs really make those 40 year old cars come to life. And those new milk cars in their Roundhouse line are very well done. I really hope that they can continue to offer these simple kits and keep the price reasonable, not only for cheapskates like me, but also for young people just starting out, on a limited budget, as most of us did.

Wayne

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
The one problem with the kits is that they make more on r-t-r, so it is hard to get the kits.
Glen, I haven't had time to take it apart to install the decoder. As soon as I do, I'll let you know what I find.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
The hex drive line plays a important part..It quieted the RTR units down and they run much smoother then the BB kits.However..I read that the newer BB Engine kits have the new hex drive shaft.
=========================================================

Wayne said:Horizon seems to be getting their act together, especially as far as the paint jobs are concerned.
=========================================================
Wayne,Horizon is just the DISTRIBUTOR..Athearn is still in charge of MANUFACTURING-not Horizon.:D Also please don't think all RTR engines are the old BB units..Most of the NEWER RTR is the former Rail Power shells or all new tooling.
==========================================================
Glenn,If everybody in your club hasn't seen or test ran the newer RTR units such as the SD45-2,SD50/60,the GP35 ,the CF7 etc then they are in for a surprise.:thumb:
=======================================================
Russ,If you can't find any BB car kits at your local shop then to put it nicely your dealer isn't stocking them.As examples..

http://www.firsthobby.com/store1/Category.asp?CategoryID=2001081314093645&SN=2006032608222703

http://www.cchobbies.com/hoscale/freightcars/athearnboxcars1.htm

You can see the 2006 kit production schedule here.Its next to the bottom in the right side column by the new tank car picture..
http://www.athearn.com/

Also check here for kits in stock.Lower right hand corner.
http://www.athearn.com/Products/HO/Default.aspx

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
I have to agree with the step Athearn has taken in improving thier old BB's. I bought one of the new GP-35's(Read my reveiw in the Spring 2004 E-Mag).
They are a lot better, even if they cost a little bit more.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
Russ Bellinis said:
The one problem with the kits is that they make more on r-t-r, so it is hard to get the kits.
Glen, I haven't had time to take it apart to install the decoder. As soon as I do, I'll let you know what I find.

exactly, i wnated to order a kit of a dummy ADM103 to repair my current powered one, and now they don't make those kits anymore. the athearn site doesn't say they are discontinued, but they aren't listed on the main product page. i don't think my order will ever come....

although i think they should still sell the kits. the kits are even cheaper than the RTR versions.