new aquisition: P2K Sd-9

Glen Haasdyk

I recieved the second SD-7/9 earlier in the week. It had a lousy BN paint (nothing against BN just the paint job was lousy) over a factory great Northern. That's kinda too bad because If it was GN I would have kept it that way.
Anyway After spending an hour or so removing all the detail parts and handrails it's beeing striped to the bare shell right now and I'll soon be able to re-assemble and start to add the detail parts to it. I was going to mix both units to make one good one but the second has all the parts that I need so I'll just repaint and detail it and leave the original. The second also has no dynamic brakes. I would swap the dynamic brake blister off the first shell but I'd still be a couple fans short so I'll just live without. On the plus side there was a nice winterization hatch on the sewcond shell that I was going add anyway.

i told you the repaint was lousy, at least i can honestly say i had nothing to do with the paint job, had it been a GN paint and left alone i would of kept it and run it with my athearn gp 7
i like that old paint job.
glad you got in one piece and happy

L

lester perry

i wish the previous owner had left it as it was out of the box. i am sure i would liked it better that way. i paid 10 bucks for it used as is at a show. so i thought maybe i could deal with it. I thought about stripping it down and painting it a grey prime and leaving it as that. when i purchased it all iknew it was a P2K model and the price was right. A steal i did not pay much attention to the paint job as i knew it was rough, and since i only have a 8 foot by 2 foot yard layout I thought a smaller 6 axle unit would work as a switcher, so i was happy, but now moved back to Canada from the US, I am trying to unload the Non Canadian units from my fleet. I have way too many of them.
i will try and strip it down using 99 percent alcohol and see what happens. i can see the factory paint thru the green, so maybe i can make it looked weathered and have the old paint show thru in places.
send pics of your model when done
I have used brake fluid on athern shell there is also commercial products that are available. I have used one called camilion with success

Glen Haasdyk

I soaked the parts in 99% isopropl Alcohol overnight and the paint slid right off, no damage to the plastic at all. There isn't a nasty smell to the process either so I can do it in my laundry room.

CCT70

Hey Glen, I found 3 of the 36" fans you need to finish that thing off tonight on a spare parts drawer. Unfortunately, an SD-7/9 takes 4 fans, but if you put a winterization hatch on the lead fan, you'd only need 3. In fact, I'm sure I can dig up a hatch too. Let me know if you need them and I'll stick them in an envelope and send them to you.

Tom

diesel

Glen,

Glad you're taking the time out to do this type of modeling and that people here could help.... In that same spirit, I gotta say, I'm glad to see the SD 9-3 in it's current state; it's called moderinzation. It was either that or the scrapyard (although the environment would have been happy to see it go, unless they made it tier 3....) Not only that it gives modelers something unique to do. You won't be able to buy that from Proto 2000,

All things change as they age. I don't know how much you know about military equipment, but look at the USS Enterprise, (my father is a 'plankowner' on board 'E' - look that term up) That boat is going on 47 years old, looks different than she did when launched, packs the same punch as the newly launched Reagan.

Glen Haasdyk

Thanks Tom. I already have a few of the fans and the winter hatch but I'm still missing a couple fans for the dynamic brake housing. That would be great If you could send them. I'll PM you my address.

CCT70

You got it.

I'll swing by the layout tomorrow and grab them and get them off in the mail.

Tom